Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
DeusExMe
Kingdom Agent
DeusExMe began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Unhappy Locations? Whatever happened to page numbers?

Please forigve me if this topic has been broached a thousand times before since the release of the Kindle.

I do not understand the Locations system. To what do the numbers correspond? Is there any way/hack/anything to translate these locations into conventional page numbers.

The Kindle seems like a fine device. However, in the instance of page numbers it would seem that Sony has the upper hand. At least when I have a more conventional system (i.e. 17 of 405 -or whatever) I get some idea of how far I am in the book in question. The location system is gibberish to me at this time.
DeusExMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We've had this discussion for the Gen3. It's been decided that page number do not work in Mobipocket due to bugs in the software. It's because of the way they do 64k blocks. It causes other bugs as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMe View Post
Please forigve me if this topic has been broached a thousand times before since the release of the Kindle.

I do not understand the Locations system. To what do the numbers correspond? Is there any way/hack/anything to translate these locations into conventional page numbers.

The Kindle seems like a fine device. However, in the instance of page numbers it would seem that Sony has the upper hand. At least when I have a more conventional system (i.e. 17 of 405 -or whatever) I get some idea of how far I am in the book in question. The location system is gibberish to me at this time.
That, and page numbers don't make much sense in a system where every change of font sizes is going to change the number of potential pages.

I've only had my Kindle a little over a week, but I have already gotten very used to the numbering system. And, with the ease of bookmarking, searching and annotating, I have found that most of the time it simply doesn't matter to me what "page" I am on. I can always find what I want or where I was in the book.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I do like the numbering on the Sony, I'm betting Kindle will have page numbers one day
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMe View Post

The numbers are multiples of 128 Bytes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As far as Mobipocket eBooks go, the system used for page numbering is seriously broken. It doesn't work. The only way to get page numbers is for Mobipocket to rewrite the program from scratch. It's an inherent flaw in the way they do blocks to keep the speed. Andthey only way that can be fixed is a total overhall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As far as Mobipocket eBooks go, the system used for page numbering is seriously broken. It doesn't work. The only way to get page numbers is for Mobipocket to rewrite the program from scratch. It's an inherent flaw in the way they do blocks to keep the speed.
That is not true. The block thing has nothing to do with it.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm odd I suppose. I don't care about page numbers, or the lack of them. As long as I can find my place in a book, and have a general estimate of how much more I've got to read then I'm fine. The Kindle handles both of those tasks just fine, that's good enough for me.

btw: I never bother looking at the location numbers either. I just glance at the black line at the bottom once in a while to see where I am.

Last edited by carld; 07-04-2008 at 07:18 AM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I prefer the location numbers because they are consistent. Page numbers that change depending on font would annoy me. I think a better system yet would be a Chapter + Paragraph Number system, similar to the Bible. It would allow people with various editions of books to agree on a location within a text.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
joenojunk
joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.joenojunk got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle
This is for a kindle fire....
The issue we are having is that we have a Hard Copy book 679 pages and the Kindle e-book
Has no pages just locations . i.e When we are at pg 450, in the hard copy, our kindle users have a difficult time go To that page .
I created a table that corresponds to Pg to location i.e pg 450 =loc 4479
This is ok but still a little inconvenient.

My app Does open the book and Kindle reader but Im still struggling to
Find the commands that after the book opens to go to a particular location.

Once I can find that command.
I can write a script i.e if pg 450 then go Loc 4479

This is part of my Java script
Intent intent = new Intent();
intent.setAction(android.content.Intent.ACTION_VIE W);
File file = new File("/sdcard/Books/test.prc");
intent.setDataAndType(Uri.fromFile(file), "application/x-mobipocket-ebook");
startActivity(intent);

Ay Ideas

Joenojnk
joenojunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Read about APNX in our wiki.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I like the idea. I myself ignore the last digit on the locations, it becomes a more intuitive number to deal with.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenojunk View Post
This is for a kindle fire....
The issue we are having is that we have a Hard Copy book 679 pages and the Kindle e-book
Has no pages just locations . i.e When we are at pg 450, in the hard copy, our kindle users have a difficult time go To that page .
I created a table that corresponds to Pg to location i.e pg 450 =loc 4479
This is ok but still a little inconvenient.

My app Does open the book and Kindle reader but Im still struggling to
Find the commands that after the book opens to go to a particular location.

Once I can find that command.
I can write a script i.e if pg 450 then go Loc 4479

This is part of my Java script
Intent intent = new Intent();
intent.setAction(android.content.Intent.ACTION_VIE W);
File file = new File("/sdcard/Books/test.prc");
intent.setDataAndType(Uri.fromFile(file), "application/x-mobipocket-ebook");
startActivity(intent);

Ay Ideas

Joenojnk
If they are older kindles look at firmware upgrade.

If it is an older book maybe convert with calibre with page number option.

Helen

Sorry did not notice kindle fire

Last edited by speakingtohe; 07-17-2013 at 10:49 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote