Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
normal for the orange charging light to always be on?

I recently bought a 2nd-hand (but little-used) DR1000, and even though I have now charged it (from between 20-50%) about 4x, it never turns off the orange battery charging light, even when I leave it loading overnight. Does anyone know why this might be the case? I read in some older threads that there used to be a bug in the old (1.71?) firmwares, where it would only learn when it was full after a number of times, but I couldn't find out how many times I should expect that to be, so any hints would be appreciated. (I can still exchange it for another one.) The device runs on 2.0 rc3.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
No, the orange LED stays on while connected to the charging source, even when fully charged.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
It stays on, but not orange. When fully charged, it turns green, also the little lightning bold over de battery icon (bottom right of screen) goes away at that point.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
It stays on, but not orange. When fully charged, it turns green, also the little lightning bold over de battery icon (bottom right of screen) goes away at that point.
Hm. It doesn't do so here. (Neither the charging icon in the lower right, nor the orange light disappears.) Anyone remember whether this happened to them as well when they just got it? (So I know whether it was something that occurs during the first few charge/discharge cycles, but went away later on, perhaps when the battery control chip learns when full is full?)

Last edited by zerospinboson; 01-08-2012 at 11:24 AM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Gwaihir
The Windlord

That's weird; "full" is supposed to be something the battery itself decides and reports back. [It's load percentages that can be off for a few cycles - the battery reporting "empty" or "full" sooner or later than the controller expects.]

You could try a reset (the hidden button you can click with the stylus). Or perhaps there is a bug tjdean256 is hinting at, but my device fortunately does not experience.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
That's weird; "full" is supposed to be something the battery itself decides and reports back. [It's load percentages that can be off for a few cycles - the battery reporting "empty" or "full" sooner or later than the controller expects.]

You could try a reset (the hidden button you can click with the stylus). Or perhaps there is a bug tjdean256 is hinting at, but my device fortunately does not experience.
The behaviour of the led and the icon has changed from 1.7 to 2.0. In 2.0 the led stays orange and the icon keeps indicating that it is charging (from my experience).
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
In version 1.7 it did turn green when fully charged. The behavior changed with rc2.0.
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Gwaihir
The Windlord

Thanks for that info. So.. how do you guys tell when it's full?

(epub will have me take the plunge to the 2.0 beta some day, but alas that 2.0RC really means 'RC' eh?)
Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
RC means Release Candidate (RC3 is then the third release candidate). Since iRex went bankrupt before they could release the final release there is no 2.0(final). When selecting a different language you will notice that a lot of words have not been translated in the 2.0RC3 version.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Gwaihir
The Windlord

Yeah, I know that's what it means. I was just contemplating the side effects: loose ends that just won't ever be fixed now.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
In my opinion, most loose ends have been fixed by Mackx and Iñigo in their respective patches. The way the devices work with these is probably better than most devices with official firmware. If you are not convinced, have a look at the pocketbook or boox forum for instance.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, dr1000