Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sony Reader works well with Manga (review)

CBR's Tony Salvaggio has reviewed the Sony Reader's capabilities to display Manga content.

Quote:
Optimizing Manga for display on the Reader is no easy task, as the subtle tones and varied line weights have to be processed into the 4 color palette of the Reader. At 160 DPI, the manga displayed on the 6 inch screen was small, but very legible. Sources at Tokyopop confirmed that this level of legibility was arrived at through much trial and error, and more than a few pre-processing scripts before being encoded into the Reader's proprietary format. On the plus side, I was able to read the manga with no eye strain, even at the slightly reduced size (compared to the original print version).
Quote:
It seems that Tokyopop is one of the few publishers to jump on to the Sony Reader at the launch stage, although I did see a test example from another publisher, as well as a brand new Harlequin manga that came in the day I was at Sony. The complex tones of the shojou style book held up very well and increased my anticipation for what this technology could mean for portable manga reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonyreader002.jpg
Views:	1490
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1635   Click image for larger version

Name:	sonyreader003.jpg
Views:	1369
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1636  
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
Thumbs up

wow, very interesting.
Looks like a good way to read all those unlicensed mangas while being outside
But I wonder, how does normal manga in JPEG format look like, without this extensive encoding....
btw, can someone post some pictures of manga on sony reader/iliad or share their experience with manga on e-ink device ?
It would be very interesting to know....
Melf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #3
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I tried some jpegs of some X-Men comics I have, the result was very clear but very small.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote