Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #16
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Live Girls by Ray Garton-

"Davey's on the down and out when he loses his girl, his job and practically his sanity. While some men drown themselves in a forgiving bottle, Davey believes it's much more profitable to sink into Times Square's nightlife and lose himself inside Live Girls. They are the free ravishing pleasures who beckon Davey into a world of irresistible fantasy and ecstasy. One of them propositions him with a kiss, an insatiable kiss that leads him far from the misery he once felt to a demonic place where body and soul are sacrificed for obsessions."

its a minor classic in the horror field.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #17
Xoanon
Enthusiast
Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xoanon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Let the Right One In By John Ajvide Lindqvist is the best vampire novel I have read recently.
Xoanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #18
Arcflup
Arcflup can extract oil from cheeseArcflup can extract oil from cheeseArcflup can extract oil from cheeseArcflup can extract oil from cheeseArcflup can extract oil from cheeseArcflup can extract oil from cheeseArcflup can extract oil from cheeseArcflup can extract oil from cheese

Device: Lots
If you want Wamphyri there can be only one answer: Clicky the original five book series, the bolt ons weren't so good, but the first five....Wow!

I don't think they are "officially" available in ebook form though.

Read them of your own free will.
Arcflup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #19
theenframed
Enthusiast
theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.theenframed can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
I am currently reading the last book in the Strain trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I didn't expect to enjoy the trilogy as much as I have. It is a new, and modern, take on the vampire mythos. Oh, and it is quite, quite bleak.
theenframed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Two classics that are in the public domain and available at Project Gutenberg are Varney the Vampire, by Thomas Preskett Prest, and Carmilla, by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #21
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Will check them out! Generally I'm not into vampire detective stories but you never know!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #22
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Although not the main character True Blood series by Charlaine Harris is based around Vampires
The Noble Dead series by Barb & J C Hendee which revolves around a half Vampire slaying Vampires or
a series I really enjoyed was the Hollows Series by Kim Harrison which the main characters are a witch and a vampire. Not really specifically about vampires but they feature all the time.
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
Although not the main character True Blood series by Charlaine Harris is based around Vampires
The Noble Dead series by Barb & J C Hendee which revolves around a half Vampire slaying Vampires or
a series I really enjoyed was the Hollows Series by Kim Harrison which the main characters are a witch and a vampire. Not really specifically about vampires but they feature all the time.
Charlene Harris' series is actually called The Southern Vampire Series (AKA The Southern Vampire Mysteries). It is also referred to as the Sookie Stackhouse series. True Blood is the TV show, and is very different from the novels, other than the main characters.

Both the books and the show are fantastic, IMO, but there are fans who prefer one over the other.

The Hollows/Rachel Morgan series is also a lot of fun! The Hollows fits in better with your "No Romance" request, even though there is quite a bit of sexual tension.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #24
Harlock415
Connoisseur
Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Harlock415 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Southern Vampire books are great, although it does have a little romance to them.

Good recommendations so far, allow me to add

Brian Stableford's Empire of Fear

Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons is about psychic vampires

Let's not forget Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Too bad Storm Constantine's Burrying the Shadow is not available in ebook. It's a very well down re-telling of the Vampire mythos.

And if you can track down a used copy, I recommend They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon. Apparently he is not fond of that early book and won't have t reissued.

Last edited by dreams; 11-07-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: [affiliate links removed - moderation]
Harlock415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #25
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Thanks again for all the recommends! Looking forward to checking out the blurbs on all these books to see if any pique my interest!

I don't like the True Blood tv show. I have tried to get into it but haven't been able to. So maybe I'd like the books better.

Let The Right One In - I really enjoyed the movie - the foreign one. I haven't seen the US remake.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #26
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcflup View Post
If you want Wamphyri there can be only one answer: Clicky the original five book series, the bolt ons weren't so good, but the first five....Wow!

I don't think they are "officially" available in ebook form though.

Read them of your own free will.
good call, i completely forgot about the necroscope series.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #27
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoanon View Post
Let the Right One In By John Ajvide Lindqvist is the best vampire novel I have read recently.
'Let The Right One In' was actually the first vampire book I read. I loved it.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #28
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by theenframed View Post
I am currently reading the last book in the Strain trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I didn't expect to enjoy the trilogy as much as I have. It is a new, and modern, take on the vampire mythos. Oh, and it is quite, quite bleak.
The 'Strain Trilogy' was excellent. How the authors portray vampires is exactly how I envision them to be. Definitely one of my favorite vampire series.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #29
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
One of my favorite vampire series ( and I do love vampires) is by Christoper Golden and is the Shadow Saga.

Pretty gory and also has a origin twist that I liked too

I don't think all the books though are in e-book format yet but the first book in the series is called Of Saints and Shadows
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #30
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
Hey Yakuza

Finding it cold here in E-city yet?
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote