Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #16
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Kierkegaard is largely unavailable because the translations are too recent. Sartre didn't die till 1980, so is still in copyright (with a couple of creative commons exceptions). Bertrand Russell survived until 1970, so all his work is in copyright, except for the pre-1923 works, which are available in the USA only.

Solzhenitsyn is also in copyright everywhere. And his translators also hold copyright in their translations. Ditto Maritain.

I don't see the point of listing things that are not in the public domain. And a moment's googling, or a wikipedia search, will usually establish the author or translator's death date quite easily.

The Baudelaire poems are available in French. But most of the Fleurs du Mal translations are in copyright, or bad, or both.
The Zola is readily available in French (try the Gallica site). The English translations that are in the public domain are mainly the Victorian ones by Vizetelly. They are awful: very stilted and dull.
Les Liaisons Dangereuses only has recent translations, still in copyright.
The Euclid would be very difficult to format, because of the diagrams. Plays are also often troublesome.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:14 AM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Do you know what I want as an ebook?

Idiot's Guide to Anthropophagy

P.S. This was a joke.
I'm probably going to have to write it myself. Would anyone like to help me with the research?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 AM   #18
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There is a sticky thread to request books. For the last year or longer this has worked well.

Ted, you have demonstrated that you are adept at extracting data from Gutenberg and making lists and indexes. There is a lot of effort to creating an ebook unless you follow the mechanical approach employed by manybooks. In fact almost all of the files at Gutenberg are currently available in LRF format at manybooks.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #19
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Count me in Nate. It sounds like a great project and we have so much source material here in the DC area.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 AM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There are several Kindle books on the subject but no "Idiots Guide" Or "Dummies" versions that I can see.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 02:37 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If something is at PG and not here, then the best way to get it here is to "do it yourself". It's really NOT difficult - I've written tutorials explaining one way of doing it (there are many others) here and here.

Most of the books here have been uploaded by a small number of people - it would be great to expand the number of contributors to our book collection. Please do "have a go"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Do you know what I want as an ebook?

Idiot's Guide to Anthropophagy
<snicker>

Quote:
I'm probably going to have to write it myself. Would anyone like to help me with the research?
note to self : add Nate to the list of people from whom never to accept an invitation "for a meal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Count me in Nate. It sounds like a great project and we have so much source material here in the DC area.
note to self : add RWood to the list as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, then someone is going to need to tell me what I'm going to need to go from PRC to LRF, because I don't have a Sony and don't plan to get one.

However, I can and will get it from txt into prc. I can also produce a TOC, but again .... I have no idea (since I have only created PRC) how to get it into the format that you specifically want.
What you do is use Book Designer (also include the Book Cleaner files as well) to make the LRF. Rgen follow HarryT's directions on how to then turn it into a PRC. Then download and install the Mobitools, Mobi2IMP and EBook Publisher so you can also turn it into IMP for the eBookWise 1150 and 1200.

Sounds more of a task then it actually is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #24
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
That's one of the frustrating things about living in the U.S. It has the longest copyright length for existing works of anywhere in the world (life + 95 years). There are works recently gone into the public domain in (life + 50) countries that I would be willing to do the work on, but I'm legally bound to do nothing on them for the rest of my life...

Coming soon to public domain in life + 50 countries.

James Branch Cabell (Jan 1, 2009)
Henry Kuttner (Jan 1, 2009)
Raymond Chandler (Jan 1, 2010)
Lester Dent (80% of the Doc Savages written)
(Jan 1, 2010)
Ernest Hemmingway (Jan 1, 2012)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #25
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Ricky:

The workflow I've been using is described at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44&postcount=4 I used Harry T's two excellent guides to Book Designer and MobiPocket Creator, though I did discover that there are a few tips in the book building thread that one needs to know about.
I'm having no problem with MobiPocket creator. I've done a few of the Beatrix Potter books using that, although I have not posted them here because I think they are already posted ... just in a form and format that I do not like very much (color images do not display very well).
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #26
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If something is at PG and not here, then the best way to get it here is to "do it yourself". It's really NOT difficult - I've written tutorials explaining one way of doing it (there are many others) here and here.

Most of the books here have been uploaded by a small number of people - it would be great to expand the number of contributors to our book collection. Please do "have a go"!
I would agree. I've written a few macros that allow me to reformat a PG book in a matter of a few seconds. I think what is going to take the time is proofreading each book to make certain the PG people didn't make any errors.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #27
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Bye the bye, the Laurence Donovan (Died 1950) Doc Savages are available at P.G. Australia, should someone in the life + 50 world like to convert them to MobileRead formats...(I can't...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #28
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you do is use Book Designer (also include the Book Cleaner files as well) to make the LRF. Rgen follow HarryT's directions on how to then turn it into a PRC. Then download and install the Mobitools, Mobi2IMP and EBook Publisher so you can also turn it into IMP for the eBookWise 1150 and 1200.

Sounds more of a task then it actually is.
I'm curious as to whether Book Designer will take HTML. I'm finding it very easy to take the txt files and put them into HTML, and from there through Mobipocket Creator into prc.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other, I suppose.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #29
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I'm curious as to whether Book Designer will take HTML. I'm finding it very easy to take the txt files and put them into HTML, and from there through Mobipocket Creator into prc.

Six of one and half a dozen of the other, I suppose.
I have used HTML files in BookDEsigner although I feel that I have greater control when using a DOC or RTF as the source file.

There are several schools of thought here. One favors doing a majority of the editing in BD while I am in the other school that does the majority of editing outside of BD.

I will add graphics to the ebook in BD. I currently create the Mobi and IMP files from BD although I am starting to learn the other approach.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #30
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I don't see the point of listing things that are not in the public domain. And a moment's googling, or a wikipedia search, will usually establish the author or translator's death date quite easily.

Sorry if I don't have the time or capability to do a complete and thorough job. But I posted the "work in progress" that I had done - hoping it might shed SOME light on things. I thought Elsi's response was helpful and in the spirit of what I was trying to do.

And for all I know, some of these may be in ill-repute or otherwise not wanted by anybody. I was hoping the rest of you could provide your various perspectives and expertise and whittle this down into an actual "want list".
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote