Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #46
kleinjar
Connoisseur
kleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: none
So I just tried MapleRead on my 2nd gen ipad pro. The review on its app store page mentions that there’s a long interval between page flips, and it takes a perceptible while to load the next section of a book, both of which are true. Anyone else bothered by this? These two issues make it impossible to quickly flip through a book, which can be useful sometimes. It’s curious that no one seems to have commented on this.

Also I wish ebook apps would make the middle gutter in two-column mode the same width as the side gutters. Some apps make the middle gutter twice as wide (basically two margins side by side) which just looks wonky to me.

Also tried tiReader. The features look great but theres a perceptible delay when you tell it to flip to the next page, which is slightly annoying. The interface animations when inside a book are also slow, which which just gives it an overall feeling of sluggishness.
kleinjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:53 AM   #47
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
So having been a Marvin fan, but still awaiting my used iPad replacement.. via someone.

I now have a Kindle Fire HD 8 - 8" - Light and inexpensively got during post NYE sale.

Whats the closest thing to Marvin that one can get on Amazon Fire HD / Android Tablet for ePubs/ Mobis/ PDFs?
(I dont mind installing Play Store on it using XDA toolkit or Sideloading an APK)

Currently I am using the default Kindle reader & like the highlighting etc. but this is mostly some few books I have on Amazon cloud & would prefer not to rely on it.

Much rather push pull books via Calibre and/ or a Cloud drive with folders.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2020, 05:55 AM   #48
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
Indeed an interesting article.

So is this one https://fs.blog/how-to-read-a-book/

The more analytical reading I do, the more I highlight and write notes.

https://fs.blog/2015/01/marginalia/
In the world of ebooks, the future of marginalia and reading looks different. With electronic reading devices, the ease of inserting these thought fragments has diminished. I have Kindle and while I’m trying to use it more, there are issues. By the time I’ve highlighted a section, clicked on make a note, and labored intensively at the keyboard, I’ve often lost the very thought I was trying to capture.

I agree. That's one of the reasons why I only use Kindle for books I don't need to take notes on, and am willing to go through the trouble of converting books purchased from amazon, and reading them in MapleRead, which has the best integerated note taking and note management system, IMHO.

When I exchange notes with friends via MapleRead, the notes are kept separately without messing up each other. This is a very unique feature, that seems to be not explicitly covered anywhere in its documentation. I think I discovered it by just doing it. That's fun! I doubt if most MapleRead users even know about this feature.
I agree on one thing.. Note taking & making is key.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:57 PM   #49
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I went from Stanza to Marvin to FBReader. FBReader has all that I love from the other two PLUS has iOS and Android versions and syncs between both platforms.

I think Marvin was easier in the “playing with the look of the page”...if I remember right. But it’s been so long and I have found a day and night look I like...so it’s all good with FBReader for me.

Ps: I don’t give a flying fig about the level of CSS support
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #50
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I went from Stanza to Marvin to FBReader. FBReader has all that I love from the other two PLUS has iOS and Android versions and syncs between both platforms.

I think Marvin was easier in the “playing with the look of the page”...if I remember right. But it’s been so long and I have found a day and night look I like...so it’s all good with FBReader for me.

Ps: I don’t give a flying fig about the level of CSS support
I would go to FBReader, but there appears to be no way to set both the left side and the right side taps to go forward. That is a show stopper for me.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #51
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I would go to FBReader, but there appears to be no way to set both the left side and the right side taps to go forward. That is a show stopper for me.
You can definitely do that. 3 sections on each side (top, middle bottom). I have 5 of the 6 set for forward and the top right set for back.

Settings/Screen/Tap Zones. There are actually 9 zones...but I always leave the middle row from top to bottom as "Toggle Toolbars".
Old 06-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
FBReader is lousy for displaying ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #53
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can definitely do that. 3 sections on each side (top, middle bottom). I have 5 of the 6 set for forward and the top right set for back.

Settings/Screen/Tap Zones. There are actually 9 zones...but I always leave the middle row from top to bottom as "Toggle Toolbars".
I have tried everything in IOS to get it to work. If I depress forward in the left column, the right column changes to backwards. I've tried to expand with the little dots, but it just makes a mess. Perhaps the android version is better.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #54
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I have tried everything in IOS to get it to work. If I depress forward in the left column, the right column changes to backwards. I've tried to expand with the little dots, but it just makes a mess. Perhaps the android version is better.
it was the iPhone I was looking at when I wrote that note.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBReaderSettings.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	852.3 KB
ID:	179804  

Last edited by issybird; 06-09-2020 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Colossal image.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #55
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
it was the iPhone I was looking at when I wrote that note.
I've been spending some time messing around with it and finally got both the left and the right thirds to go forward. So, I know have a backup to Marvin for when it quits.

Thanks everyone for all the help.