Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
ToboldH
ToboldH began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3, Kindle DX
Cybook Gen 3 - inserts page break

I am not sure if I should have posted this in the Developer's corner or not. I am a developer by trade, but have not delved into the Cybook yet.

What I do fiddle with though, are the epub files, using Sigil. I like to change the book covers, correct spelling and/or grammatical errors (yes, I know how anal I am, but they exist, especially in books scanned with OCR software).

I have experienced 3 situations so far in which my Cybook places a page break (skips to a new page), even though there is nothing in the XHTML to cause such behavior. I use a very simple CSS set for my books, standardized across every book I edit, and it is has only occurred these three times, twice in one book.

I create chapters in separate files, if they aren't already. In all 3 cases, the new page occured right at the end of the file, placing a portion of the very last sentence on a new page, all by itself, before the next chapter starts. Naturally, this makes for a strange reading experience.

The only thing that works is to remove some text from the file, shortening it. This had me thinking that it was a file size limitation, but that doesn't hold up, as these chapters are short, by no means the longest in the book, and besides that, I have had epubs in which the entire book is in one file and it doesn't do this.

I would love to find a pattern. In the cases so far, I found a redundant sentence to remove, solving the problem, but the "purist" in me (OK, my anal nature) doesn't like to remove anything from a book if I can help it.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? If I open the epub in Adobe's Digital Editions, it doesn't skip to a new page. Only on the Cybook, and only in these 3 cases. It is quite puzzling.

Thank you for your time.
ToboldH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I suspect that it's down to the widow/orphan control feature of the ADE reading software. It can sometimes make some slightly odd choices about where to break a page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
ToboldH

Thank you, Harry!

I read up on them and I have to say, after doing so, I feel quite foolish for never having heard of them before. I have been doing some HTML/web development over the years and have never come across this.

I changed the font size on my Cybook and, sure enough, the problem can be made to appear/disappear in doing so.

Now I am going to experiment with the various CSS options to see what I can get right. So far, I am only aware of the widows/orphans settings and using inline/block to keep a div together, on one page (the latter being no good in my case).

I really do appreciate your insight. It had me stumped. Cheers!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Another thing that may cause spurious pagebreaks is a very long paragraph (something like a couple of screens), you may find a pagebreak in the middle of it for no apparent reason; that's entirely a responsibility of the reading software, nothing wrong with the book.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
ToboldH

I tried setting widows and orphans to 0, but that still produces odd behaviour.

A setting of 3, for both, is working rather well. I have cycled through all the font sizes and there are no spurious breaks. The same page, with the default setting (orphans 2, widows 2), creates these breaks with some font sizes (obviously because that determines how the lines break up). The 0, 0 setting does this too, but not 3, 3. It's some kind of crazy magic, but it works.
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToboldH View Post
I tried setting widows and orphans to 0, but that still produces odd behaviour.

A setting of 3, for both, is working rather well. I have cycled through all the font sizes and there are no spurious breaks. The same page, with the default setting (orphans 2, widows 2), creates these breaks with some font sizes (obviously because that determines how the lines break up). The 0, 0 setting does this too, but not 3, 3. It's some kind of crazy magic, but it works.
Don't try to explain it, use it Software is like that
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
ToboldH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Don't try to explain it, use it Software is like that
Yes, I suppose I can accept that in this case. As long as I can read my books.

In my job though, I have to understand it, or bad things can happen. I just need to let some things go.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToboldH View Post
Yes, I suppose I can accept that in this case. As long as I can read my books.

In my job though, I have to understand it, or bad things can happen. I just need to let some things go.
I totally understand
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote