Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Yeah, but I want to know what happened with Ulysses? Technically it looks like you only really read 159 books in 2010.
OK, true. I suppose I really ought to try to get a bit further in with it. It's the crazy typography that really sets my teeth on edge.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
OK, true. I suppose I really ought to try to get a bit further in with it. It's the crazy typography that really sets my teeth on edge.
I would have thought it would have been the boring writing that would have put you to sleep.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Thanks to issybird, caleb72, and sherkanner for the search links and blurbs. Thanks also to kogi for the great set up of links and blurbs and to pdurrant, our new moderator, for jumping in with keeping post #2 updated. This greatly helps keep things easy to follow and up-to-date.

Tom, Paul, and I will be working to keep the nominations updated and your links and blurbs are a real help to us.

Post #2 is updated through post #28 and post #1 now has 3 fully nominated books.
It looks like Hyperion already has three nominations.

And speaking of Hyperion, it has 4.18 of 5 stars 4.18 avg rating — 12,769 ratings on Goodreads. So you know it'll be a good read to have such a high rating from so many people.

Quote:
On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope—and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #34
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
With my last vote I'll nominate A Canticle For Leibowitz.

Quote:
Walter M. Miller's acclaimed SF classic A Canticle for Leibowitz opens with the accidental excavation of a holy artifact: a creased, brittle memo scrawled by the hand of the blessed Saint Leibowitz, that reads: "Pound pastrami, can kraut, six bagels--bring home for Emma." To the Brothers of Saint Leibowitz, this sacred shopping list penned by an obscure, 20th-century engineer is a symbol of hope from the distant past, from before the Simplification, the fiery atomic holocaust that plunged the earth into darkness and ignorance. As 1984 cautioned against Stalinism, so 1959's A Canticle for Leibowitz warns of the threat and implications of nuclear annihilation. Following a cloister of monks in their Utah abbey over some six or seven hundred years, the funny but bleak Canticle tackles the sociological and religious implications of the cyclical rise and fall of civilization, questioning whether humanity can hope for more than repeating its own history. Divided into three sections--Fiat Homo (Let There Be Man), Fiat Lux (Let There Be Light), and Fiat Voluntas Tua (Thy Will Be Done)--Canticle is steeped in Catholicism and Latin, exploring the fascinating, seemingly capricious process of how and why a person is canonized. --Paul Hughes

“Extraordinary ... chillingly effective.”— Time

“Angry, eloquent ... a terrific story.”— The New York Times

“An extraordinary novel ... Prodigiously imaginative, richly comic, terrifyingly grim, profound both intellectually and morally, and, above all ... simply such a memorable story as to stay with the reader for years.”— Chicago Tribune

“An exciting and imaginative story ... Unconditionally recommended.”— Library Journal
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll second Canticle for Leibowitz.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It looks like Hyperion already has three nominations....
Nice catch, Jon.

ATTENTION Folks: We're a bit shorthanded at the present time, so if members will double-check behind us to make sure that no nomination gets slighted, it will be appreciated.

And special thanks to dreams for keeping up with things during my crazy work hours this week.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
With my last vote I'll nominate A Canticle For Leibowitz.
I can't find an ebook of this one. Could you supply a link?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #38
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Oddly enough, I'm only finding it in a large-print edition here.

Also, by google searching for an ebook of it, there are a few sites offering it for free.... I don't know if they're legal though (they may be, but I'm not familiar with this sort of thing) so I'm not linking them.

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-20-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Oddly enough, I'm only finding it in a large-print edition here.
I'll use that one, then. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I found two copies. They are both extra large print versions in PDF and Mobipocket. No idea if they have DRM. Do these qualify?

http://ebooks.ebookmall.com/ebook/278053-ebook.htm <-- PDF

http://ebooks.ebookmall.com/title/ca...ler-ebooks.htm <-- Mobipocket

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-20-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #41
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You can only vote for three. Do you want to vote for your choices, or drop one of them for Dune?
sherkanner may come back and clarify, but if s/he doesn't, I'd suggest using the first three mentioned; i.e. the Dune nom and the first two new noms. You seem to be already but I noticed that only two have been counted in the official tally so far, Dune and Hyperion, while the third listed, Ender's Game, hasn't yet.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It looks like Hyperion already has three nominations....
Quote:
Nice catch, Jon. ....
Quote:
sherkanner may come back and clarify....
I'll have to take that "Nice catch" back and undo the 3 full nominations for Hyperion until we get a clarification from sherkanner as to what is actually being nominated.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #43
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I'll have to take that "Nice catch" back and undo the 3 full nominations for Hyperion until we get a clarification from sherkanner as to what is actually being nominated.
I'll 3rd Hyperion.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'll 3rd Hyperion.
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #45
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm torn. There are some awesome nominations there. Luckily some are already thirded.

I've got two actions left. I might delay a little and see if some other nominations narrow my choices for me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote