Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
TGinAZ
TGinAZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
e-book viewer problem

This is really weird!!

I have Calibre 0.9.14 (64-bit) running on a Windows 7 system.

I downloaded an Amazon free book the other day, removed the DRM crap, and added the book to my Calibre library.

I've read the book on my Kindle (sans DRM). I can read it on my Android phone with FBReader (also without DRM). I can even read it with Kindle for PC (no DRM). So I really don't need to know, but it's bugging me.... why would the Calibre e-book viewer allow me to see the cover but all pages are blank?

The location info in the upper left corner shows 2.0 / 449, and while I can increment the 2.0, nothing ever shows up in the window. I can also use the scroll bar to slide through the book, but nothing shows up, and the counter in the upper left doesn't change.

I sent the book to a friend running the same Calibre version and he could view the content without a problem.

I opened the database with an older version of Calibre (32-bit 0.8.64 IIRC) and no content displays there either.

After all that, I'm just confused. I'd have to admit it's not a Calibre problem, but I'm not even sure I know what to look at..... any suggestions?

Thanks!
TGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Completely wild shot in the dark.. perhaps you've got the text & background color are the same? I realize that wouldn't freeze the location info, but it is the only thing I can imagine at the moment.

Is this book in MOBI/AZW3 format? I know lots of folks were having issues with that format recently. Some kind of error which requires re-converting and using the other format/extension to get around the problem.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Some things to try:

1. See if you can highlight the text in the viewer.
2. Try to convert into some other format, for example epub (and you can unzip that if you want to check the code, or compare with other epubs to check for odd files)
3. If you unzip the epub, try to open one of the html-s with the browser.

Though the fact that only Calibre viewer balks at the text makes me doubt that #1 gives any results.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
TGinAZ
TGinAZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Completely wild shot in the dark.. perhaps you've got the text & background color are the same? I realize that wouldn't freeze the location info, but it is the only thing I can imagine at the moment.

Is this book in MOBI/AZW3 format? I know lots of folks were having issues with that format recently. Some kind of error which requires re-converting and using the other format/extension to get around the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Some things to try:

1. See if you can highlight the text in the viewer.
2. Try to convert into some other format, for example epub (and you can unzip that if you want to check the code, or compare with other epubs to check for odd files)
3. If you unzip the epub, try to open one of the html-s with the browser.

Though the fact that only Calibre viewer balks at the text makes me doubt that #1 gives any results.

Wild shots are seemingly a good thing in this case... at least you're offering something I haven't tried yet! But no joy.... I haven't modified text/background colors, and I tried selecting random parts of the blank page and saw nothing.

The book format is MOBI. While I understand trying to convert it *might* help, if the Calibre e-book viewer doesn't see anything, will the Calibre converter find anything to convert (rhetorical question)?

BUT IT DOES!!! I just completed the conversion to EPUB, and the Calibre viewer shows everything just fine!! (So yours was a great suggestion!)

I also just converted MOBI to MOBI.... now I'm seeing for formats: EPUB, MOBI, ORIGINAL_MOBI. The ORIGINAL_MOBI still shows up as blank. The EPUB and MOBI both show text!!!

A kazillion years ago I was a programmer. (Do you guys these days even know what assembly language is?) So I have an understanding of the complexities involved. From my perspective I'm always amazed that any of this stuff actually works, let alone works as well as Calibre!! Yes, that is my compliment to the developers!

Last edited by TGinAZ; 01-18-2013 at 09:13 AM.
TGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Original_Mobi IS the backup of your previous Mobi file and is only created when doing same format (re)conversions
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGinAZ View Post

The book format is MOBI. While I understand trying to convert it *might* help, if the Calibre e-book viewer doesn't see anything, will the Calibre converter find anything to convert (rhetorical question)?

BUT IT DOES!!! I just completed the conversion to EPUB, and the Calibre viewer shows everything just fine!! (So yours was a great suggestion!)
I don't know exactly what happened, but as I've pieced together from assorted clues scattered through the forum, the manufacturer changed the file format but not the file extension. So there are old format MOBIs and new format MOBIs. Hardware ereaders can only understand the formats they have drivers for - unfortunately for users, their is no (external) way to tell which type of MOBI you've got. So one ereader can open the file and the next cannot.

Luckily the conversion process can correct things, making the fix relatively simple. Annoying, but simple.

I'm very glad I was able to suggest a fix!
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote