Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Screen protector for Kobo?

Hi everyone,
I have a Kobo and would like to get a screen protector for it. As far as I know there hasn't been one specifically created for the device; but I have found that invisishield has made one for the Kindle 2.

Since they both have 6" screens, do you think that the Kindle protector would work on my Kobo?

Thanks!
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
I have ordered a Kindle 2 screen protector for my Kobo, but I have not received it yet. I measured the screen sizes of the Kindle 2 and Kobo from pictures off the web, and I checked the Kobo measurements against my actual Kobo. It looks to me like the Kindle 2 screen is about 2 mm shorter and narrower than the Kobo, so the Kindle screen protector will leave a 1 mm unprotected area around the edge of the screen.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Theoretically they all should be the same as there's only one e-ink panel manufacturer atm. The bezel on each of the devices however may be of different lengths. So if you have access to multiple ebook readers (sony, kindle, etc), you should probably measure them and find the best fit.

I've also emailed both wrapsol and invisibleshield about this, but they have not bothered to replied, so it seems unlikely we will get a proper fitted one.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
Theoretically they all should be the same as there's only one e-ink panel manufacturer atm. The bezel on each of the devices however may be of different lengths. So if you have access to multiple ebook readers (sony, kindle, etc), you should probably measure them and find the best fit.

I've also emailed both wrapsol and invisibleshield about this, but they have not bothered to replied, so it seems unlikely we will get a proper fitted one.
Perhaps is many of us email to ask this question?

What is the email address?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

http://www.wrapsol.com/en_US/Home+Pa...l+request.aspx

https://www.zagg.com/hotgadgets/index.php

Have fun.
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Submitted for the invisibleShield since my brother has a voucher for it.
Apparently if you're the first one committed to sending them the device, you get a free invisibleShield.

I think that getting all of us to submit the Kobo request is a good one.

Edit: Oooh, if you're in Australia you can get them to make you a custom invisiShield. That's a lot easier for me (I've worked out costs for getting that Kindle 2 cover from America that KjellM spoke about; it's actually cheaper to get the custom one for those living in Aussieland). The 30% off voucher is only valid on the ZAGG.com website, and even with that discount it's AU$4 cheaper to get it here. In addition, I don't have to worry about the Kindle 2 cover being too small, and the shipping here will be faster.

It's weird that the ZAGG.com site doesn't make custom screen protectors - for once we're ahead of America! Since the invisibleShield is actually made in America, this is rather weird!

Anyway, here's the custom site for the Aussies out there: http://www.invisibleshield.com.au/custom-order

I'd be very interested in seeing how the Kindle 2 protector fits the Kobo.

Yet another edit: My measurement of the Kobo screen is 910mm x 1220mm. Does this agree with everyone elses?

Last edited by Katdragon; 06-09-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: More information.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Uhmmm, would you believe 91 mm by 122 mm ?

That's what mine measures...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Uhmmm, would you believe 91 mm by 122 mm ?

That's what mine measures...
Ah yes, sorry. I was referring to the Kobo that I was dreaming about last night. I think my imaginary one is for Large Print books :P

Mine is 91mm by 122mm.

At least I didn't try and measure it in inches!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
Bismar
Connoisseur

Hey wow, thats indeed great news for us Aussies.

How much is it in total though? I find it hard to believe its $8 + $5 charge, as an invisible shield for my omnia phone which would have 3x less surface area was like $20.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:13 AM   #10
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
Hey wow, thats indeed great news for us Aussies.

How much is it in total though? I find it hard to believe its $8 + $5 charge, as an invisible shield for my omnia phone which would have 3x less surface area was like $20.
I'm not sure if they go on surface area, or just a standard charge for the skin.

I'd suggest calling them at 07 3286 1204. The company is called DeepBlue so just ask to be put through to the invisibleShield people. Apparently there weren't any there when I rang today, so they suggested I send an email - which I haven't done yet.

I'd love to hear what they tell you
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #11
Bismar
Connoisseur

Hmm, just remembered shipping is $10 as well. Don't suppose your in Melbourne Katdragon?

I'll try and give them a call tomorrow, and ask for price and turn around time.

Also, i've measured 90.25 x 122.25 mm + ~0.02mm on mine using a ruler with 0.25mm increments. So if we leave a 0.02mm clearance, that makes it 90.25 x 122.25 mm.

Last edited by Bismar; 06-10-2010 at 04:39 AM. Reason: More info regarding dimensions
Old 06-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Quote:
Also, i've measured 90.25 x 122.25 mm + ~0.02mm on mine using a ruler with 0.25mm increments. So if we leave a 0.02mm clearance, that makes it 90.25 x 122.25 mm.
I love a person who knows their numbers precisely

Unfortunately (for you), I live in Adelaide.

Let me know what they say!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #13
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
How nice that something actually works for us here in Oz land! Sure we can't buy many of the books we want but we can get our screen protected properly!

Having said that I am very interested in the protector as well - let us know
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
Katdragon
Connoisseur

I rang DeepBlue today but no-one from invisibleShield was there (again). I've sent them an email through the contact page and will let you know what they say.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Finally got hold of someone from DeepBlue. Apparently the website hasn't been working when sending through emails (they've had a few complaints about this). He also said that the pricing on the website is wrong (that $7.95 charge).

Anyway, he said that he'd sold a custom Kobo shield the other day (his dimensions were 90.5mm x 122.5mm but I'm sure we can get more specific) for $24.95. This doesn't include postage and processing.

So if we use the standard post option, we have
$24.95 for the shield (somewhat more than the kindle)
$4.95 for the processing
and $9.95 for the postage
Which gives us a total of: $39.85

The guy suggested that I email his manager about the order so I'm going to do that now.
I'll let you know what happens.