Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
iBooks will read any DRM-free ePub file. It's the nicest ePub reader that I've used, thus far.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
Not at all. Every company makes an ipad app for their stores (Kindle, B&N, Kobo, probably others). If you have non-drm epub's laying around, you can just add them to itunes and sync with ibooks and away you go. And of course for pdf's the possibilities are endless...

That was my understanding, it was Jon's post that confused me ... (not difficult).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Forgive the stupidity of the question, but is the iPad locked into using ibooks store for its books ?
What I was trying to say is that we can do without the iBooks store. The idea is for Apple to stop selling eBooks so maybe the other eBook stores can force the Agency 5 to stop the shit and give the consumer reasonable prices with the ability to have discounts & sales.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #19
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Ah !

You mean the producer of the device ought not to be, also, a vendor of books - that I can understand, relate to and agree with ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
iPad is completely useless for me as an eReader. I didn't used it but I am pretty sure about this. After all I usually go climb mountains and camp for a week or so

The real use of long battery life of an eReader is that you can take it with you to a mountain or somewhere like a mountain. The sad thing is there is no eReader that works in sub-zero temperatures

I choosed nook for extra batteries.

Last edited by GERGE; 06-08-2010 at 02:00 PM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Actually...a friend of mine took his iPad with him on his climb up Mt. Hood three weeks ago and used it to not only read, but take notes and fire off emails to me. He put the iPad in a padded case and then put it in his backpack. No problems with durability. Battery life can be a problem if you're away from a power source for extended periods. If your car is nearby and you have the appropriate DC charger, you're golden. Especially if you turn off wi-fi and set the screen brightness a little lower than usual.

Besides all that, how do you know it's totally useless as an Ereader if you haven't even used it?

"How do you KNOW you won't like it, if you haven't even tried it?"
"It came to me in a dream!"
-George Carlin

Last edited by mtnmedic; 06-08-2010 at 02:18 PM.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #22
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
When I said mountain I didn't mean something like Hood. Think about 15000+ ft, over snow line. No matter what I do temperature is a killer. There is also no 3G up there But you can find power sources at the base camps sometimes.

But I don't think an iPad would do. I will have a mohair willow jacket and hard leather case made for my Nook. I hope that would be enough.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #23
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Oh,well, in that case, okay...I suppose. You've got to admit, above 15k feet on a mountain is an unusually demanding environment for any type of device, let alone tech gear. Albeit the Nook is a lot less complex than the iPad, I think -both being solid state devices - it will suffer the same problems as the iPad in extreme environments.

Let us know how that works out. I'm sure there are other climbers who would like to know!
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
iBooks will read any DRM-free ePub file. It's the nicest ePub reader that I've used, thus far.
yeah that's something of the irony here.

Apple for years has been know to lock people into iTunes until they added drmfree AAC. And Amazon was the one who challenged this by setting up arguable one of the best MP3 Music stores.

And now in the ebook world Amazon locks you into theirs, Yes I know you can strip and covert yadda yadda (for all the kindle fans ready tochime in)
and Apple supports e-Pub.

interesting twist if you ask me.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #25
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Of course, there is also lock-in with iBooks. It uses a different ePub DRM scheme, one that hasn't been cracked (unlike all other ePub and Amazon DRM).

Books purchased on iBooks will work on iPad and (now) iPhone only.

Last edited by Teddman; 06-08-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #26
LevAizik
LevAizik is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you actually used one, Lev?
I sell them. (Israel)
LevAizik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #27
MrDrWatson
MrDrWatson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I'm glad to know I can use the epubs I have in my Sony prs 505 with the Ipad, can I do the same with the comics I have? Cbr and Cbz files? Which app allows it? I've read about comic apps but it seems I can only read the ones I buy from them. And has any one tried a comic on the Ipad? How easy is it to read in landscape mode with 2 pages at a time? (like if it was a paper comic).
Thanks, I'm waiting for the Ipad to be available in Portugal and researching the pros and cons, it is a bit expensive.
MrDrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrWatson View Post
I'm glad to know I can use the epubs I have in my Sony prs 505 with the Ipad, can I do the same with the comics I have? Cbr and Cbz files? Which app allows it? I've read about comic apps but it seems I can only read the ones I buy from them. And has any one tried a comic on the Ipad? How easy is it to read in landscape mode with 2 pages at a time? (like if it was a paper comic).
Thanks, I'm waiting for the Ipad to be available in Portugal and researching the pros and cons, it is a bit expensive.
Stanza for iPad can purportedly read cbz/cbr files..I haven't tried it myself, but a couple users in the Apple Devices forum report mixed results so far (problem with files bigger than 20M?)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #29
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I went and borrowed a friend's iPad for the weekend. People say don't knock it if you haven't tried it so I did. Both me and my wife had a go for a while.
It just didn't come close to eInk in reading experience. We both read about 10 hours a week each, mainly indoors, but an occasional chapters is read by the poolside in the sun.

My kids were impressed though. I promised my 7 year old daughter one for her next birthday. Hopefully the price will come down a bit in the 8 months I have left
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #30
Barlo
Barlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX: NotionInk ADAM: QUE ProReader
Due to the sheer fact that iPads are relatively well priced compared to the other 9+" eReaders currently available and the fact that I do not currently have a notebook so it could be used for more than just reading I too am thinking of taking the iPad route for reading PDF's mainly.
The only two main points against it for me now are the lower battery life (though 10hrs is probably all I really need per charge) and the screen glare which seems to be negated slightly with an anti glare kit.
I think I will have to borrow one from a friend and report back here how I find them.
Barlo is offline   Reply With Quote