Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
likewater
likewater began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Unable to convert foreign language dictionary for Kindle

I have a US Kindle 4. It came w/ the standard dictionaries (Oxford etc.). I would like to read German books so I would like to have a German Dictionary on my Kindle device.

Curiously, Kindle for PC comes with a great German dictionary (German-German not German-English) but... you can not buy that dictionary. Bizarre.

So via Calibre I found a nice German-English dictionary. Loaded the mobi file to kindle via USB, but is views it as an English dictionary and will not use it to translate the German text.

Calibre metadata conversion:
I converted the source language of the book to German (originally it was set to English) inside of Calibre, the exported it to device from within Calibre, but again, the Kindle views this book as an English dictionary.

Poking around inside Calibre's folder for the book the XML in the "metadata.opf" file states:
<dc:language>deu</dc:language>
deu ~ Deutsch aka German.

Perhaps the language is also inside the *.mobi file and that still states English? Any ideas on how to successfully convert the file to german and export to a US Kindle would be appreceiated.

Thanks!
likewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why convert, you can get any additional dictionaries FREE for your Kindle at the your Manage My Kindle page.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
likewater

I am not seeing that when I log into Amazon. I see
- your kindle library (shows what I have but no options to add anything new)
- you kindle account (nothing there).

I do not see any foreign language dictionaries offered w/in those screens. Which is what drove me to find other options (which hasn't worked).
Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likewater View Post
I am not seeing that when I log into Amazon. I see
- your kindle library (shows what I have but no options to add anything new)
- you kindle account (nothing there).

I do not see any foreign language dictionaries offered w/in those screens. Which is what drove me to find other options (which hasn't worked).
Funny, I get the option for about a half dozen dictionaries.

Maybe this is the Amazon cloud
My K4 NT came with some dictionaries installed.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
likewater

Do you have Amazon Prime? I don't. My Kindle came with Oxford English and Oxford American English. The latter was set as the default.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
likewater

SOLVED. Confused, but solved.

I'm a bit confused, but it appears that I was able to find/get my dictionary after all. Here's what I did.

at first: on my Kindle for PC weeks ago I obtained "Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch", the default Kindle German dictionary. My recollection is that when I purchased a German language book, this dictionary was automatically downloaded. Note that this title is not available in the US amazon.com store nor is it available for purchase from amazaon.de as a Kindle book (~39EU for the paper version). It is, however, the default dictionary if you buy a Kindle in Germany.

So with my US Kindle registered at amazon.com I switch country to Germany via Manage My Kindle (providing a legit German address/phone)

Picked out some free German books on my new online home amazon.de.

Switched country back to US via amazon.de's Manage My Kindle page.

At this point if I search my amazon.com Manage My Kindle page I *do not have* "Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch". I also do not have that dictionary on my Kindle device. A day later I clicked the link titled see my amazon.de purchases (on amazon.com's manage my kindle) then I *do* see that book. Now, I never "purchased" that book via the amazon.de site, nor did I purchase is on amazon.com site. Perhaps it saw it missing when I was a amazon.de registered user? Anywhay when I saw that book listed in my amazon.de purchases I was able to send to device. It arrived and was automatically set as my default German dictionary.

It works. I can now read Baron von Münchhausen in the original!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

That's weirder

I don't have prime
I have the NT (no SO version)
and I have that dictionary (available) (I don't read/speak German)
No fussing with languages, it is there.