Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-12-2014, 12:53 AM   #61
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
There is no way that I could get half-way through WoT by the end of the month, let alone finish it, so I am ignoring it. Ancillary Justice will get my first place vote, Neptune's Brood or Warbound will get 2nd and 3rd, followed by Parasite, which I thought was OK, but didn't like the ending.
It may be worth mentioning that Parasite is the beginning of a trilogy, not a standalone. That may affect your views on the ending. (Or, y'know, not.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #62
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This thread and the $1.99 sale prompted me to buy & read Ancillary Justice (was waiting for a price drop) and I must say I liked it quite a lot. Certainly seems worthy of it's nomination.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #63
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
It may be worth mentioning that Parasite is the beginning of a trilogy, not a standalone. That may affect your views on the ending. (Or, y'know, not.)
I knew that before I read it.

Spoiler:
However, it bugged me that with all the testing that was going on, everybody at Symbogen, Dr. Cale, probably Sally's family, and all the other parasite driven people must have known that her brain was one big tapeworm. I suppose one can argue that she's just an unreliable narrator, but from very early in the book, I couldn't help thinking that her new personality was a tapeworm, and how could Symbogen be able to keep it a secret from her and her family for so long?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #64
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
BG:

It's obvious that Symbogen knows more than they're telling her and her family, both from the narrative and the excerpts. I mean, I was in the hospital a month ago and they ran several tests on me, but I never saw the raw data; all I got were the results they summarized for me. For all I know, the CAT scan could've shown all kinds of strange stuff that they decided not to disclose.

As a concrete example, my barium swallow test results got sent to two doctors. One called me to let me know it showed gallstones. The other never mentioned that.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #65
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
BG:

It's obvious that Symbogen knows more than they're telling her and her family, both from the narrative and the excerpts. I mean, I was in the hospital a month ago and they ran several tests on me, but I never saw the raw data; all I got were the results they summarized for me. For all I know, the CAT scan could've shown all kinds of strange stuff that they decided not to disclose.

As a concrete example, my barium swallow test results got sent to two doctors. One called me to let me know it showed gallstones. The other never mentioned that.
One hopes that the second doctor knew that the first doctor was responsible for telling you about the gallstones. If they knew that each other was getting the results, they may have discussed the results before talking to you.

Parasite discussion with spoilers:
Spoiler:
I'm sure that in the subsequent books it will come out that SymboGen knew all along and was hiding the information because it would have been shut down the moment the public and/or government found out about what was happening. Maybe I should have realized sooner that since this was an first person narrative, and she clearly didn't understand what was going on and had pretty much had to relearn everything from babyhood, that it was an unreliable narrator. For example, I knew that the narrator in Julian Comstock was an unreliable narrator and I found that novel to be a lot more fun.

I'll have to think about it a bit more, especially about all the tapeworm people showing up and spying at Symbogen. Maybe I'll bump it up in my voting, or not.
Advert
Old 07-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #66
Pete731
Connoisseur
Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
Next category is Graphic Story. I thought this was an interesting one, especially since one of them is a web comic.

1. Time (XKCD)
2. Saga Volume 2
3. Girl Genius Volume 13
4. The Girl who Loved Dr. Who
5. The Meathouse Man

Despite really really liking the whole Saga Series (enough that I actually have them on the funny old fashioned dead tree stuff ) I had to go with XKCD for the win. I think that one specifically, and the comic generally, both deserve it. I might not always understand it, but it's usually pretty creative. And of course Saga for no. 2. Girl Genius is OK, it's never really taken off with me. The Dr. Who one probably suffered in my estimation because I'm not a Who fan, but was well done. Meathouse Man I didn't finish, not my kind of thing. It's OK I guess, but not what I'm into, guess I'm just not a big fan of that kind of graphic in my graphic novels.
Pete731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #67
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm not at all sure the Graphic Story category should exist. I really like Saga, too, and gave it my only vote, but I just don't think comics really lend themselves to this kind of award, because of their ongoing nature. Very few of them are standalone stories. Girl Genius is completely impenetrable to me, by now. I don't get the love for it at all, but I haven't been there since the start. Saga won with volume 1 last year, deservedly in my opinion, but I think that's probably becoming hostile to new readers already.

Comics have enough awards of their own, just like movies. Do any of the creators care about this one?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #68
bgalbrecht
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Girl Genius is completely impenetrable to me, by now. I don't get the love for it at all, but I haven't been there since the start.
I don't see how that is any different from The Wheel of Time, the Mira Grant NewsFlesh series that kept getting nominated, the third novel in the GrimNoir Chronicles, the fifth Game of Thrones novel or any other series novel that has been nominated.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #69
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I do struggle with any late-series book/story/episode that relies on earlier knowledge, but I think it's far more common in comics that they just run on open-ended like a soap opera until people get fed up of them. Even if they have distinct self-contained storylines, the accumulated background can still make them hard to get into.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #70
bgalbrecht
Wizard

I am not sure if graphic novels have the same problem, but I have found that webcomic story lines take forever to get anywhere, which can make it frustrating to read them. Perhaps it's less noticeable when you've got a 30-60 page book that comes out once a month.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #71
Laurablue
Connoisseur
Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc, Sansa Clip Zip, Sansa Fuze+
Among the graphic novels, Meathouse Man seems to be a stand-alone, and so is The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who (if you overlook the on-going nature of Dr. Who in general!) I thought I would really like Agatha H. as I enjoyed the first omnibus, but I just didn't get into it, and I don't think reading the intervening 11 volumes would help. Girl Genius volumes won the first three Hugos for Graphic Story! (Can't believe that Locke and Key didn't win either year that it was nominated!)
I think Saga Volume 2 will be my first place pick, although I really admire the emotional arc that The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who achieved within it's standalone framework.
Laurablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:20 AM   #72
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurablue View Post
Among the graphic novels, Meathouse Man seems to be a stand-alone, and so is The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who (if you overlook the on-going nature of Dr. Who in general!)
But without Dr. Who and knowledge about it the story would not work. I thought Meathouse Man was good and that it is stand-alone is a great plus for me.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #73
Pete731
Connoisseur
Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Pete731 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
I understand the frustration with graphic novel series going on forever, that's one of the reasons I went with Time for the win. In some ways it's a story in a single panel. I'm OK with the category generally, the Hugo's are about storytelling, that's why they have the other categories. Like the one I ranked next, Dramatic Presentation Long Form. So a fancy way of saying movies
Anyway, I had to run out and rent a couple of these, yay Red Box! Glad I did though, cause one of them I enjoyed way more than I thought I would.
1. Gravity
2. Pacific Rim
3. Catching Fire
4. Frozen
5. Iron Man 3
Large range here IMO. I had to debate long and hard with myself about Gravity and Pacific Rim, since I really enjoyed both. Ultimately I went with Gravity because of the human, smaller scale element. I get a little tired of last minute saves from world ending events. Catching Fire came in next, mainly because this is for the movie, not the book, and I felt that it suffered by comparison, but was still better than the other two. Frozen and Iron Man 3 were in race for the bottom IMO. Iron Man took the bottom slot, as I was seriously disappointed by it. Worst of it's series, and probably worst super hero movie generally. Frozen gets 4 cause it at least had decent music. I'm not a Disney fan, really glad I don't have kids so I'll never have to watch it again. It felt formulaic and predictable, and I have issues with Disney's portrayal of gender and gender roles.
Anyway, fun category, I never would have seen Gravity without it, so happy about that.
Pete731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #74
Laurablue
Connoisseur
Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laurablue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc, Sansa Clip Zip, Sansa Fuze+
That brings me to the question, when to use the No Award category. If I understand how the voting works, even if I rank a work 3rd or 4th, the run-off system means my ballot might count towards that work winning the category. I think this means if I believe a particular work shouldn't win the Hugo, I should leave it off my ballot entirely. I won't be voting in the movie category due to lack of motivation to watch all of them, but I saw most of Frozen and I'd probably just leave it off my ballot if I were voting in that category (I was both too annoyed by the characters and bored by the story to finish watching.)
Laurablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #75
DrNefario
Wizard

I nominated The World's End, and it didn't make the ballot, so I'm sulking by not voting.

(Also, I've only seen Pacific Rim of the actual nominees, and while it was kind of fun, it was also kind of dumb.)