Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
betty77
betty77 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nook Simple Touch effects questions

Hi,

I just got a Nook Simple Touch and am loving it for reading. I am really curious about rooting it now, but I have a few questions.

1) After rooting, will I still be able to read books for free at barnes & noble?

2) Are the page turns as fast as the updated software 1.1 Nook Simple Touch? One of the reason I finally got the nook was I was surprised at how fast the page turned w/o the very obvious blink I noticed several months ago.

3) Does running android decrease the battery life a lot? I don't want to run anything fancy, just e-mail and rss feeds, and web browsing (mostly visiting forums). Most color androids last maybe 7-9hours, while this nook says 2 months.

These are my 3 biggest concerns. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by betty77; 01-09-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added additional concern
betty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I wrote a big response to this and lost it somehow. So I'm just going to make it simple. Its not really worth.

Can't read books for free from B&N (not sure why you think they would become free). Rooting the device has no effect on the B&N reader. Browsing forums is not realistic on this device and I have Opera Mini on it. Looking some thing up briefly is feasible. Battery takes a huge hit.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
betty77
betty77 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I wrote a big response to this and lost it somehow. So I'm just going to make it simple. Its not really worth.

Can't read books for free from B&N (not sure why you think they would become free). Rooting the device has no effect on the B&N reader. Browsing forums is not realistic on this device and I have Opera Mini on it. Looking some thing up briefly is feasible. Battery takes a huge hit.
Thanks so much for your response. This is exactly the type of response I was looking for. I think I will leave it then.
betty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty77 View Post
Thanks so much for your response. This is exactly the type of response I was looking for. I think I will leave it then.
If I had known I would have left it as well. But since I am here I'm just going to leave it the way it is for now. Reason I rooted it is I was looking for better library management on the B&N side which right now doesn't exist (as of yet). There might be something in the works but its a long way off (if at all).
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
just_me
just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.just_me is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post

I do not think the original meaning was that B&N books would become free. The question was if the books which can be read for free without rooting (in store, special offers) would still remain free after rooting. If I am right, I can say that for me there was no difference in this aspect after rooting.
Rooting for me was a good option. You have access to things not available without rooting (different reader software, additional software, changing the look and feel, new functionality - for example setting the cover of the current book as a screensaver, to be shown when the Nook is in sleep mode).
just_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
I was itching about rooting my new NST.
Just in case, I gave it to my wife, she has an old K2, so I can now rest... No rooting no nuking.
If I want a tablet for Android I can buy one (color) tablet, about the same price on eBay, and enjoy it without any guilt.
By the way, she loves her NST, far better than her old e-reader.
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote