Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #76
Kay_2
Kay_2 began at the beginning.

Device: Win 8.1 / 7Pro, Android
Hey there!
I wanted to say "Thank you" for creating this plug-in for Calibre. It's really helped me a lot.

One thing I'm not sure about if you were aware of: If you come across the add-on in the "add-plugins" section of Calibre (as I did), the plug-in does not include the .csv and .ods files.
I was reading through the documentation and it made me kind of crazy to read "comes with a functioning spreadsheet" but there was none to be found. I'm not sure if this is something of my doing (some kind of security issue with Win8 calibre/my anti-virus etc that deletes all .csv sheets that aren't directly placed within the plug-in or w/e) or why that happened. After I searched the net for it and came across this post.
I downloaded the entire pack here again and found the spreadsheets.Where are they supposed to go to if you get the plug-in via Calibre itself? Because if you install it through calibre directly, there are neither found in the library, nor in the calibre folder nor with downloads or documents or anywhere else for that matter. I've had my PC search for it and it gave me the no-no on advanced search. But within the package I downloaded here I saw them directly and then took them to to my library manually.

Also I was kind of wondering if there's a chance to put the sheets into the library folder instead of leaving it in the general documents folder. Once I put it into a folder the plug-in can't detect it apparently even if it's standing right next to the metadata of calibre data-file.I'm a bit messy with my documents folder (one of the reasons I'm using calibre for at least a lot of stuff... <_< ) so I'm afraid to accidentally delete it, if it's not nicely put into the calibre folder.

A minor related thing that I came across once again when editing the authors list for the plug-in:
I was wondering if there's a plug-in or w/e that could help me extract lists (for example of authors) in spreadsheet form. I've yet to come across one and I think it'd be totally handy for mass-editing meta data in excel/libre office. While I've caught up with most of the excel formulas and such to help me mass-edit (for example crap that comes when you import a lot of data and have lots off "Mircosoft Word-authornametitle.pdf(insertwebsitehere.com)" or "34682710123-author-title". On a spreadsheet I can (more) easily single those things out automatically and let the program delete everything that's for example 8-10 Numbers in a row in one column. Or if an author name is hidden somewhere in the title I can easily make that into a "what-if-then" argument in Excel. But I'm pretty much helpless when it comes to calibre/python/regular expressions. So being able to import/export lists like that would be amazing. Is it possible to access the data shown when you go for "manage (author/tags/series/...)" in a spreadsheet way? You cannot mark more than one point on the list in calibre. I think this would be really easy and helpful for people like me who are not that good with regular expressions etc. And it'd make the whole tag and author list more easy. Entering every Author name by hand can be tiresome if you have over 20k books in your library and use it for both private literature as well as university books and cooking guides.
If there already is such a thing and my question seems stupid, I apologize and would ask you to kindly point me the right way anyways.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:57 PM   #77
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Derive Genres

@Kay__2:

Quote:
One thing I'm not sure about if you were aware of: If you come across the add-on in the "add-plugins" section of Calibre (as I did), the plug-in does not include the .csv and .ods files.
Naturally. If someone is not clever enough to find this forum, then they are not capable of using DG without hand-holding, which I do not do for any of my 4 plug-ins/add-ons.

Quote:
Also I was kind of wondering if there's a chance to put the sheets into the library folder instead of leaving it in the general documents folder. Once I put it into a folder the plug-in can't detect it apparently even if it's standing right next to the metadata of calibre data-file.
Absolutely not. Nothing goes in the Calibre library folder except Calibre library files. Also, Page 16 of the User Guide explains why they go where they go. Nothing was done randomly. It is your decision to put Calibre in your Documents folder. I have Calibre on 4 Windows PCs, and none of them are in My Documents, or even on Drive C:.

Quote:
I was wondering if there's a plug-in or w/e that could help me extract lists (for example of authors) in spreadsheet form. I've yet to come across one and I think it'd be totally handy for mass-editing meta data in excel/libre office.
Standard Calibre functionality has a special Calibre utility that can do that. It will create a .txt file that you can import into Calc or Google Docs to create a .csv file that is UTF8 compliant. An example .bat file is shown below. Refer to Calibre documentation at: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/...calibredb-list

Code:
c:
cd "C:\Program Files\Calibre2\"
REM calibredb.exe --help > "C:\Users\User\Desktop\mylist_help_entire.txt"
REM calibredb.exe list --help > "C:\Users\User\Desktop\mylist_help.txt"
REM calibredb.exe list --fields=all --limit=10 --with-library="s:\Users\Public\Public eBooks\CalibreMain" > "C:\Users\User\Desktop\mylist_1.txt"
REM calibredb.exe list -f tags --search=tags:true --sort-by=tags --ascending --line-width=80 --limit=100 --with-library="S:\Users\Public\Public eBooks\CalibreMain" > "C:\Users\User\Desktop\mylist_tags.txt"
REM calibredb.exe list --fields=tags,*genre --limit=10 --line-width=99  --with-library="S:\Users\Public\Public eBooks\CalibreMain" > "C:\Users\User\Desktop\mylist_tags.txt"
REM calibredb.exe list --fields=tags --line-width=240 --limit=100 --with-library="S:\Users\Public\Public eBooks\CalibreMain" > "C:\Users\User\Desktop\mylist_tags.txt"
pause
Quote:
I think it'd be totally handy for mass-editing meta data in excel/libre office.
Page 17 of the DG User Guide states that Excel is not UTF8 compliant and cannot be used. Libre is a fork of OpenOffice, so its Calc equivalent is likely highly UTF8 compliant as mentioned on Page 17 of the User Guide. All of the sample .csv files were created in OpenOffice Calc.

Quote:
Entering every Author name by hand can be tiresome if you have over 20k books in your library and use it for both private literature as well as university books and cooking guides.
See above re: calibredb.exe. Also, DG comes with a .csv file of 10,000 authors rules that are included in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1406980979 on the Original Post. I did not key those in by hand, by the way.

If you use the QuarantineAndScrub version of DG that uses tables, and not .csv files, there is a .sql file of the 10,000 author rules for importing directly into the Q&S _dg_genre_author_rules table. The instructions for that are in the Q&S DG User Guide (separate from the original DG User Guide, since Q&S DG is a sub-function of Q&S.).

Best of luck.

DaltonST
Advert
Old 02-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #78
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't entirely agree with providing separate downloads here myself -- it subtly defeats the purpose of computers altogether... namely, automating the busywork.
Other plugin authors have successfully embedded various resources for extraction within the plugin itself, which allows the Plugin Updater to do its job and save you the tedium of following a dozen threads and manually downloading new plugins to install from the file...
Yes, I *could* do all those manual downloads. That doesn't mean I want to do so for the sole purpose of fulfilling the developer's inscrutable need to pass out makeshift IQ tests.

I agree the job of exporting calibre library info can be nicely handled by calibre itself. But note that you do not need to change directories into the installation folder (which breaks nicely on 64-bit OS &32-bit calibre, different folders ) since calibre adds itself to the %PATH%.
Also note the --for-machine flag, which outputs the list in JSON.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-22-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #79
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't entirely agree with providing separate downloads here myself -- it subtly defeats the purpose of computers altogether... namely, automating the busywork.
Other plugin authors have successfully embedded various resources for extraction within the plugin itself, which allows the Plugin Updater to do its job and save you the tedium of following a dozen threads and manually downloading new plugins to install from the file...
Yes, I *could* do all those manual downloads. That doesn't mean I want to do so for the sole purpose of fulfilling the developer's inscrutable need to pass out makeshift IQ tests.

I agree the job of exporting calibre library info can be nicely handled by calibre itself. But note that you do not need to change directories into the installation folder (which breaks nicely on 64-bit OS &32-bit calibre, different folders ) since calibre adds itself to the %PATH%.
Also note the --for-machine flag, which outputs the list in JSON.

Your comments do not apply to DG, are irrelevant, and add no value. Worse, they confuse people who don't know anything about DG either.

A troll is someone who writes utter nonsense about something they know nothing about, just because they can.

DaltonST
Old 02-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #80
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh well, if you think they are irrelevant, who am I to disagree? Clearly your plugin is a special snowflake.
Just curious -- is your plugin special because it is too cool to use petty *workarounds* like basic python functions to perform automated file copy maneuvers, or is it because you truly fear the Huns will knock on the gates of of your plugin without advanced tests to filter out the Unworthy?

I admire your ability to stylishly shrug off criticism.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-22-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Advert
Old 04-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #81
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
Your comments do not apply to DG, are irrelevant, and add no value. Worse, they confuse people who don't know anything about DG either.

A troll is someone who writes utter nonsense about something they know nothing about, just because they can.

DaltonST
Criticising the posts of others, just because you can, isn't relevant to DG and certainly adds no value to the forum which is why it's against the rules of the forum.

You might want to at least glance at the Posting Guidelines.
Pay particular attention to the very first guideline. Those rules apply to addon authors the same as they do everyone else. This forum, and even this thread are not a shrine to you, your addons or your ego.

If you have questions as to the rules of the forum, post in the Feedback Forum and I'm sure a moderator will happily explain any that are too confusing for you.

This is a community driven discussion forum. Discussion encompasses questions, suggestions and criticism. You're free to ignore people who ask questions or make comments if you don't want to provide support for your addons. You however are not free to insult, flame or troll those who post anyway. If you can't be bothered to answer, it's possible someone else will be gracious enough to do.

If you just want textual fellation from people, you're in the wrong place. The disruption to the community you're causing with your insults and derision to inflate your fragile, over inflated ego far outpace any benefit hosting your your addons here might have.

As for question about exporting Kay_2 had...

There is a way to export lists in a spreadsheet friendly form from Calibre. It can be simple or difficult, depending on what you're trying to extract.

If you wanted to extract a list of Authors, which is a relatively simple task, you'd use something like [url=http://sqlitebrowser.org/]SQLite Browser[/quote] to do it (my instructions will apply to that program but should be similar in others. Some, such as SQliteAdmin, will even export directly to Excel).

First, make a copy of your metadata.db file from your Calibre library. (Seriously, use a copy!)
Next, open the copy of metadata.db that you made in SQLite Browser.
Then choose File -> Export -> Table(s) as CSV File.
In the dialog box that brings up, simply click to highlight the "authors" table and click Ok. Then choose a filename and place to save it.
From there, you can use any program that will import CSV files and easily manipulate it to make the beginnings of a CSV file that can then be used in DG or for any other purposes you might find.
Many other things can be exported from the Calibre DB in a similar fashion.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:13 PM   #82
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

1.) Stop the bickering now!

2) Do not call someone a troll or imply that someone is a troll.

3) Read our Posting Guidelines.

4) Anyone else violating our Posting Guidelines will be forced to take a temporary break from Mobileread.

5) Use the Report Button, if necessary.

6) Stay on topic with the Subject Heading of this thread.

7) Additional action (where deemed necessary): Posts will be deleted.

8) TONE: This relates to language use and registers. In the responses I have read, there are a lot 'snarky' comments. Think about TONE when you respond to someone. Using language in a 'kind way' is beneficial to everyone involved in this discussion.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-25-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:49 AM   #83
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

@DedTV -- I urge you to look at how others have responded in similar situations. It is entirely possible to question someone else's decisions/behavior without being intolerably rude in the process.

DaltonST has been in marked disagreement with a number of people here, true enough. That has been pointed out in a reasoned, polite manner, and anyone who does not wish to deal with an abrasive plugin maintainer is now forewarned.

As the good Dr. pointed out, the posting guidelines apply to everyone equally. You cannot simply violate them wilfully using the excuse of lecturing people on the rues -- and that is aside for the fact that you are conveying the wrong message entirely.

Finally -- if @Kay_2 was still in need of help, s/he would probably have said something in the intervening months.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:24 AM   #84
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

This thread is now closed due to the disruptive behavior that DaltonST [the OP] engaged in when he 'uninstalled' his plugin and removed all accompanying text from post #1.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-26-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
.csv, custom column, genre