Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
About six months ago I saw a display of the Sony at a Target Store in a suburb of Omaha. Haven't been back since to check it out. But it is what got me anxious to get a reader and started me on this site to check them out.

BTW, Walmart.com sells the Sony reader at below MFSR. It's been there for at least a month.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #17
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Most eBook stores certainly display a synopsis of the book - FictionWise, BooksOnBoard, etc. Where do you buy your eBooks that doesn't have such a thing?
I meant once purchased. I went to Walmart with her this past September 1st, and she bought all 12 Harlequin Presents for the month of September, 6 Silhouette Desire for this month, and 6 Harlequin Historical for that month. She does that the 1st of each month (buy these 24 books for that particular month). She's 66 and retired 2 years ago.

Elsi I told her about the word files because that's what I do with my Koontz books but she thinks that's a lot of hassle to go through each month. The most she's willing to do is hook up to a computer to purchase her monthly bounty!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #18
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Now I really what Sony has up its sleeve for their Oct. 2nd announcement. It seems like it would be odd for them to release a new model just when they seem to make a real push at selling the 505 in the states as well as in Europe.

Me too - It makes you wonder if they are maybe thinking that they can beat the kindle if they leverage retail stores..and the the Oct 2 announcement being a huge boost to content....

I'd love to see both!
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
"Back cover" blurbs inside ebooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I meant once purchased. I went to Walmart with her this past September 1st, and she bought all 12 Harlequin Presents for the month of September, 6 Silhouette Desire for this month, and 6 Harlequin Historical for that month. She does that the 1st of each month (buy these 24 books for that particular month).
Lilly, one of the reader blogs - DearAuthor.com - has posters who are big romance readers and who also enjoy ebooks. They actually had a column (click here) recently about suggestions for Harlequin on its ebook line.

More than one poster (including me!) made the suggestion that they include the "back cover" material at the front of the ebooks. (Personally, I'd like to see this in all ebooks, not just romance).

A "Harlequin Digital Team" member had posted that they were grateful for the comments, but so far as I know, she never came back and let us know if any of the suggestions were doable.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #20
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Given how people often sort visually, I think a "bookshelf view" showing thumbnails of the covers in a grid, with an alternative to show one row per title with the first couple of lines of the synopsis, would work quite well. Especially if you could select by "books not yet read," by author, etc. I'm really quite surprised at how poor the user interface design is on all the readers.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckeedoug View Post
I hope that Target will actually have a working display. Once the customer actually see the screen I believe this a huge selling point for the reader. If the customer can't touch and see a working unit they equate it to LCD technology with the thought of why buy this product to read with when I can just use my laptop, cellphone, PDA, etc, Sony need to have a FAQ next to the display with the advantages and differences for the E-ink technology. Spelling out battery life, contrast, etc.
The display in the store I went to had a working model, so you can look at the assortment of sample ebooks, turn pages, etc. However, it's entirely bracketed into the display, so unlike the Borders display, you can't hold it in your hand and get a feel for how slim and light it really is.

I don't remember a FAQ or what was on the actually display backdrop, though.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #22
bmwvan
Connoisseur
bmwvan is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 4700/Fictionwise reader/Sony 505
Well, I took my own advice and drove over 350 miles last month to the Sony store closest to my home and bought a couple of 505s. Now Target is to start selling them right down the road. No, I do not feel like an idiot. I do not feel put upon. I do not feel foolish. Really. It was a nice trip in spite of the thunderstorm, the air conditioner going out, and my getting deathly sick. I am glad I didn't wait. And I'd do it all over again...
bmwvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
The display in the store I went to had a working model, so you can look at the assortment of sample ebooks, turn pages, etc. However, it's entirely bracketed into the display, so unlike the Borders display, you can't hold it in your hand and get a feel for how slim and light it really is.
Well, considering how things are handled (and misplaced) at Target, not to mention most electronics stores, that's probably a good thing. A unit that could be held as well as handled, would probably be a dead unit by the time you saw it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #24
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Elsi I told her about the word files because that's what I do with my Koontz books but she thinks that's a lot of hassle to go through each month. The most she's willing to do is hook up to a computer to purchase her monthly bounty!
Maybe a loving daughter can e-mail her a text file every month.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #25
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
It's nice to see that ebook readers are becoming more available. I wish I could have looked at one in person before I bought one. Most people have never seen one, Sony or otherwise. I used to go into the electronics box stores where I live and ask if they had any ebook readers and the staff would look at me like I was from a different planet. (I'm not by the way.) Of course, Chico is possibly the worst place to shop for anything.

When people interested in reading actually start seeing ebook gadgets in person, the knee-jerk reaction of "I won't read a book on a screen" will be abated somewhat.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
What country does the Target chain operates in?
Is it USA?

Sorry for a stupid question, but I did not find this important information in the original announcement.
You see, we are not all Americans here, and with Sony starting to sell in UK, Germany and god-knows-where ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #27
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Yes, USA. It is one of the "discount" chains we have across the Nation.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #28
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Maybe a loving daughter can e-mail her a text file every month.
Not in this lifetime. That would be a chore & I can admit I'm to lazy for that. Plus she would want to come over and have me do it!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #29
hockeynut
Enjoy every sandwich.
hockeynut began at the beginning.

Device: Tri-Sony 505 (blue, silver, silver)
Walmart has it for $267 on their website. I wonder if Target would price match?
hockeynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #30
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Target is an American store, and ours had 505's for over a year, but the display as also been broken for over a year, and I never see any stocked in the glass case where they keep them. I live in Indiana.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, puppy!