Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-29-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I found an error-free book

I read about 30 books a year, and I just finished reading a book published this century that didn't have any mistakes in it. The first one I have ever come across, and it was corporation published, too. Shame they don't credit the proofreader, I'd like to read more books like this.

Anyone else ever come across any error-free books first published this century?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Not sure. I can only claim that the vast amount of books I read don't seem to have any eye-poking, flag-waving, look-at-me-I'm-an-error errors.

Spoiler:
And no ... I'm not claiming I read a vast amount of books.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
A purchased book? Never. In fact the last book I just read I was so annoyed at the number of errors (well over 200, didn't count them), that I sent an email to the publisher (they stupidly asked for corrections to be sent to them).

When I read, errors just jump out at me and I find it very distracting to the flow of reading. I gave up trying to ignore the errors and now I just make a highlight when I find them and fix my copy of the book later whenever I get to it.

A few errors I can live with. Over 100 errors I find appalling that someone actually put a book out like that. And got paid for it!
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Books by Dr. Donald Knuth are as close to error-free as I've ever found --- and best of all, if one finds an error, one can send it in and get a reward.

See: http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/%7Euno/books.html

I received a (physical) check for $2.88 for finding 1 error in his book Digital Typography (pointed out that Monotype metal casting machines was a proper noun, whereas the monotype process was a different thing) --- $2.56 and an additional $0.32 for suggesting a point of improvement (mention that a later version of TeX had made it possible to spell a word differently when it was hyphenated).

http://www.quora.com/Donald-Knuth/If...did-you-get-it
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
A purchased book? Never. In fact the last book I just read I was so annoyed at the number of errors (well over 200, didn't count them), that I sent an email to the publisher (they stupidly asked for corrections to be sent to them).
If you didn't count them, how did you come up with "well over 200"?

Why is it stupid for the publisher to ask for corrections to be sent to them if you claim there were so many?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I read about 30 books a year, and I just finished reading a book published this century that didn't have any mistakes in it. The first one I have ever come across, and it was corporation published, too. Shame they don't credit the proofreader, I'd like to read more books like this.

It wasn't "Finnegan's Wake," was it?

Seriously, what was the name of this book?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finnegan-1024x768.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	127457  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-29-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

Why is it stupid for the publisher to ask for corrections to be sent to them if you claim there were so many?
If I was the publisher, I would like to think I could find the errors myself. Asking a customer to find and report so many errors shows a lack of effort by the publisher.

IMO.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
If you didn't count them, how did you come up with "well over 200"? ...
Using my imagination... There was probably a general pattern of at least an error every other page, the book was greater than 400 pages, so ...

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:

How about "The Wit and Wisdom of <elided>" 64 blank pages ?

You just mean you didn't spot any errors, only the almighty can be sure there weren't any.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If I was the publisher, I would like to think I could find the errors myself. Asking a customer to find and report so many errors shows a lack of effort by the publisher.
I think such a request shows a lack of respect for the value of work, and represents an attempt to devalue it.

Quote:

IMO.
Likewise.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Perhaps the publisher was skeptical of the claim. Or wanted to know what the person considered an error. Were these supposedly factual errors, grammatical errors, alternate spellings, stylistic inconsistencies, unconventional punctuation, typos?

I've seen people call things errors that are not errors at all, but matters of author choice and editorial judgment.

But possibly the book in question was an unproofed OCR.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It wasn't "Finnegan's Wake," was it?

Seriously, what was the name of this book?
The Fallen by Charlie Higson (5th book in series).
Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
How about "The Wit and Wisdom of <elided>" 64 blank pages ?

You just mean you didn't spot any errors, only the almighty can be sure there weren't any.
It's a by-product of my mental health issues. Things that are wrong leap out at me. It also makes it impossible to watch TV with logos in the corner of the screen, even if they are almost invisible.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

IMO.
If they had a sign on their website asking people to report errors, I'd agree with you.

He came to them,
said "there's %s errors in the book",
and they asked "Oh? Where?"
and he said " not telling".

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #15
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If they had a sign on their website asking people to report errors, I'd agree with you.

He came to them,
said "there's %s errors in the book",
and they asked "Oh? Where?"
and he said " not telling".

Telling a company that their product is substandard is not an invitation for that company to then say, "well then fix it for us for free."

Proofreading is a profession. It's not easy, it's not free, and it's not the responsibility of the customer.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote