Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #31
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Nevertheless, it seemed an imminent FW deployment but Kobo seems to have taken a step back. Does anyone know something?
As they always do (not sure why exactly) this seems to be a staggered rollout (not everyone gets it at once).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #32
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I wondered if they had an external deadline for a particular place/country and now are waiting until after the holiday weekend in (most of) Canada for the bigger roll out. It's Family Day Monday in Ontario where the Kobo offices are located.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 04:26 AM   #33
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This release concentrates on changes to highlighting. The release notes acknowledge this. They have a picture of the new highlight/annotation menu and the following points:
  • highlight text across multiple pages
  • see quick definitions for short phrases
  • select text more quickly and easily
Jesus, now I'm a believer

Highlighting was the Kobo's worst implemented feature and I never encouraged not-tech-savvy-people to buy a Kobo for this reason. Now I can encourage people to switch from Kindle without any doubts.

PS: There's a bunch of bug fixing and I have no time to update the Bugs thread. I think I'll move the bug list to the wiki.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #34
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
With the version change, the KoboTouch driver in calibre will report the version is unsupported. This will be updated in the next calibre release. In the meantime, you can use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option in the driver configuration. This is completely safe to do.

If you are using the KoboTouchExtended driver, doing this is probably safe as well, but I have not tested it.
I see no reason why this shouldn't be safe for extended driver users as well. It pretty much piggybacks on all your hard work for getting files over to the devices
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
  • see quick definitions for short phrases
Quote:
For the "quick definitions", Kobo said: "This is available only if there is a definition entry for the two adjacent words you¹ve selected." But, I haven't managed to get it working.
I accidentally found out how this works today.

I was reading something that mentioned "buffalo soldiers" without saying what they were. So, I selected both words thinking that I would look them up using the Wikepedia or Google search. But, a definition popped up. I have tried a few other pairs of words like that and most have worked. Useful, but it of course requires that there is a definition in the dictionary.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2014, 06:59 AM   #36
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
It's quiet...too quiet...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #37
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
I'm still waiting for my Aura to spot the update is available over the air.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #38
Anagnostis
Anagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW/PW2 - Kobo Aura HD -iPad 3
Me too ..
Anagnostis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #39
willburn
willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.willburn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo glo, iPad
I am still waiting for the new firmware.

Are you sure guys about today as new firmware launch date?

willburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #40
kianryan
kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kianryan knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo
Worth keeping an eye on the firmware thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

Usually, once it has been spotted in the wild it'll be posted there.
kianryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo always do a staggered release of the firmware. They release it to a small group and then expand it if there are no problems. The release started late last week. I haven't heard of any problems, so I suspect that since Monday was a public holiday in parts of Canada, they haven't released it beyond the initial group yet.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:30 AM   #42
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kianryan View Post

Thanks. I'll do that...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #43
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Thanks. I'll do that...
He he he .... You keep that eye out now Murg.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #44
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kianryan View Post

We're giggling a bit here kianryan because this is Murg's thread. He is the one that keeps the first post updated and usually captures the files.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #45
Polynésia
Polynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPolynésia can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo glo
I hope this version will arrive before the end of the month?
Polynésia is offline   Reply With Quote