Notices

Old 08-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #16
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
Numbers of subscribers

Quote:
Subscribers are what magazines actually sell - to advertisers. Selling the actual magazine to readers is a sideline.
Magazines sell the number of subscribers to advertisers. Advertisers pay for access to the subscribers.

Ad rates are somewhat complex but the more subscribers a publication has the more of the higher paying advertisers it can attract which means more competition for pages in the publication. End result is more revenue for the publisher.

For various reasons the same ad in a single copy purchase of a magazine isn't worth as much so the publisher not only needs the higher cover price to encourage subscriptions but also to offset publication costs.
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #17
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I also think (based on personal experience only) that magazine subscriptions are also subsidized by the sale of subscriber's information to related advertisers.

The last time I had magazine subscriptions, I also got a lot of junk mail -- on top of all the "subscribe now and save!" offers. About four years ago, I let all of my subscriptions lapse and now I get almost no junk mail. I've recently resumed purchasing magazines, but I am buying them at the store, one issue at a time, because I am afraid that if I get a subscription, I will be put back on all those advertising lists!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:28 AM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I also think (based on personal experience only) that magazine subscriptions are also subsidized by the sale of subscriber's information to related advertisers.
I'm sure there's some of that. Especially with more main stream titles that very highly discount their subscriptions. Subscriber numbers/stats are useful/desirable to publishers for use in selling the ads that appear in the issues as well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Subscription numbers generate higher advertising rates.
News stand sales are soft numbers because unsold copies are returnable for credit.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote