Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Should the glow screen flicker?

The Aura HD is my first Kobo device and also my first device with a glow screen. A couple of times the first day I had it, I thought I detected a flicker, but it didn't seem to keep doing it, so then I thought it might just be my eyes being tired.

However, this morning, I woke up, the light in my bedroom was a bit on the dim side, and I woke the reader and started to read. But the screen was definitely flickering, subtle, but there and it was driving my eyes a bit buggy.

Brightness level was set at 4%, where I'd left it when dropping off to sleep. I showed it to my husband and he saw the flicker too. Shortly after, the room got brighter and I boosted the brightness level slightly to around 10% and then I didn't see the flicker.

I'm not sure what's normal for these devices, but I shouldn't think flicker would be right, since part of the reason for the glow screen is to be able to read in the dark.

I checked the battery level, it was at 47%, so it shouldn't have been because of low battery. (Though I am a bit disconcerted that the battery level is dropping so quickly, but for the moment, I'm putting that down to a lot of "play" with device settings and such.) I did charge it up to 100% on the 25th.

Anyway, should I ask Kobo for an exchange?

Last edited by graycyn; 04-27-2013 at 11:33 AM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I haven't noticed any flicker in my Aura, even with the setting pushed down to 1%. However, I have seen comments in the developer subforum that pushing the brightness of the Glo too low does result in flickering so maybe this sort of thing is more noticeable to some people than others. (Note: they were pushing the brightness lower than Kobo's software allows. That's why it was in the developer subforum!)

If the flickering is noticeable, I would definitely insist upon an exchange or refund.
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I have noticed no flicker on mine. If what Kobo says is true about Aura being limited edition, I'd go and get a refund sooner rather than later.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I'll see if it persists over the course of a day or two. I used it the night before last on 3% and it wasn't flickering then. I would probably go for an exchange, because I do like the screen!

My eyes are definitely sensitive to too much light reflecting back, so in a dark room, I am almost always going to be on lower settings. I started higher, but it was driving my eyes buggy, so I lowered it until I felt comfortable.

Last edited by graycyn; 04-27-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: paragraph break
Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Just a quick note about the battery,...
especially if you haven't charged it, don't be concerned it it falling too quickly...and even if you have, it takes a few charge cycles before you have a more accurate % given.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If the full battery charge doesn't cure that flicker, I would return it post-haste.

I don't own an Aura (yet), but I do own a Kobo Glo and a Kindle Paperwhite.

Flickering is NOT something you want - if it continues, then I would suggest that it is defective and would return it for a replacement.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard

I am watching for it, but it hasn't returned as yet.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Just a quick note about the battery,...
especially if you haven't charged it, don't be concerned it it falling too quickly...and even if you have, it takes a few charge cycles before you have a more accurate % given.
Yeah, I figure more charge cycles are needed before making any judgement on the battery. It dropped to 47% and then just stalled out there. Today it is down to 42%. I think once I am just reading, and not trying to put the device through all its paces, things will improve.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
I have been getting a flicker on my Kobo Glo recently. Usually turning it off and back on again fixes this. I am not very happy that this has happened with my Glo after less than 6 month's use (admittely I read for about 2 hrs per day). If this is happening to your brand new Aura, my advise is to send it back for a replacement.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
rihkama
rihkama began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo (and Aura HD and other readers with LED lighs) most likely use PWM to adjust the brightness and that can cause visible flickering for some people if brightness is set too low.

See, eg: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205938
rihkama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Nil Einne
Connoisseur
Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Nil Einne can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I'm still surprised it's so common that some people can see flickering particularly on relatively high end product. While I understand they're a minority, is it really that hard to get you PWM frequency right so hardly anyone sees flickering?
Nil Einne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
graycyn
Wizard

I've seen the flicker twice, both times at 4%, the last time the battery was also getting low.

I'm still debating on a return, but if flicker tends to happen only at that low setting, I'm not sure it is worth the hassle. I read at 5 and 6% the last couple nights, no problem with flicker.

I'll keep my eye on it, but the screen is perfect, no bright spots like some have found, so I'm not going to rush a return.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #13
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Flickering only occurs when you run the LEDs on settings below their limits. So it may happen when the battery is very low and they don't get enough juice.
But it shouldn't happen with normal settings you can reach with the inteface, so imo you have a slightly defective unit.
The reports about flickering glo's were for the majority (if not all) reported on machine that were forced below normal settings with a plugin.

If it's easy for you to return the unit I would consider it.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
graycyn
Wizard

Well, a return is probable. Last night I was reading in a partly lit room, with the light at 18% and I was getting a flicker every time I turned the page. And then sometimes a random flicker while reading. This had not happened before, so it seems the problem *is* getting worse. And the battery was around 70%

Further, the two-page turn problem was happening about every 3 pages, which made it REALLY annoying! Oddly, that didn't happen this morning with the light off. I haven't heard anyone else talking about the two-page turn thing, so maybe that is only a defect in *my* Aura.

It's a pity, because the screen is nice, no pinholes in the glow light or anything. Hope the next will be as good.

Last edited by graycyn; 05-03-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added battery % info
Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #15
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
I got my Aura on Thursday, and after two night reading tests I an confirm that there is no flicker at all even at 1% light level.

You have a defective unit and should return it, the light is supposed to be "perfect" and not annoying.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote