Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #46
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I'm thinking seriously about it, to replace my current Android cellphone of course. But I will buy it unlocked, the European version.
The GSII is nice but I got my eye on the Galaxy Note.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #47
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Weird-you can access the camera app without entering a passcode first?

whats weird about that?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Siri - totally underwhelmed by this feature. It's something I'll never use. What I wanted was a thicker iPod touch with a larger battery, an AF camera, a GPS and compass. What we got instead was the same iPod we got last year. How lame.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #49
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
whats weird about that?
Personally I'd rather have my passcode block any access beyond dialing 911-but I'm using the enterprise passcode, so maybe it's different.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #50
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Siri - totally underwhelmed by this feature. It's something I'll never use. What I wanted was a thicker iPod touch with a larger battery, an AF camera, a GPS and compass. What we got instead was the same iPod we got last year. How lame.

Well, there is a device that has all those features. It's called an iPhone. You may have heard of it .
The iPod doesn't have any competition at it's price point. Not surprisingly , Apple saw no reason to add any features. The Samsung Galaxy Player arrives mid October. You may want to look at that, or spring for the iPhone .
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 PM   #51
KindleFan1
Banned
KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!KindleFan1 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
If you’re disappointed by the iPhone 4S, you’re nuts
http://www.splatf.com/2011/10/iphone-4s/

Quote:
Cue the whiners. Apple didn’t announce an iPhone 5 today, just an updated version of the iPhone 4, called the iPhone 4S. Apple stock is down a bit in a flat market. Many are claiming to be disappointed. But here’s the thing: You shouldn’t be.

For users, this is still the best phone that money can buy — even better today, with some new features. And for investors, Apple will sell record numbers of these devices, probably earning record profits.
KindleFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #52
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The GSII is nice but I got my eye on the Galaxy Note.

=X=
Gosh! that's stuff is tooooo big, lol ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #53
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Quote:
No kidding, lol! I do want a large screen phone, but not that large.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #54
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
holy cow, that's a big phone.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #55
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Personally I'd rather have my passcode block any access beyond dialing 911-but I'm using the enterprise passcode, so maybe it's different.
I think the premise is to speed-up the turn-on-to-shot photography mode, much as the digicams have been doing since the beginning. iPhonography is quite a popular use of the phones so I can see them giving this function importance for those after quickly-spotted-and-shot candids, for example (guilty here). I don't know how this passcode-bypass works, but it may be that you can take photos, but to subsequently view them (or the rest of your library) you still have to enter the passcode. I think that's alright in that case (for my mind).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #56
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I don't know how this passcode-bypass works, but it may be that you can take photos, but to subsequently view them (or the rest of your library) you still have to enter the passcode. I think that's alright in that case (for my mind).

Cheers,
Marc
That could be the case-it's just odd that when you are in the camera app-the lower left hand corner has your last shot-and you touch that and it goes to your photo album. It would be a little odd that you'd get kicked back to the passcode screen by touching that, but maybe that would seem less..."open"

I definitely see the advantages of quick access, and I don't really have an issue with people seeing my photo roll-its just anything that gets behind the passcode seems
like an opportunity for an exploit or two-especially as that was one of the big issues of the first iPhone (being able to get thru the passcode to access contacts, etc.)

Last edited by kjk; 10-04-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #57
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
holy cow, that's a big phone.
Yeah, I know, hahaha... I've been following it since 1st time it was shown. It's nice but too big for my taste. I actually prefer physical keyboard on cellphones giving the case I text a lot with my wife and coworkers, but I would compromise with any of those two, because their screen size. However, I think the Galaxy S II is an all around/better phone. But both are really nice!

I know a friend at work that already have the Galaxy S II, unlocked, European version. It's like having a Linux machine on your pocket, really useful, crisp, responsive.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-04-2011 at 10:37 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #58
kjk

Quote:
Yeah, I know, hahaha... I've been following it since 1st time it was shown. It's nice but too big for my taste. I actually prefer physical keyboard on cellphones giving the case I text a lot with my wife and coworkers, but I would compromise with any of those two, because their screen size. However, I think the Galaxy S II is an all around/better phone. But both are really nice!

I know a friend at work that already have the Galaxy S II, unlocked, European version. It's like having a Linux machine on your pocket, really useful, crisp, responsive.
For some reason that size looks very Star Trekkian-they need to get a Tricorder interface on that phone!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:08 PM   #59
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Hey, TM, you can upgrade to a white ipod touch. What more do you want, blood? .

Seriously, this event was all about Siri... and iCloud. But may be, there's a big "one thing more"....

Oh well, I guess not.
Apparently, they did not achieve the WOW factor.
This "cloud" crap is just that. It is crap and a way to justify not including much memory or a SD slot, or a real USB2.0 slot.
I have been storing stuff on the web for years. On the free places like Mozy, Google, MS, etc, besides on portable drives of various sorts.

My favorite storage place is in Gmail.

I have a couple hundred plus GB from my web hosting company.

I believe that Amazon and Apple and all of them just want more touchy touchy with potential customers.

"Buy from us, and we will take care of you. Just relax and get all cuddly in the nice home we have thoughtfully provided for you and hand us your card."

Well I will buy what I want and take care of myself.

Amazon is my friend, but it is not my blessed mother!

And I wouldn't trust Apple for anything except self-serving expensive sales pitches.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #60
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I knowan Iphone user who uses Siri, and she really likes it. Apparently they took Siri, pumped it up to 11, and wove it right through the operating system to produce the Assistant.
We'll have to see how helpful this Assistant is. If done right, it really could change everything... again. (sound familiar?. )
HTC has been letting you speak for texting for a few years now.

Meaning, you just talk and it converts your speech into a text message and sends it out. Great for communicating with those females who seem addicted to spending extra money for text messages instead of using free "talk" minutes in the evening. Of course the HTC just provides the interface, you still have to have a text package of some kind or pay more.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote