Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #46
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
Have you taken pictures step by step on how to open the machine?
what about using a pin to reset it, if you got stuck.
I did not take any pictures, but all I did was to us a small flat screw driver to lift up the rubber bumpers and unscrewed the screws underneath. Separated the plasctic cover from the lower cover, then unscrewed the screws in the motherboard (I did this on the e-reader side since that is where the camera is). I'm assuming that I can use the reset button to turn the machine on, but have not tried yet. If that does not work then I will need to open her up again to turn it on and somehow "fix" the broken off piece. I could try to super-glue another piece on or more likely glue something stronger in place. Hopefully I will not have to go there LOL.

Now I've got to figure out how to create a short-cut to the underlying commands to set a shortcut to reboot and shutdown the machine.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #47
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
the pin will reboot you machine I think. not start it. what about another connector from radio shack or something?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #48
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
the pin will reboot you machine I think. not start it. what about another connector from radio shack or something?
I'll have to look for something, because now I've totally messed it up I broke the plastic piece completely. It will randomly shutdown now due to the loose part toggling the off button somehow. Never fails, should have left well enough alone LOL. Anyhow, I'm setting up the other PE I purchased and will be much more careful with that one
Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #49
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
LOL I finally opened up the PE and sure enough the camera was disconnected from the motherboard. I pushed it back into its slot, but the camera is still shot . I also mistakenly broke the power nib off (Its the small piece of plastic that the power switch grabs onto to turn the PE on and off. Why'd they make it out of plastic instead of metal is beyond me) Now I cannot turn off the PE. Only put it in hibernate. Oh well, I'm glad that I got another PE off the last Woot for only $80.
Really common with these types of components - my Nintendo DS wouldn't turn off and would turn itself on because the little plastic switch got stuck and broken half off. Same type of slide component. They suck
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #50
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Now I've got to figure out how to create a short-cut to the underlying commands to set a shortcut to reboot and shutdown the machine.
There's an app called Reboot++ on the market that just makes a desktop shortcut to reboot the device.
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #51
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

what about changing with a push in button?
Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #52
tekknogenius
Groupie

Quote:
what about changing with a push in button?
The button internally is a slide button (plastic toggle of sorts). I not only broke the plastic nib that would normally be held by the power switch, but also the rest of the plastic in my efforts to jerry rig a nib. I hope I can salvage it because the PE randomly reboots now because the switch mechanism is somehow being tripped.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #53
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
The button internally is a slide button (plastic toggle of sorts). I not only broke the plastic nib that would normally be held by the power switch, but also the rest of the plastic in my efforts to jerry rig a nib. I hope I can salvage it because the PE randomly reboots now because the switch mechanism is somehow being tripped.
What about replacing the switch itself?
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #54
tekknogenius
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
What about replacing the switch itself?
Well it's attached to the board. I'm not an electronics guy so I do not know how to solder it if I were to take it off. Should have taken some computer engineering classes along with my computer science classes way back when

I think I'm going to try something to see if I get it to work. Can't do too much more damage could I? LOL
Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #55
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Well it's attached to the board. I'm not an electronics guy so I do not know how to solder it if I were to take it off. Should have taken some computer engineering classes along with my computer science classes way back when

I think I'm going to try something to see if I get it to work. Can't do too much more damage could I? LOL
If you're not happy with doing it yourself just look for a computer repair shop that repairs notebooks, take it there and ask if they would do it for you.

Others on this forum have replaced broken power sockets themselves without problems. Usually the hardest part is the unsoldering that needs special tools. If you can get hold of some broken electronics boards practice on them first so that you know what and how to do it. As for getting a replacement switch, I assume there are the equivalents to Radio Spares (European) in the US - search for the thread on the replacement of the power socket.

edit: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146609

Last edited by ivanjt; 09-28-2011 at 07:05 AM. Reason: adding reference
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #56
JRANGER
Connoisseur
JRANGER began at the beginning.

Device: Edgejr
Any luck with the serial connections and getting a CWM recovery working?
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #57
JRANGER
Connoisseur

Can anyone explain how the recovery works? I assume that there is something built into rom or a cmos type setup then will initiate this.../system/etc/install-recovery.sh that was mentioned earlier wouldn't really be the recovery software....But if this is indeed the location or the location is accessible couldn't we just re-script the sh to point to clockwork after a manual install? Sorry again..Im new to this as Im a windows IT guy and its time I learn new stuff..and this is where Im beginning...
Old 09-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #58
JRANGER
Connoisseur

ok been looking up stuff on android basics...So its my understanding there is a recovery partition in which the recovery is kept...A partition which file managers on the android cant see...So ADB the only way to view the contents on the recovery partition?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #59
JTY
JTY began at the beginning.

Device: Entourge Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnX View Post

To anyone who's already done this: Did you use a USB->serial adapter? Will an actual standard PC serial port work or is there voltage conversion that needs to be done? I might not have a chance to work on this much until the weekend, but I want to be ready to dive into it at that point.

-John
Open PE, check the motherboard right upper corner there you can find debugging serial port connector. On development models there is a hole in the case for connecting the serial console cable directly.
I have somwhere the pinout for the connector, there is a max232 so no need for voltage converting, plain RS232 works

I have borked my PE several times and if the bootloader is solid (usually you don't touch the bootloader) you can always rescue the PE via adb, all the tools are there and some extra tools that don't exist in fully installed PE.
There is full Linux tools, no crippled busybox stuff
JTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #60
vicinc
Guru

as i have a borked unit i am more than interested on how to use the serial to recover.
anybody able to do a step by step how to on the serial recovery.