Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
scylla2
scylla2 began at the beginning.

Device: GEB1150
What about LIT files?

I'm seriously considering buying a BeBook because of its support for ebooks in LIT format. I've gone through the forum here, however, and I've seen very little written about how well the BeBook handles this type of file.

I have a huge collection of ebooks, mainly in the (non-DRM) LIT format. Will I have much trouble with formatting and presentation if they are copied directly to the BeBook without running them through some kind of conversion process first?

Thanks for all replies.
scylla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I don't have a BeBook but I don't imagine it would have any trouble rendering LIT files. LIT is very easy to render. The actual content is basically HTML, just inside the LIT container.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have used calibre to convert my lit books to mobi on my EZ Reader. I did not like the format of the lit books using the EZ Reader. I also reflashed my EZ reader with the bebook firmware and tried the lit and had the same results.
The issue I had was that the print was too small and the line breaks were not correct and I would also have problems with the reader hanging or rebooting. And also neither firmware will read drm lit books.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There was a review with pictures of almost all the formats on a Hanlin, but it was posted at another site and I can't find it.

For me, only FB2 and MOBI and RTF display well on the Hanlin. The other formats are ok for occasional use but I would probably convert LIT to MOBI if it was my primary format and I used the standard Hanlin firmware. This is easy to do with Calibre, but if you use Calibre's GUI then you will loose any directory hierarchy. Since the GUI does not include the --compress option, it may be better to use the command line any2mobi anyway. Since MOBI is supported by many devices, there is then less reason to go with the Hanlin though.

One advantage of the Hanlin is that you can use OpenInkPot and FBReader, which is what I am doing. I actually have many ebooks in LIT format, and I used "ConvertLIT GUI" to explode them to OEB ebooks which FBReader will read directly (make a zip of the OEB's directory and rename it .oebzip).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have tried twice now to flash my EZ Reader with OpenInkPot and both times it hangs on the forth step of the update.
Am I doing something wrong. I followed the instructions and I know the SD card is correct I have been able to flash with the EZ reader .bin and also the BEbook .bin updates.
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life

Well after reformating the SD card I was finally able to get OI to flash
and I am going to see for myself what I have been reading about it.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Margrete
Connoisseur
Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.

Device: pixelar ebookreader (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scylla2 View Post
I'm seriously considering buying a BeBook because of its support for ebooks in LIT format. I've gone through the forum here, however, and I've seen very little written about how well the BeBook handles this type of file.

I have a huge collection of ebooks, mainly in the (non-DRM) LIT format. Will I have much trouble with formatting and presentation if they are copied directly to the BeBook without running them through some kind of conversion process first?

Thanks for all replies.
The only problem I have with reading the LIT format on my hanlin is that I find it reacts slower, takes longer time to load than when I read mobi. format, otherwise it works quite well for me
Margrete is offline   Reply With Quote