Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
psx10k
psx10k began at the beginning.

Device: none
Chinese eBook Encoding On Kindle

Hi,

I recently bought a Kindle, and have loaded some chinese mobi ebooks on it for my parents. The content shows as simplified chinese.

If possible, we would like to read the ebooks in traditional chinese instead.

Does anyone know how we could do this? I know that the encoding comes into play, but I'm not sure at what stage?

Would the original mobi file need to be reconverted to a new mobi file with a different encoding scheme? If so, can Calibre or another tool do this conversion?

Or, is encoding controlled at the Kindle level (i.e. the mobi file can be interpreted as either simplified or traditional). If this is the case, does anyone know how to configure the Kindle to show content in traditional chinese?

Thanks for any help on this subject!
psx10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle supports traditional Chinese, but the book would have to be changed from simplified to traditional. Not knowing Chinese, I have no idea if this is more like a translation required, or just character encoding.

Yes, the file has to be changed to traditional encoding to be able to use traditional characters.

I don't know of a tool that translates Chinese characters, but it is possible that one exists.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
hch568
Enthusiast
hch568 began at the beginning.

Device: IPad2, EZRead Touch, Garmin-Asus M10
Traditional Chinese are in big5 coding, and simplified Chinese are usually in GB or Hz coding. I'm not sure whether Kindle can read unicode, but even in unicode they are in different coding pages/system, I believe.

You need to convert the file from gb coding to big5 code. It can be done easily if it is in simple txt (I'm using convertz to do that), and there're other free converting tools a google search away. I'm not sure how to do it for a complicate mobi file, though. Convertz can convert traditional Chinese into simplified (gb->big5, unicode->big5, etc, and vice versa) in ascii format. Maybe you can use calibre to convert it into txt, use convertz to convert txt from gb to big5, then use calibre to convert a txt into mobi. Haven't done it before, so can't say whether it works or not.

Last edited by hch568; 01-07-2012 at 08:14 PM.
hch568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by psx10k View Post
I recently bought a Kindle, and have loaded some chinese mobi ebooks on it for my parents. The content shows as simplified chinese.
AFAIK, the Kindle has no options for changing the display from simplified to traditional Chinese characters. Therefore the source text was most likely encoded to use simplified characters.

If you have a Kindle 3, you might want to check out the alternative Kindle OS 多看 2012 (Chinese site), which is developed by Chinese developers and features several IMEs, an English-Chinese StarDict dictionary and other features of interest to Chinese speakers. They also have a forum and I'm sure that some of their members must have encountered the same problem and already came up with an easy solution. (There's also an English MR thread with more information).

Quote:
Originally Posted by psx10k View Post
If so, can Calibre or another tool do this conversion?
It's unlikely, but another Chinese user might have created a conversion plugin.

I usually get more consistent results with non-Latin characters by first creating an ePub with Sigil and then converting it with either Kindlegen or Calibre.

Please find attached a simple test ePub that I created with Sigil and then converted with both Kindlegen and Calibre.
Attached Files
File Type: epub tc_test.epub (2.1 KB, 288 views)
File Type: mobi tc_test_calibre.mobi (56.5 KB, 384 views)
File Type: mobi tc_test_kindlegen.mobi (5.7 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-08-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
psx10k
psx10k began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the replies! I'll look into some of the options when I get a bit of time.
psx10k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
There's also Duokan, which will happily cover all of this.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why did you resurrect a year and a half old thread to say that?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese, kindle