Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Download Guide

OK -- I know that the MobiPocket Download Guide was created in response to an unauthorized edition and was geared toward the Kindle user who has the ability to download directly into the device via the WhisperNet facility.

But, I find myself using it as a generalized catalog of just the MobiPocket books. Now that I have a Sony Reader as well, I want a Sony Download Guide.

Here's my rationale -- the online interface is too difficult to filter. Here's an example. Start by selecting "Sony BBeB (LRF)" from the E-Books pull-down in the blue bar. You get a page with just LRF-format books. It's too tedious to page 4 pages ahead at a time to get to the Ns which start on the 59th of the 88 pages, so click on the "N" in the guide at the top of the page. Oops! Now you're back to a listing of all the formats.

Having a guide for the Sony-format books means that I will not have the catalog cluttered with other formats. I would be able to browse titles and descriptions with my Sony Reader. And, even though I can't "order" and download directly into the Reader, I can plan what I'd like to download the next time I'm online.

A book about books seems goodness to me.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Here's my rationale -- the online interface is too difficult to filter. Here's an example. Start by selecting "Sony BBeB (LRF)" from the E-Books pull-down in the blue bar. You get a page with just LRF-format books. It's too tedious to page 4 pages ahead at a time to get to the Ns which start on the 59th of the 88 pages, so click on the "N" in the guide at the top of the page. Oops! Now you're back to a listing of all the formats.
Elsi,

Do it the other way around.

1. Go to the eBooks index https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php

2. Click on the "N"

3. Then, in the format drop down select "BBeB Books".

Yes, unfortunately if you select another index letter you will have to re-select the format. Perhaps submit a request to Alex in the feedback forum for it to remember the Format and Genre when you choose a new index letter.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Oh, and while we are talking about Download Guides, I have already requested that the 'IMP Download Guide' be created for ebookwise 1150 users.

The EBW1150 has just recently "acquired" the ability to download .imp directly from within a .imp ebook onto the reader as well as a .imp ebook directly from our IMP ebook upload forum here. In fact, EBW1150 users can also have a .prc ebook converted "on-the-fly" and the resulting .imp ebooks gets downloaded onto the reader via a plugin I wrote for the impserve program using Mobi2IMP.

The IMP Download Guide, like the Mobipocket one, would then just list the .imp ebooks along with the descriptions and be indexed similarly.

It would be great to have all three popular formats having their own Download Guide!

Maybe the Sony will "acquire" this ability to download any ebook therein as well...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Maybe the Sony will "acquire" this ability to download any ebook therein as well...
While this might be a wonderful enhancement to the device, I don't see that the ability to download books directly into the device should be the criterion to determine whether a download guide is created. The Guide can be just that -- a guide to what is available for download, regardless of the means by which that download is accomplished.

Yes, the download links wouldn't be active in the Sony Reader, but I view those as a very minor part of the MobiPocket Guide.

On a related topic ... Amazon just sent me an e-mail suggesting that I subscribe to Bookmarks. "... you can now save 22% on a subscription to the magazine for voracious readers, Bookmarks. So many books, so little time--let Bookmarks do the work for you. Every month, they sift through over 500 reviews, and create finely crafted summary reviews of new and classic books so you can refine your search to titles that interest you."

Readers like to read about books. The Download Guide from MobileRead makes excellent reading -- particularly where the submitter has taken some time to provide a summary and/or review of the book.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
It's an interesting idea, Elsi.
Jon has asked Alex to consider it. There may also be improvements in the book search facility in the fullness of time (if the software can be hacked and when Alex has time. His to-do list is very long at the moment.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Oh, and while we are talking about Download Guides, I have already requested that the 'IMP Download Guide' be created for ebookwise 1150 users

Bump... Elsi, thanks for reminding me about this one too!

I think you should have "dibs" on Alex's free/spare time, as your thread is older...

Hey, the Sony Daily Edition is coming out by the end of this year...
Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think that things are more complicated now with regard to Sony readers. They now read both LRF and EPub.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I think that things are more complicated now with regard to Sony readers. They now read both LRF and EPub.
Then I would think in simple terms i.e. Select input ebook format to include in Catalog (.prc, .epub, .lrf, .pdf, .imp) and then select output format of ebook to download (.prc, .epub, .lrf, .pdf, .imp). Oops, .imp generation may be difficult for linux systems, so I would settle for .prc output format!

Multi-purpose tool...

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-02-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard

Nick -- well, an any-to-any utility could be interesting.

Although I really would like catalogs for the various book types, I haven't said much about it 'cause there was some discussion of totally revamping the library and implementing a database -- from which it would be much easier to create a catalog. I'm patient. And Alex is very busy these days.