Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
benburrell
benburrell began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Red Leaves and the Living Token - a new, atypical, fantasy novel

I would love to share with you "Red Leaves and the Living Token," a new, slightly atypical, fantasy novel. I decided to take a chance and forgo the traditional publishing route in order to maintain the film rights. I'm in the CG/VFX business and those things are rather important to me. We'll see if that decision turns out to be a good one.

A little about me:
I graduated from film school a little over a decade ago and have been writing screenplays and shorts ever since. I turned a few of those into short films and won some awards in film festivals. "Red Leaves and the Living Token" actually started as a script as well. But after it grew past 300 pages it was clear the story needed more room than a script could give. As an animated feature, it needed to be in the 90 page ball park to have any chance at production.

Back to the introduction of the book, here's the blurb:

Doctors tell Raj that his son Emret won't survive his illness. As Raj struggles to prepare himself and Emret for the inevitable, he's confronted by Moslin, his son's nurse, who’s been filling Emret’s head with fairytales about heroic quests and powerful disease curing miracles. Emret now thinks that all he has to do is find the mythical Red Tree from the nurse's stories, and he'll live.

In an attempt to protect his son from further emotional damage, Raj asks Moslin to stay away from Emret. He returns hours later to find them both missing.

He searches the fairytales for clues to where they may have gone and stumbles upon stories that, strangely, he already knows. He saw them in a vision just before his son disappeared.

I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Here's the amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Leaves-Liv...dp/B007KFGS36/

Last edited by benburrell; 07-31-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: update
benburrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
oddly bodkins
Enthusiast
oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oddly bodkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aztak Pocket Pro, Palm Zire 72, IPad 2
I just downloaded your book. It looks quite interesting. Thank you for sharing it with us.
oddly bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
benburrell

Good to hear. I hope you enjoy!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Are there plans to make the book available in ePub for those of us who do not own Kindles and do not shop at Amazon?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
benburrell

I was suckered into amazon's kindle select promotion where I agreed to give them 3 months exclusive in exchange for promotional free days.

In two months, once that agreement expires, I'll make it available on smashwords, BN, goodread, and ibook.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks. I'll get mine from Smashwords since B&N doesn't sell outside the US.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
benburrell

That's two votes for smashwords.

For those interested, I've been offering book reviewers free copies of the book in exchange for reviews on amazon and goodreads. I'd be happy to offer the same here. Send me a PM and I'll get you an epub or mobi.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by benburrell View Post
That's two votes for smashwords.

For those interested, I've been offering book reviewers free copies of the book in exchange for reviews on amazon and goodreads. I'd be happy to offer the same here. Send me a PM and I'll get you an epub or mobi.
I appreciate the offer but for me, at least, I won't/can't accept for several reasons. First, I would feel obligated to write a positive review even if I dislike the book. Second, I would feel obligated to move the book to the top of my TBR list. Third, I never go to Amazon or Goodreads so I couldn't/wouldn't write a review for either of those places. If I really like a book, I write a review at my An American Editor blog. Fourth, I would have to find the book either exceptionally good or exceptionally bad to write a review. For the middle of the road books -- the 2 to 4 star books -- I do not bother writing reviews, negative or positive or mixed.

When the book comes out on Smashwords and if I get reminded about the book and if the price is right, I'll buy it and read it at my pleasure.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
benburrell

Quick note: Red Leaves and the Living Token is on sale for $.99 through out this next week.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
benburrell

"Red Leaves and the Living Token" is now available on Barns and Nobles, Smashwords, iBooks, and Kobo. Here are the links:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/1111...=2940033234196

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/161224

http://itunes.apple.com/book/id545366341?mt=11

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Red-L...nISKfBjc0Q&r=1
Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by benburrell View Post
Question, are the ePub editions on B&N and Kobo from Smashwords?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
benburrell

Yes. They are the same epub. Right now I'm offering the book in two formats. The first format is a series of three parts where the first part is free. The second format is a compilation of the three parts as a single ebook.

On Amazon both versions are available. On the other sites I've only got the 3 part series. I'm going to publish the single ebook version soon on all sites directly rather than going through smashwords.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
benburrell

Hi everyone. I've recently finished a revised edition of "Red Leaves and the Living Token" including a new world map, glossary and new cover. I'd love some feedback on the new cover. Is it more interesting, less interesting?

The image size limitations here are rather small to gauge the cover. So I'll include a link to higher res versions.

http://benburrell.com/hp_wordpress/?p=288

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, steampunk