Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
crsheilah
Connoisseur
crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Velocity Cruz T103
Question Can I buy ebooks on Amazon for my Sony 505?

I'm going to make a buying decision soon. I live in Costa Rica and have been looking at the Kindle 2 since I'll be visiting the States in May. But now I'm torn between the Sony 505 (in cool red) and the Kindle. I won't be able to use the whispernet except when I visit the States (once a year) so think the Sony 505 would be more cost effective for me. Why pay for something I can't use. Will I be able to buy ebooks from Amazon for the Sony? I'd like to hear any drawbacks/pros/cons you might have. TIA
crsheilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
To buy Kindle books, you need:
1) to have a Kindle (or iPhone) registered to your Amazon account
2) to have U.S. billing address and credit card.
You can achieve 1 if you buy a Kindle but 2 will be trickier.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At the moment, Sony does not support the Mobipocket/AZW format used by the Kindle store, and you cannot buy Kindle e-books from Amazon without owning a Kindle reader (or an iPhone with a Kindle app). So I'm afraid you (and a lot of other people in similar situations) are out of luck getting Kindle books into your Sony.

Your best bet is to go to other e-book sites and try to find the e-books in venues other than Amazon. Many publishers will offer their books on their own websites or other e-book sites, if they've made them available to Amazon. Even Mobipocket formatted e-books can often be converted to the Sony format, or to ePub, with third-party software (like Calibre, mentioned in the forums area in this site).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #4
crsheilah
Connoisseur
crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Velocity Cruz T103
Thanks, Steve. This morning I ordered, from Amazon, the red Sony 505 along with a red leather cover and an A/C charger. My neighbor is going to the States next week so I'm having it delivered to her place and she will bring it back to me mid-April so I won't have to wait until May after all! Then I'll have some time to play with it and load books before my trip May 1. I can't wait! I'm sure to have more questions when it arrives. Meanwhile I'm going to check out all the sites where I can buy books !!! Sheilah
crsheilah is offline   Reply With Quote