Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #331
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
I need a little time to understand all those commands, but I will try it! :-)
[root@kindle root]# while :; do eips ''; usleep 90000; done;

is all you need.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #332
lixoxite
lixoxite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sorry i if it seems lazy, but im really not.
Ive searched all this forum, and this post, and couldnt find if i could use KT as a second monitor.
Is it possible?
lixoxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #333
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes.

I have done it.

details are on here. somewhere
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #334
lixoxite
lixoxite began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
yes.

I have done it.

details are on here. somewhere
Ive done the webbrowser method. Is it the one your are refering to?
lixoxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #335
twobob

a link would be nice
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #336
feklee
feklee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle M2L4EK
Thanks to kindlevncviewer, I've set up my Kindle Keyboard 3G as a secondary screen to my laptop, potentially great for outdoor use! The only problem: There is no mouse cursor, not at all, not even a super laggy one. On the laptop, I am using Windows XP with TightVNC.

Any idea if it's possible to get a mouse cursor by configuring TightVNC or kindlevncviewer accordingly?

Otherwise, I guess there are applications that make a small (non-rectangular) window follow the mouse. That should do the trick, but first I am looking for a simple solution.
feklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #337
twobob

It has been mooted.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=321

should you come up with a solution let me know.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #338
feklee
feklee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle M2L4EK
I raised the issue on superuser. Neko did not prove to be a solution.
feklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #339
ppoo
Connoisseur
ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

How can I reverse colors, the screen is almost black?
ppoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #340
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoo View Post
How can I reverse colors, the screen is almost black?
Ah yeah... I had that... hmm... errr... dammit I can't remember..

Hawhill HAS posted the answer to that. somewhere. on this thread PROBABLY but not ABSOLUTELY sure... might have been the Digging around in StartX thread

IIRC it had something to do with the options and it can indeed be "fixed".

So I assume this is on the 8 bit devices. (ah yeah ppoo Device: Kindle Touch)

Sorry, the best I can do is say "Yes, it can be fixed", but I don't recall the exact details.

EDIT: Okay so I am testing this again and yup the default output is inverted again.

Err.. perhaps when my brain kickstarts something will occur

Last edited by twobob; 02-22-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #341
swrd
swrd began at the beginning.

Device: kinde DXG
funcy software,thanks for your work.
My question is how to take a screenshot of kindle as the vncviwer working.I try lanchpad shortcut "shift+shift+shift" which work well before vncviewer active, and it seems not work as the vncviewer working.
swrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #342
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur
fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3gb (3g)
DELETE
(bought K4 .. lets try)

Last edited by fonzie4msg; 03-17-2013 at 07:25 AM.
fonzie4msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #343
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Kitty1221 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: onyx boox, pocketbook, 9.7" e-screen
Question Applicable to Onyx 9,7 inch e-paper screen?

Hello Mr. hawhill Guru

I am so impressed with your technique and idea.
I would like to turn the 9,7-inch e-paper screen into the PC monitor.
I have eye problems and hard time staring at the LCD monitor.
So this is why I want to make e-paper monitor.

Though you are teaching how to for Kindle e-reader,
your technique is usable to other e-paper screen?

I am sorry if this question has been posted and solved..

I have Windows 8 OS PC and am ready to install Linux.

Thank you very much for your time.

Much appreciated.
Kitty1221
Kitty1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #344
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Let me say first that it was not my idea and just a little side project to see if I can get a VNC viewer running. I can't promise support, but I'll happily answer some questions.

Then, a fair warning: VNC is nice, and it can make a substitute for a PC monitor, but you will have to sacrifice some things. Like display speed (really an issue for mouse movements!), but there are other things. Naturally, Video output and low-contrast images are a problem, too.

Regarding your question: It depends (as always). Probably, you can get VNC viewers running on lots of different e-ink devices. Whether there are ones that are ready to use will depend on the device. I guess Android-based ones (Sony?) are a bit easier in that regard. For some readers, there might not even be hacks to run your own software. I can't really give recommendations for certain devices - all I ever tried were the KDX (which is slow) and the K3 (which is small).

I'm not aware of a "virtual monitor VNC server" for Windows 8. But then I did not search for such a thing either. Personally I used Linux because I knew there is Xvnc and that it would do the job. But be warned that the "host side", i.e. Windows or Linux, does need its share of hacking, too. No solutions there that would be designed to work out-of-the-box.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #345
twobob

From what little I know looks like a linux box (Onyx) thus it should run the program without "crashing", or should I say is capable of running the program..

You do not say the EXACT type of onyx book so I could only guess at the processor. either a 800MHz Cortex A8 CPU or a Freescale i.MX508 800MHz or a Marvell 166e 800MHz, two of which I know something about.

They are all 4 bit displays (I Think), But how you would manage the screen updates I do not know. That part of it you would have to figure out for yourself, probably a small piece of code but it would need looking at.

So yeah... The project could be rebuilt from source if required to target your processor if required but honestly I would just try to run the current release and then tag on the bit of screen update code yourself.

A fully worked example might be referenced from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=326

With an EXAMPLEsupplemental eink update implementation like this one
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=328
I say example because - miracles withstanding - that WON'T work, you need to find that piece of code for yourself....

Also there is a whole pile of things that could go wrong. Framebuffers of slightly different sizes causing garbled screen output (one type of onyx book is 1200px x 825px for example, the others are 800x600), and probably 100 other things that could be very slightly "wrong" or "different enough" to make it just not work without a few coding amenments.

All that said...

a) Find out what code you need to send to cause a full eink refresh.
b) check if the current code RUNS on your machine without needing to be rebuilt
c) Run it and see what output you get.

Honest answer is I HAVE NO IDEA if that might work.

But at least you have a few tips to try.

I would guess - if you have the "right" book - with same/supported processor - same resolution - and the update code - that it should work

Hey, it might even work on ALL of them with enough love. But honestly without the device, this is complete speculation.

HAVE FUN!!!

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc