Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Prevent changing the clock in Europe

It is a nice feature - the prs-950 changes the clock to the current time, when you are connected to the internet. But - for this feature the device uses the time-zone-setting and at this place, customers outside the US have a problem: you can choose between US-time-zones only . And so I was surprised today in the morning , that my PRS-950 "lived" in the yesterday, while I am a day further.

The result are two questions :

1) Is it possible to prevent the device changing the time?
2) Is it possible to set another time zone than the built-in?

for your
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950sc
up
grissley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
To my knowledge the porkupan / boroda "russified" fw allows to set any timezone
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I got the russified firmware and don't see any option for setting a time zone other than US...
Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
grissley, go to Settings>About>TZONE. Keep toggling "TZONE" until your correct time zone comes up (it will appear right to the left under "Optional Settings").

I have the boroda firmware and I can toggle between any of the world's time zones. The boroda firmware is very nice.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
grissley
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
grissley, go to Settings>About>TZONE.
Dear my -"About" is probably the only set I hadn't even checked...
thx PatNY!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Is this alternative firmware "stable", no problems within installing (in the first instance), managing the device with calibre and reading books?
I read much about this firmware but I'm undetermined yet...
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had the Baroda firmware on my 350 for over a month and have never once had a glitch with using the reader. So I would say it is pretty stable. I use Calibre exclusively to manage my books on the 350.

The only hiccup I had with the Baroda firmware was trying to update it to the newest release. For some reason I kept getting an "access denied" error when running the install script on my Windows XP system. Nothing harmful happened; the install script just wouldn't run to completion. But I booted into safe mode and was then was able to run the script.

On the download page for the Baroda firmware, there is a link to the original firmware for all 3 current readers so you can always put that back if you want to.

The reason I took the plunge was because you can change the default font with this firmware. You don't need to adjust each individual epub and embed fonts in order to get the font you want. I now use either Georgia or Adobe Garamond Pro with my epubs on the 350.

As long as you follow the instructions to a "T" and don't try to do your own alterations to the baroda firmware itself, you should be safe.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grissley View Post
Dear my -"About" is probably the only set I hadn't even checked...
thx PatNY!
The new options you get are pretty well hidden or not obvious when you first install this firmware so it's understandable why you bypassed the timezone feature. At first I couldn't figure out the screenshot feature for the life of me!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
have the same problem with the timezone thing, but I'll just have to get used to it, since id rather not install any fw. Maybe i should just get used to doing the math in my head
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote