Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #151
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@travger - I'm afraid the only way I can think of doing this as a plugin would mean you would have to use the plugin exclusively when you add books. So no more drag/dropping formats onto the book details pane, library view or edit metadata dialogs, no more using the built-in toolbar button, no using copy to library etc. I think that is too limiting to be something of general interest. If it was going to be implemented it really needs imho to be in the core Calibre add code, which means you would need to raise a feature request via the bug tracker.

Maybe some signal could be implemented which could be hooked into, but again that is a core calibre change.
There is an other way.
But has a drawback.
You could do two things:
1. Tell calibre to use filename for metadata-info and add filename as title.
2. Tell calibre to use filename for metadata-info and add filename in a field you define.

Drawback of both options is, that it is not possible (as far as I know) to use this option in combination with the get metadata from metadata-file
So in case 1 you would have an unknown author
in case 2 you would have an unknown author and unknown title

BUT
If you use case 2, you could mass edit your files with a regex and than afterwards get all info you would get from file names.

But, it would be nice to have a feature to do this OR to have the option to fill unknown info from file metadata OR to have the option of mass-edit fetch metadata from file (but this could take a lot of time when mass editing a lot of files)
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #152
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@drMerry - you miss my point - you cannot "intercept" the adding process from a plugin, without some additional hooks being put into place in the Calibre code. Regardless of what approach you take to doing with this information.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #153
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I thought that Calibre has that filename anyway, so it could be easily be tucked away. Never entertained the idea that it just goes grabbing right into innards of the book (unless told otherwise) and won't bother with filenames.

@drMerry - Thank you, when I'm a bit more comfortable with custom columns, I'll try #2.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #154
PhM
PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PhM has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Clean up author and title

Some of my authors and titles are not consistently written with the proper case (author's name in full uppercase or first uppercase, some words in the titles in full uppercase)

It would be nice to have a tool to convert all, eg in "proper case" (using MS Word terminology), ie with first letter in uppercase.

Also, a tool to merge authors (eg full first name vs only initial) would be very useful
PhM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #155
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@PhM - both of these already exist

Changing the case of a title or author can be done individually via a right-click when editing ->Change Case -> Titlecase. You can also switch titles in bulk using the bulk edit metadata dialog. I don't believe there is a way of changing author names in bulk though.

As for merging authors - you can identify such authors using the Find Duplicates plugin. Then in the tag browser, rename the author so the names match for the ones you are genuinely sure are the same author.
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #156
schuster
Zealot
schuster doesn't litterschuster doesn't litter

Device: prs-650 / prs-350 /kindle 3
first I want to thank kiwidude for the great work on the quality-check-plug-in.
super plug-in what i use very often.

i have another idea for a plug-in:

situation:

3 kindles in my family
15 newspaper daily

at now i had to send all 15 to all familymembers

better is:

send only the desired newspaper to each kindle

i don`t know if this is possible via plugin

workflow (maybe):

fetch news (news 1-15)
proof what member had to receiv which newspaper (preselection in gui)
set member-account 1 active -> send newspaper (1,2,3,4,8)
set member-account 2 active -> send newspaper (5,6,7,8,14)
set member-account 3 active -> send newspaper (9,10,11,12,13,14,15)
proof if to every member the newspaper is send
delete newspaper after sucsessfully send

this would be great if anyone could make it possible
schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #157
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Something that will let me right-click and make a to-read list, hopefully in a priority order.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #158
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
Something that will let me right-click and make a to-read list, hopefully in a priority order.
While I use a custom column to designate the books I want to read next, I too would love some way to prioritize them. I currently have a custom column for authors that have books in more than one series, I was thinking something like that would do but I do not want to create another column and I cannot use the existing one due to a conflict with original use for the column.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #159
zed88
zed88 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, nook
An idea for a plugin - Search my books for Prize/Award winners.

I have no idea how easy/hard it would be, but I would love to be able to search my library for winners of various literary prizes without having to know their specific titles.

I'm often surprised to discover that a book I love has won some award - especially older books. I then usually go to the award website, check the list of winners and then go back into my library to see if I have any on that list. It's a time-consuming way to basically find recommendations for what to read next, but it got me thinking about what was possible in Calibre.
Is there already a way to do this?

Last edited by zed88; 05-26-2011 at 12:41 PM.
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #160
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@TomeKeeper - yes I have wondered the same thing a few times about a plugin for reading lists. It wouldnt be difficult to knock one up that would be fairly similar to the Book Sync one. Except you should have the ability to create multiple lists instead of multiple devices. It might even make sense to allow such a plugin to communicate to the book sync one - allowing you for instance to choose some books on your list to sync to a device.

@zed88 - sounds an interesting idea. What website do you get the award information from? I know Fantastic Fiction has a bunch of stuff like that. Or do you go to individual websites for each award?

Last edited by kiwidude; 05-27-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #161
zed88
zed88 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, nook
@kiwidude - I found a fairly comprehensive set of lists on goodreads under 'explore'>'award winners'. It's hidden about halfway down the page on the right.
Fictionwise has exactly the function I'm thinking of, but of course it only lists award winning books available on that site. (I never even knew there was an 'Agatha' award...)

Cheers

Last edited by zed88; 05-26-2011 at 05:55 PM.
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #162
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Backup Lugin Request

I just thought of an idea for a plugin, and I am really surprised neither myself or no one else asked for this request. But I would like to see a plugin that will create backups of the database and settings files, especially the plugins folder and any other folders/files that would be needed to transfer Calibre to another computer or to be restored on the original computer. It would be nice if the plugin was able to allow the user to add custom names in a user specific folder that would allow the user to keep any and all backups in.

I hope someone would be willing to take on this request because it is a critical feature that is missing, at least in my mind it is.

Nyn
Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #163
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I just thought of an idea for a plugin, and I am really surprised neither myself or no one else asked for this request. But I would like to see a plugin that will create backups of the database and settings files, especially the plugins folder and any other folders/files that would be needed to transfer Calibre to another computer or to be restored on the original computer. It would be nice if the plugin was able to allow the user to add custom names in a user specific folder that would allow the user to keep any and all backups in.

I hope someone would be willing to take on this request because it is a critical feature that is missing, at least in my mind it is.

Nyn
This is similar to a wish for a tool that I had.

I have a number of systems (with different OS in the mix) that are never the same

A Configuration settings comparison and Selectable synching tool that uses the saved configuration from one system to display (siide-by-side?) and possibly adjust the current system settings and or Library
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #164
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Theducks:

I like that, I too have systems with different configs. Another idea is to add a list perhaps of the installed plugins. For instance, I do not need the metadata download plugins on all installations. But there has to be a better way to port our settings to other computers, I always end up forgetting something.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #165
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Theducks:

I like that, I too have systems with different configs. Another idea is to add a list perhaps of the installed plugins. For instance, I do not need the metadata download plugins on all installations. But there has to be a better way to port our settings to other computers, I always end up forgetting something.
I had assumed that installed plug-ins and their menu preferences were part of the config settings.
I could see, the tool strongly suggesting that plugin requirements be met before (non-installed PI settings would be ignored otherwise) proceeding
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chatbot, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development