Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
darron
Enthusiast
darron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with others

Device: Kindle DX
serial console goes to sleep - gated clock

Does anyone happen to know how to keep the serial console from going to sleep after a bit of inactivity? At some point I see a message that the UART clock's been gated, and then only the Kindle side can wake it up again.

It's obviously some power management thing. Has anyone seen a setting for that someplace?

Even better would be another IO line like DTR or RTS that would wake it up.

Also, is there any GPIO-like unused pin anyplace that the system has access to?
darron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
darron
Enthusiast
darron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with othersdarron plays well with others

Here's the actual sleep msg:

uart: I def:clk gate::uart clk gated
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
darron
Enthusiast

I found it in the kernel sources, and it's controlled by a device attribute at /sys/devices/platform/mxcintuart.0/uart_clk_state. Set it to 0, and it won't gate.

I was about to write an init.d script to do that for me, but I found something in /etc/init.d/power that does that for you. You just need to create a file called DO_NOT_KILL_UART in /mnt/us.

Tags
hack, hardware, kindle dx