Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
gezs
gezs began at the beginning.

Device: K2US
New K2 US - software update not sucessfull freezes

Brand new K2 US version arrived today. It arrived with 2.3.3 on it. Amazon pushed a software update this afternoon and it was not successfully installed. After playing with the power switch for a couple hours I finally got it to restart. Amazon support suggested manually doing the update to 2.5.2 from the website.

I followed the instructions and on Stage 2 of 3 it said it was not successfull again. It would then load up but never show the books it was visible to usb etc but stayed on the Amazon Kindle loading screen. I held down the power switch for a minute and it just froze. Repeated earlier frustration of 1 minute hold power wait 5 minutes see if it would reset then repeating till finally it started to reboot again and I held down home to get into recovery mode.

Well it popped up saying to restore to factory defaults type RESET so I did and it prompltly hung again when reboot completed.

I again did the reset and wait reset and wait.. a couple hours later I finally get it running again. Now it reports firmware as 2.5. Happy I started loading some books.. I sat it down for a few minutes and it started software update AGAIN..

This time it went through perfectly not problems at all. It came up at 2.5.2. YAY.. Well I got distracted a few minutes and it started software update again!@!@

It gets about 75% done and stops.. a few minutes later it says not successfull again!#@%@#! It immediately rebooted and started to install again this time it completes! I sigh a bit of relief but it reboots and hangs again on the Kindle screen!!!!!!!

30 minutes later of reset and wait reset and wait it finally came up at 2.5.4!

I'm wondering if I should get it replaced. Is it common to have so many problems with firmware updates on a factory fresh unit?
gezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The kindle you have is not a US version, it is an International version. US versions were not produced after November 2009. And therefore I dont think it is supposed to be updating to 2.5.4 as that is for US versions. Sounds a little strange.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
gezs
gezs began at the beginning.

Device: K2US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
The kindle you have is not a US version, it is an International version. US versions were not produced after November 2009. And therefore I dont think it is supposed to be updating to 2.5.4 as that is for US versions. Sounds a little strange.
Its definately a US model serial B002 from warehouse obvious new old stock sold as refurb. Sorry for any confusion.

Now that the updates are all installed its stable. I just worry a future update may result in more frustration.

sent from my kindle
gezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 AM   #4
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Key word: refurb. Not to be harsh, but "you pays your money, you takes your chances"
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
Key word: refurb. Not to be harsh, but "you pays your money, you takes your chances"
Really? I've been lucky, then, because I've bought almost all my small electronics as refurbs. (2 Ipods, Sony Reader, K2, just off the top of my head.) Knocking on wood, but I've never had a problem. I read once that refurbs are sometimes safer to buy than something straight from the factory, because you can be pretty sure that somebody has actually tested the reburbished unit to make sure it's back in working condition, whereas the new ones are randomly tested. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I've been able to buy things refurbished that I never would have been able to afford otherwise. I can only speak of my own experience, of course, but I never hesitate to buy refurbished electronics.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert