Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
Format Mark-up in comment metada window

I just upgraded to 1.7.26 and now when I download metadata the comment field has a heap of formatting symbols. It doesn't effect the comment field in the main window so I was just wondering if it was a bug or nothing to worry about.

The below is and example from Stephen Kings novel Thinner.

<div>

<h3>Review</h3>
<div>
'An incredibly gifted writer, whose writing, like Truman Capote's, is so fluid that you often forget that you're reading' -- Guardian 'Astonishingly good...honourable, deeply felt and almost wonderful' -- Independent on HEARTS IN ATLANTIS

</div>
<h3>Product Description</h3>
<div>
After an old gypsy woman is killed by his car, lawyer Billy Halleck is stricken with a flesh-wasting malady and must undertake a nightmarish journey to confront the forces of death. Movie tie-in. Book available.

</div>
</div>

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone else experienced this and is it now normal.
Regards

Last edited by bigpallooka; 11-01-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Add a PS
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I've seen that as well. My guess is that the comments field doesn't understand HTML.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Squeak
Squeak began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I have that too and I want to remove it! Do I have to go through each new book and remove all the html markup in Calibre?? I do not want a <h3> heading. Even if the metadata window shows it correctly, I don't want a LARGE heading. Is there a way to automatically NOT download the html version of metadata?
Squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The amazon plugin was changed, it now return html markup . All the comments displaying regions in calibre support html, except the one in the edit metadata window, where you can actually edit the html

For those of you that don't want html there will be an option in the amazon plugin in the next release to have the html automatically converted to text.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Squeak
Squeak began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

For those of you that don't want html there will be an option in the amazon plugin in the next release to have the html automatically converted to text.
Thank you Thank you Thank you ....

~Squeak~
Squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The amazon plugin was changed, it now return html markup . All the comments displaying regions in calibre support html, except the one in the edit metadata window, where you can actually edit the html
That's exactly what I want. I want to see html where it's used and edit it in the edit metadata window - so when I see it everywhere else, it shows me html formatted comments. Thank you for the improvement.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

Thank You!

That will help me be less confused

I really should learn some HTML

Will it clean up those fields that have already got the HTML in them or just decode the HTML correctly in the field when downloaded in future?

Last edited by bigpallooka; 11-01-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
In my recently added books the html is in Amazon reviews.
I disabled the amazon metadata checkbox in the plugin and it seems to get the same data it was getting before. (summary etc.)
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

It worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
In my recently added books the html is in Amazon reviews.
I disabled the amazon metadata checkbox in the plugin and it seems to get the same data it was getting before. (summary etc.)
I only tried it on 1 book before I posted. I deleted the summary of the book which was downloaded with the plug-in unchanged (calibre o.7.2.6) today then ticked the box in the plug-in and downloaded the metadata again. This time the HTML was gone but the summary content was the same except in plain text