Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Harold Francsiss
Harold Francsiss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kinlde ERROR opening books!!!!

Hi there!

I have a very…very annoying problem. Please help me, I can’t take any longer. I start at the beginning. I create my own epub files. It looks like this:
  1. I use InDesign CS4. Inserting the content, making my own styles (paragraph, character) etc. End when it looks like a simple book, then I export whit Export with Digital Editions. Don’t use numbered styles, but when I do I convert to text.
  2. Then the epub that I just created, opening in Sigil. Little tweaking there (page break, border, toc, font size, etc). Adding metadata, cover page.
  3. Testing in EPUB Validation.
  4. At last I convert this with KindleGen, or insert in KindlePreview, and create mobi file.
  5. Plugging in the Kindle Touch with usb and send it. And it works like charm

I always have do like that.

Now the problem:

A few days ago, I finished another book like this. And when I tried to open in my Touch, it waited a few second, and then popped up a message saying:
An error occurred. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from Archived items.

From then I have tried everything. Lastly I formatted and reinstalled the whole system. And rested the kindle (twice). Installed InDesign, Word, and the most important software’s. Created a plain 20 Letter size pages and it started all over again.

And here comes the best part. The books that I have created earlier before this bug, it all works. Even when I open the InDesign file, export it and convert it, those are working fine. All working except the new oens. It doesn't make any sense. Is there a DRM in the InDesign? Or something similar? I need your help. I'll be very thankful for all the reply's!
Harold Francsiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Wow, you do this for all your books?! That's a lot of work!
Have you checked your archives to see if the book is there? Try downloading it from your archives.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Mobi forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Francsiss View Post
[*]Testing in EPUB Validation.
Do you validate the epub only in Sigil or also with ePubCheck? (The Sigil validator occasionally misses some issues.)
Also, does Kindle Previewer display any warnings, when you compile a book? (Click the Compilation Details link after the compilation is done.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Froncsiss View Post
Is there a DRM in the InDesign?
No, but AFAIK, InDesign obfuscates embedded fonts, which might cause problems. If you use embedded fonts, try replacing them with non-obfuscated fonts in Sigil.

The only other thing that has changed is that the KindleGen version used by Kindle Previewer has been updated to KindleGen 2.7. While this is unlikely to cause any problems, you could try to download the previous version and manually compile your ePub at the command line.

Also make sure that your Kindle Touch has the latest firmware installed.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Harold Francsiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Do you validate the epub only in Sigil or also with ePubCheck? (The Sigil validator occasionally misses some issues.)
Also, does Kindle Previewer display any warnings, when you compile a book? (Click the Compilation Details link after the compilation is done.)

No, but AFAIK, InDesign obfuscates embedded fonts, which might cause problems. If you use embedded fonts, try replacing them with non-obfuscated fonts in Sigil.

The only other thing that has changed is that the KindleGen version used by Kindle Previewer has been updated to KindleGen 2.7. While this is unlikely to cause any problems, you could try to download the previous version and manually compile your ePub at the command line.

Also make sure that your Kindle Touch has the latest firmware installed.
Thank you for the reply but I found the solution. It was kinda my fault.
I wasn't specified TOC because I didn’t make any. For this book I don’t wanted it. It was a small doc. A guide doc. And this was the problem. The no TOC was the error. All the books that I created earlier, it all had links or TOC’s.
All the epub checks dint warn me about this.

Last edited by Harold Francsiss; 11-17-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Harold Francsiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Wow, you do this for all your books?! That's a lot of work!
Have you checked your archives to see if the book is there? Try downloading it from your archives.
Thank you for the reply but I found the solution. The NO TOC was the ERROR.

Last edited by Harold Francsiss; 11-17-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Tags
indesign cs4, kindle, mobi, sigil