Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #916
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
yes i can however because of invalid Values for Model, not even an Offical Update will work atm, can there be one crafted?

these were ones i flashed
kernel-3.4
mmcblk0p1-3.4+jb+keys
Those files do not contain your idme vars. K3flasher reads them and reports their values to you (and mentions that you should not publish them). You need to write the real values back to the location k3flasher reads them from.

You need the serial number first 4 characters to be correct for your model kindle so it can install update packages. Some kindles also need a correct PCBSN (especially the K4) so they know how to initialize DRAM. You need the MAC address associated with your serial number in amazon's in-house database, so you can register the kindle.

You could fake some of those at least to get it mostly working. But it would be better to restore your actual values. Did you ever save them using k3flasher?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #917
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
the only thing i could not beyond the kindle being an B006 (Wifi only) my Serial # and Mac Address was the Manufacture # i was however able to get from Amazon the serial # and Mac Address for Wifi.
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #918
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
the only thing i could not beyond the kindle being an B006 (Wifi only) my Serial # and Mac Address was the Manufacture # i was however able to get from Amazon the serial # and Mac Address for Wifi.
Those are the important ones, needed to register your kindle. You could use k3flasher to rewrite them to your kindle, with appropriate offset.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #919
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Those are the important ones, needed to register your kindle. You could use k3flasher to rewrite them to your kindle, with appropriate offset.
how? (please forgive i'm still trying to understand alot in linux, [kinda why i got a pi to experiment and learn)

ok looking thru, can do with idme however i cant get it to install (usbnetworking) because of invalid model type all updates get greyd out

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-14-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #920
geekmaster

Quote:
how? (please forgive i'm still trying to understand alot in linux, [kinda why i got a pi to experiment and learn)

ok looking thru, can do with idme however i cant get it to install (usbnetworking) because of invalid model type all updates get greyd out
You should be able to write your idme vars with k3flasher, I think. But hawhill would know for sure (or read the README and/or source code).

Can the K3 jailbreak run a custom RUNME script? The ones for K4 and K5 can. If so, it could write the idme vars during the jailbreak...
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #921
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think we ever documented where each var resides, sorry. Some were obvious in my backups, so I made k3flasher read and present them. Also, the backup shell script shipped with k3flasher does a backup of the full idme section. As geekmaster mentioned above, you would just have to restore a backup of it. However, I guess CaelThunderwing decided to go playing with ATK without bothering about backups, probably misleaded by the fact that "it looked already broken", right?

CaelThunderwing: The reason your vars are mangled is probably misuse of ATK or k3flasher. Take that as a lesson about reading carefully and double-checking. But we've all been there (in my world, that's how you learn how the cooking plate is hot and how backups are important - by being burned). What you can do now: Make that backup of the idme area - you need a starting point anyway. Take a hex editor and edit it. As for the locations, you would probably have to look into my k3flasher sources or the "idme" (and I think /etc/functions or something) scripts on the Kindle. At least the serial number and the MAC address positions could be worked out from the k3flasher sources as k3flasher reads that data.

When I find some free time, I could try to make an overview for the idme section and the positions of the variables within the flash. However, that "when" probably is around the upcoming holiday seasons, maybe still 10-14 days ahead...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #922
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

well like i mentioned i cant gain Access to the kindle thru usbnetworking as i cant install any update package other than amazon's offical ones, and thru the functions listing of your k3flasher i dont see how to dump the idme area, unless im just blind and im not seeing it (unless thats devid?)

atleast for now? its alove to where it can do teh basic functions a kindle was ment for, Reading ebooks (well till i register it again with amazon i cant do any of my amazon store ones)

and is it possible to modify the dumps from the pastbin links to have vars w/ my serial #/Mac Adress etc?

(well i ask about modifying the dumps to make it easier since i cant install USBNetworking i cannot use idme to set the serial # /Mac Address nor do i have a Serial console cable (my soder work is piss poor,) to set it via cable+Diags mode + PuTTY,

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-14-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #923
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It is devid.
And no, I don't know of any dumps of that flash area in the pastebin links (or elsewhere).
Maybe I should modify k3flasher to offer to change the variables in there that I know of. Will see what I can do, but in the mentioned time constraints...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #924
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
well like i mentioned i cant gain Access to the kindle thru usbnetworking as i cant install any update package other than amazon's offical ones, . . . .
If that is so, then it means the device does not have our developer key cert. installed.

Install it.
Use the jail break for that model of Kindle;

If you can't do that, then review all that you have done before.
You will be looking for any chance of having written a mis-matched kernel and system image to **either** main or diags.
OR
Having written only part of any of the files.

Need I mention this again? Keep it on a charger until it runs normally.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #925
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If that is so, then it means the device does not have our developer key cert. installed.

Install it.
Use the jail break for that model of Kindle;

You will be looking for any chance of having written a mis-matched kernel and system image to **either** main or diags.
OR

Need I mention this again? Keep it on a charger until it runs normally.

Not to sound rude as its kinda implying it wasnt something i tried i did, my vars (dev id) is mixed up/garbled

Hawhil, do you know how large devid is? if devid = the info function then it's 512kb right?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #926
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
OR
Use k3flasher and its included script to make a copy of the Kindle firmware as it now exists.

Compare with the image files you expected it to have flashed to the Kindle.

Guide your next actions on the above comparison outcome.

I am still voting for something not being the way you expect it to be.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #927
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

Quote:
Use k3flasher and its included script to make a copy of the Kindle firmware as it now exists.

Compare with the image files you expected it to have flashed to the Kindle.

Guide your next actions on the above comparison outcome.

I am still voting for something not being the way you expect it to be.
the Dumps are nearly identical, except for /var but my devid dump in a hex editor is just plain garble nonsense i dont have someone elses to compare against
Old 12-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #928
geekmaster

@Morry2002: Please post to the "simple debricking" sticky thread. I copied this PM there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morry2002
Hi been reading a few of the threads and found that u are def one of the more knowledgable out there. Just got myself a kindle k4 the one with the 5-key nav but it is a demo model trying to find the correct software to debrick it but no luck as of yet. I hav plugged it in to my pc and it recognises it but will not allow me access to the files to start the process I could really use some proper baby step help if you can that would b great. Thanks in advance morry2002
Try the simple debricking method. Look for the "noobs guide" in the simple debricking sticky thread first post. I have converted K4 demo units several times, but in some cases they cannot be registered with Amazon after "debricking".

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-16-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #929
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morry2002
Hi mate,
This is really starting to get to me now, trying to follow all the steps and stuff downloaded the mfgtool and still cant get anywhere as it still will not recognise the kindle actually being there, I could really use some help please cos i am just about ready to start banging my head and the kindle against a brick wall.
Any help will be really helpful.
Please post to the "simple debricking" sticky thread. That way others can help you too, and people can read the thread for useful answers provided in these messages. I am copying your PMs to that thread (where they belong).

EDIT: I strongly recommend against banging your kindle against a brick wall, because then it will likely need a replacement eink screen.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-16-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #930
CaelThunderwing
Zealot

@geekmaster i PM'd you my dumps (devid varfs partition3 and kernel) as the kindle stands now.(these were dumped using the k3backup script)

Edit: ok how would i go about editing my devid dump? viewing it in wxHexEditor (one i found for linux) there was Just jumbled nonsense

Last edited by CaelThunderwing; 12-17-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Tags
debricking