Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The Bering Land Bridge

For Ardeegee

http://www.cyberwest.com/cw09/v9scwst1.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beringia

http://whyfiles.org/061polar/anthro.html

http://www.nps.gov/bela/index.htm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...17-bering.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
As I said in the other thread, "conjecture built upon conjecture", and none of it explains the earlier sites found in South America, Pennsylvania, Texas, California, South Carolina, etc. etc.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ah, one of them shows that maybe the glacier wasn't there. What do you think about everyone (yes scientists - see the links I posted) that don't agree with your pet theory. Again I remind you the topic under discussion is the Clovis people and their arrival when and how. If you want to discuss hypothetical glaciers and land bridges please feel free to do so in the other thread.
All the maps I find of the extent of glaciation at the last glacial maximum agree pretty closely with the few I posted. Care to point out maps showing glaciers covering Beringia?

And let's look at the links you posted. The first one from 1996 is in direct contradiction to the fifth one from 2006. The first one says that research has shown that flooding of Beringia happened 12,000 years ago, not 14,000 years ago. The fifth one says that research now shows flooding of Beringia to have happened 11,000 years ago, not 12,000 years ago. Who's to say that a study in 2016 won't flip the date once again?

The third link supports the 11,000 year date, and also says that "terrestrial plants and animals were living on the land bridge." And the first link says that "the Bering land bridge vegetation at the time consisted primarily of tundra plants and shrubs."

All of which supports the only point that I was arguing-- that Beringia wasn't under "miles of ice."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
kennyc

Hee-hee. Controversy. They clearly don't agree. Exactly my point. And please show me where I said there were miles of ice? Oh, wait, I didn't. I think that's more of your imagination (or confusion) at work.

There is controversy in whether the land bridge existed, if it did how big it was, if it did whether it was glaciated or not, what time frame it existed in, whether it actual was a path whereby the Clovis peoples came to the Americas or not.

Last edited by kennyc; 03-29-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And please show me where I said there were miles of ice? Oh, wait, I didn't. I think that's more of your imagination (or confusion) at work.
I never said that YOU said it-- but it WAS said, and that was what I was replying to.

Quote:
There is controversy in whether the land bridge existed,
Show me scientists saying that the land bridge never existed.

Quote:
if it did whether it was glaciated or not
Show me scientists saying that it was glaciated.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
kennyc

Show me wonder woman pushing a dinosaur (across the frozen tundra of alaska)

Controversy Ardeegee, there are many discrepancies and unknowns. You pointed it out yourself in the few links I posted. I've show you all I need to. You may think you know exactly the details but there are many who are willing to admit there is much not known including the list of things I specified.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
As I said in the other thread, "conjecture built upon conjecture", and none of it explains the earlier sites found in South America, Pennsylvania, Texas, California, South Carolina, etc. etc.
But that's easy! There was this continent of Atlantis... But Donovan sang it much better!

Quote:
The continent of Atlantis was an island
which lay before the great flood
in the area we now call the Atlantic Ocean.
So great an area of land, that from her western shores
those beautiful sailors journeyed
to the South and the North Americas with ease,
in their ships with painted sails.

But all jokes aside...

Why should all people in the Americas have crossed by the Bering Strait? Thor Heyerdahl proved in the '70's and '80's that people could sail in their primitive crafts across oceans. I also once saw a documentary that suggested that people from Europe crossed the shrunken Atlantic Ocean, alongside the ice sheet, in dugout canoes.

As long as we don't have a time machine, we'll never be sure, and all theories are conjectures.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

http://www.beringia.com/research/beringia_research.html
Old 03-30-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
As long as we don't have a time machine, we'll never be sure, and all theories are conjectures.
Luckily, we all have tiny time machines hidden away in our cells.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...df/9973301.pdf

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...2MgDjR9Q1me1Eg

http://www.physorg.com/news160214945.html
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
But that's easy! There was this continent of Atlantis... But Donovan sang it much better!

Damn! That MUST be it!!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #12
kennyc

Quote:

Why should all people in the Americas have crossed by the Bering Strait? Thor Heyerdahl proved in the '70's and '80's that people could sail in their primitive crafts across oceans. I also once saw a documentary that suggested that people from Europe crossed the shrunken Atlantic Ocean, alongside the ice sheet, in dugout canoes.

And Given the Greenlandbridge what stopped the Europeans from walking to New York!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
How do we know ancient man (and woman) was not able to 'walk on water' .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #14
kennyc

I heard this story once...
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 AM   #15
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
How do we know ancient man (and woman) was not able to 'walk on water' .....
Couldn't they just hitch a ride on the spacecraft that visited frequently?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote