Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
K2 skins recommendations/reviews? Wanted: add grip, no bulk, good fit/coverage

Hi!

So I've had my K2 for a couple of days, and in reading and carrying it around naked (the K2, of course, not me :-P ), I've realized that part of what I want for it is to be grippier (in particular, the brushed aluminum back of the thing), but no more bulky.

After searching the forums a bit, I've found references to skins available from DecalGirl, iStyles, skinit, and to silicone "cases" by Kroo.

The decals look great! ...except for the parts where they don't cover the Kindle...so I'm not totally sold on those... For those who have them, I have two questions:
  • Do they seem like they'd protect the Kindle (either K1 or k2) from scratches?
  • Do they add any grippiness to the Kindle (K2, in particular)?

Having seen/used silicone cases for other gadgets in the past, I can say that I usually find them to be *too* grippy and to add to much bulk for my taste; I'm not really figuring on protecting it from drops...as I find that, with my gadgets, I prefer the risk of dropping it over dealing with the added bulk which is there 100% of the time.

I also found, both independently and, after that, searching specifically here, a product called Zagg InvisibleShield, which may be just what I'm looking for. They have a version for the Kindle 1 here:
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php

...but they don't have a Kindle 2 one yet. It seems to add awesome scratch resistance, and pretty much no bulk, so I'm happy with that idea on two of the three counts. Assuming the fit and coverage is good, I'd only be left with hoping it adds enough grip...

Can anyone who has experience with the InvisibleShield product provide any info about it? Maybe in particular, on the fit/coverage (especially since the K2 has its curves), and the grippiness compared to the K2's naked back?

If you want to encourage them to make one for the Kindle 2, you can go to this page and submit a request:
http://www.zagg.com/hotgadgets/index.php
...in the dropdowns, select Miscellaneous --> Amazon --> Kindle 2

Thanks!

Last edited by Starhawk; 02-27-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added links to zagg
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I got one of the silicone cases for my K1 as I have it for my smaller ZUNE that I travel with, and I love that one! The biggest problem with the silicone on the K1 was it put too much pressure on the right hand page turn button and there were random page turns. As for grippiness it was fine. Of course, there is the textured back on the K1 which has been dropped on the K2 (maybe they wanted to make the K2 like the namesake skis, nice and slippery on the bottom). The skin doesn't add anything in thickness so will not add bulk if you want a cover.

I will get a skin, and probably even rotate between a few as I quite frankly find the plain kindle kind of boring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	24581  
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
I have an Invisible Shield on my cell phone (Razr V3) and it's all it's advertised to be. EXTREMELY durable (it's been dropped more than once), grips to all the curves and angles, and easy to apply. I couldn't rate it more highly.

Probably adds a bit of "grip" to the phone, but mostly I was trying to reduce bulk in my purse, and with a phone, it's tough to gauge that as opposed to the K2. But if that's the type of protection you want, it's fantastic.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
meglet
Enthusiast
meglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't littermeglet doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I have an Invisible Shield on my iPhone. I like it, but it was very difficult to apply, and I never did get the corners right so they look horrible now. Plus, the front seems to attract stickyness like nothing else I've used. It always feels icky, and I'm constantly cleaning it off.

For my Kindle 2, I picked up a Gelaskins Bookshelf skin. It's really more of a sticker than a skin, but it's cute, the artwork is nice, it's easy to apply, and it provides the perfect amount of grippyness when holding the Kindle outside a case.
meglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by meglet View Post
I have an Invisible Shield on my iPhone. I like it, but it was very difficult to apply, and I never did get the corners right so they look horrible now. Plus, the front seems to attract stickyness like nothing else I've used. It always feels icky, and I'm constantly cleaning it off.
People ask me about using those on the iPhone and I point out that it not only changes the feel of that optical glass but constantly stroking plastic leads to electrostatic build up (turns it into a lint magnet.)

I personally advise people to get one of the Scotch Brite cleaning cloths and thus take good care of the glass by not using the wrong cloth and scratching it with bits of grit.

With Amazon's "interesting choice" of not putting a stiff plastic protective sheet over the eInk panel in the Kindle 2 it is even more important than ever to use a proper cleaning cloth.

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...ing-cloth.html
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglet View Post
For my Kindle 2, I picked up a Gelaskins Bookshelf skin. It's really more of a sticker than a skin, but it's cute, the artwork is nice, it's easy to apply, and it provides the perfect amount of grippyness when holding the Kindle outside a case.
I just wish they'd come out with more Gelaskins designs for the K2. Over on Gelaskins' site www.gelaskins.com they've got some fantastic designs - but there's nothing there for the Kindle (any version). Compared to what's on Gelaskins' site I find the designs that Amazon's offering to be dull and uninspired.
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
lubberts
lubberts is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505, soon to be Kindle user!
Just wanted to let you know that I want the gelaskins for the Kindle2 as well, I sent an email to their customer service asking when they would be releasing them. I am still awaiting a response, but while on a search for another case option in the mean time I found Gelaskins skins for the Kindle 2 on Amazon.com!! just go to amazon.com and search for "kindle 2 gelaskin". The variety isn't as good as for the iphones on their website, but there they are plain as day!!
I wonder why they aren't on the gelaskins website yet??
lubberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Amazon's had the Gelaskin's since the K2 launched - but they haven't had a lot, and none were the styles I was interested in. Last I looked Amazon only had 4 or 5 different ones...
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Plus the Gelaskin's are only for the back of the Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
There's a new vendor for skins. They are very different from DecalGirl and some are actually stunning. They sell them on eBay and are now selling them on the Amazon site also. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_mi...skins+kindleSK

Here are a few I really like:

Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
srmalloy
Enthusiast
srmalloy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
There's a new vendor for skins. They are very different from DecalGirl and some are actually stunning. They sell them on eBay and are now selling them on the Amazon site also. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_mi...skins+kindleSK
The direct link to the dealer is http://www.3acp.com/3acp.htm, where you can see a slideshow of their Kindle 2 skins, plus an option for custom skins with user-supplied artwork. I'm waiting for a reply from them as to whether they have templates for positioning and cropping images to fit the front and back.
srmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:28 AM   #12
kyliedork
Connoisseur
kyliedork doesn't litterkyliedork doesn't litter

Device: kindle
wow, the red skin looks amazing
kyliedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have a skin purchased from 3acp.com. It just hasn't been delivered yet. Maybe when I get home today.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote