Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Was given a Simple Touch with Glowlight

Don't know that the nook is worth much to someone that is primarily in Amazon's echo system. Of you also have a nook what do you use it for?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Don't know that the nook is worth much to someone that is primarily in Amazon's echo system. Of you also have a nook what do you use it for?
Reading.

Actually, I didn't care much for the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, so I sold that one. I still use my Nook Simple Touch WITHOUT Glowlight on a regular basis. You can get ePubs for it everywhere.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do not know how much value it will have to someone who is primarily in Amazon's echo system.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
If you use Overdrive for library books, some of them aren't available for Kindle - only as ePub or maybe PDF. Some Kindle folk also have some type of ePub reader for just that purpose. I found the Simple Touch to be lovely for reading, and aggravating for most anything else (compared to Kindle, or Sony for that matter).

But yeah, value is in the eye of the user, and if you've been in Amazon's ecosystem for a good long while, it might not be something you'd use a lot.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If it's not of any use to you, then I would suggest that you either sell it, donate it or give it away. Putting it in a drawer will just kill the battery.

I remove the copy protection from all my ebooks and can then use them on whatever device I want. I use my Nook for general reading, my Kindle keyboard for series, my Kindle 6 inch for magazines. The Kindle HDX is mostly for whispersync titles since I can use Bluetooth speakers. I'm a gadget freak. Most folks I know have just one ereader.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-28-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I do not know how much value it will have to someone who is primarily in Amazon's echo system.
I've moved some of my Kindle books to my Nook. Specifically did this to consolidate a specific category.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard

I have been looking for ideas and meemo may have the best idea yet. I might just use it for library books, I believe that over drive offers books in epub format. Doesn't amazon allow books to be downloaded? I could use Calibre to translate to epub. Folks I am looking for ideas.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
If you want to use it for reading what you've already purchased, just strip the DRM using Alf's Tools in Calibre, and convert to MOBI. You can download all your Kindle purchases through the desktop app.

It's not a terrible reader... though the forced hyphenation drove me nuts, as I always convert my books to ragged right, and words were still hyphenated. I rooted, and used CoolReader. It's not bad, but it's not as nice as my shiny new PW2, which has lovely software, with footnotes that pop up, a decent dictionary and Wikipedia combo, and the ability to sync across my devices.

You won't get anything for it selling it, so you might want to consider donating it to a friend or family member. Rooted it's not a bad device at all, and the lighting isn't too shabby, and is much preferable to those bendy LED lights that were once in vogue.

Last edited by Arrghus; 09-30-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
echo system?

Hello hello hello hello
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
echo system?

Hello hello hello hello
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:58 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have one, I just loaded a few hundred fan fiction stories on it and leave them there. That way they don't affect my Kindle and are readily available to read.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
I have been looking for ideas and meemo may have the best idea yet. I might just use it for library books, I believe that over drive offers books in epub format. Doesn't amazon allow books to be downloaded? I could use Calibre to translate to epub. Folks I am looking for ideas.
If you have a Paperwhite there's no reason to convert Amazon books to ePub - just use your Paperwhite for those, and the Nook for ePubs from the library. If Overdrive has a Kindle version of a book it's easier to use that one because it can be sent via wifi. Use the Nook for the ePub-only books.

Or pass it on to someone who isn't already a Kindle user.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote