Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 05:44 AM   #16
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Actually... now that I think about it... Apple will probably release an iScissors that can cut paper and update your facebook status at the same time
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukoan View Post
Yeah... I hear what you're saying. My first ebook experience was reading ereader db's on a palm tungsten t3, (or was it t2??? so long ago now ). It was very readable... no strain on the eyes at all... so long as I only read in dimly lit places (where the back-lighting of the screen actually benefited the experience). Anyway, since I got the 505 I've marveled at the fact that I could now read a digital book using my bedside lamp, or in the park... just like a real book. I think it would be a shame if that sort of "real book" flavor was compromised for the sake of giving these devices more functionality. I mean we don't crave extra "functionality" for real books. Why not keep these things simple too, and save or the cool tech tricks for devices like pda's and phones? I guess all the bells and whistles help companies push more devices off shelves... and I'm all for lifting the whole ebook industry more into the mainstream...

... I'm ranting aren't I

anyway... even though there's something nice about a zen like piece of gadgetry that does one thing, and does it well... it's sounds like the whole glare thing is a moot point with these newer touch-screen devices, which is good to hear.
No. You are not ranting. I am completely with you on the issue. Love my 505 without glare/touch screen, without built-in light etc. I would buy 8" PRS-8xx the next minute it were announced...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #18
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I've nothing against touch screen possibilities for ebook readers, but like ebook devices themselves, they are much nicer in theory than in practice. The Sony seems to just be more of the same mediocrity we've had for the last few years.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #19
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
What's so tough about pushing a button every minute or two? Not eactly a coal-face job. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I wish they had demonstrated how it handles pdfs.

Can't wait to see more for this release.
It uses ADE so it handles PDF exactly the same as the 600 or 700 devices except the size of the screen is a bit larger. (longer but not much wider)

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It uses ADE so it handles PDF exactly the same as the 600 or 700 devices except the size of the screen is a bit larger. (longer but not much wider)

Dale
Understood Dale, but I am curious how the landscape orientation handles PDFs. On the 505 and 700 (in landscape), there is some awkward "fading" in the lower screen portion. I hope they have found a way to improve this.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Understood Dale, but I am curious how the landscape orientation handles PDFs. On the 505 and 700 (in landscape), there is some awkward "fading" in the lower screen portion. I hope they have found a way to improve this.
Interesting. I hadn't heard of the fading as a problem. Generally fading on the bottom row or so is intentional to indicate the part that is repeated on the next page. In a two column mode there should be no fading since there should be no repeat.

Dale
Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiC View Post
It looks like the screen is identical to PRS-600's.

yeah identical, only different. It's taller, right, physically and pixelly??
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I think you've misunderstood this .

When you use the Sony in landscape mode, it's actually displaying a magnified portrait mode page in two successive pages - first the top portion, and then the bottom portion. Because of the aspect ratio of the screen, however, landscape mode display more than half of a portrait mode page; the "faded area" indicates the area of overlap, so you can ignore it when you read the bottom half of the page.

ie, the "fading" is deliberate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #25
holterzoff
Connoisseur
holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.holterzoff could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle3w, Ipad, iphone4
premature comment:
the best thing in this review is the reviewer herself....
i spare you the touch comparison.
as for the reader, i want to read not touch!
cheers
holterzoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yes, it is 1024 pixels by 600 pixels at the same or similar DPI. The screen width seems almost the same physically as the standard 6" device that is also 600 pixels wide. This would make it 6.1" x 3.6" as compared to a 6" device at 4.8" at 3.6"

Dale
Old 11-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #27
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you've misunderstood this .

When you use the Sony in landscape mode, it's actually displaying a magnified portrait mode page in two successive pages - first the top portion, and then the bottom portion. Because of the aspect ratio of the screen, however, landscape mode display more than half of a portrait mode page; the "faded area" indicates the area of overlap, so you can ignore it when you read the bottom half of the page.

ie, the "fading" is deliberate.
Understood, Harry, but it still is awkward and (to me at least) annoying. Since it is deliberate, I would prefer a choice to not show the overlap text in either the upper or lower presentation of the PDF page. But this may not be technically feasible, and I do not read many PDFs, and it is, after all, only an annoyance.

Additionally there had been some talk of the 900 only showing one column of a two column PDF at a time, when in portrait mode. This would be good, given the increased height of the 900. It would then not need to be reflowed or magnified.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #28
AndreiC
Enthusiast
AndreiC began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yes, sorry for the ambiguity.

I only meant to talk about the general aspect and quality of the screen. The only thing different is the size.
AndreiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #29
llurgy
llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lindle
If the daily edition didnt have the touch screen I would have bought it for my daughters Christmas present. As it is, it has touch screen and therefore she will be the proud owner of a Kindle 2 on Christmas day.
Silly Sony......dont they read reviews from tech magazines or forums? I mean, there are people out there paying over the odds still for the 505's and the 600's seem on the face of it to being shunned, why bring another bigger model out of the same ilk that is being talked ill of?
llurgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daily edition, prs-900