Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #16
aludal
Enthusiast
aludal doesn't litteraludal doesn't litter

Device: none (not Nano!)
I can see some Kindle-minded admin running a proxy service on one of Wikipedia servers, to open the whole of Internet to Kindle users, but I'm also ready to compromise:
-- unlimited Internet access, capped/controlled Kindle p2p swap meets, unlimited US cell Kindlephone service (Skype, or Gphone/Android style) for a subscription to buy 12 Amazon (e)books a year. Ah, OK, plus maybe some Amazon Kindle bulletin/catalog of forthcoming publications/advance copies' excerpts.

I can even agree to some extremely popular and/or expensive Amazon Kindle titles might have a 1 month-long life time on my Kindle and their text magically fades away if I failed to swap/return it at Amazon for some credit.

With this gadget, there are so many "nice" ways for Amazon to shave their Kindlesheep out of their dimes and nickels than go for mutton
aludal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:16 AM   #17
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I really doubt unlimited cellphone calls would be allowed in their partnership deal with Sprint. I can't imagine any carrier offering that at a price where they could absorb that in the cost of 12 ebooks especially when you figure they're likely taking a loss on the $9.99 bestsellers. That certainly all sounds like an attractive package for the consumer, of course, but they're a business, not a charity. I'm not a sheep, by the way. I just understand the cost of doing business in the real world.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 01:22 AM   #18
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aludal View Post
I also doubt that Amazon paid any "real" money to any EVDO provider, or roaming service. In Googlespeak, some AdCents changed hands almost invisibly, that's all. All you could see would be an unusual high rank/placement of Sprint spam in your Amazon search results. Click on these once a day, and you've paid for everything including those occasional cell phone calls via your hacked Kindle.
Out of curiosity, I searched for "mobile phone", "cell phone" and just hit the cell phone page through the menus. No Sprint items on the first page. They have them, but they're nowhere near the top.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:46 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't see how Amazon could even think of pulling access to its own titles out of ALL Kindle users. Sounds like seppuku/harakiri to me.
No, what I meant was that, if the machine is "opened up" to general internet applications, what I suspect would happen would be that the EVDO access would be restricted to ONLY downloading books; all other access would be shut off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, what I meant was that, if the machine is "opened up" to general internet applications, what I suspect would happen would be that the EVDO access would be restricted to ONLY downloading books; all other access would be shut off.
Well, downloading books/browsing the store and Wikipedia. They've said they'll keep all that free. From a networking perspective, that's is very easy to do. Now if they start offering the WiFi model that folks have been speculating about, or if people actually mod Kindle 1.0 to use Wifi (the original topic of this thread) then I could see them not minding you using whatever bandwidth-hogging app you could hack into the thing.
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 AM   #21
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I really doubt unlimited cellphone calls would be allowed in their partnership deal with Sprint. I can't imagine any carrier offering that at a price where they could absorb that in the cost of 12 ebooks especially when you figure they're likely taking a loss on the $9.99 bestsellers. That certainly all sounds like an attractive package for the consumer, of course, but they're a business, not a charity. I'm not a sheep, by the way. I just understand the cost of doing business in the real world.
Actually, on my Nokia N800 you can make all the calls I want with Skype, Gizmo and SIP clients...all over wifi. In my case I have an UNLIMTED EVDO Rev A data plan via Millenicom over the Spint/Alltel network for $50/mo and associated hardware to allow connecting on the go to the EVDO network. I stream video/audio too (mostly on my laptop becuase the N800 is very FUSSY about video) and average around 150-180gb data/mo. So a good deal on that option is not out of the question.

The key to something like that though is the CPU/DSP in the device. Bandwidth is low no matter what service...56k of available bandwidth is all a person needs for a call. But as of now the Kindle does not have the processing power to make calls.

Perhaps adding VoIP to the device might, and I mean might, justify the fact Amazon is NOT going to drop the price. I could see Amazon offering an LCD version of the Kindle that is more tablet PC like which integrates with Amazon Unboxed video.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #22
aludal
Enthusiast

To brecklundin:

-- do you know how good or bad Nokia N95 or N99 is with streaming video/TV?

Well, in any case it looks like one might better wait for 9" Kindle 2.0 (with colour touch (O)LED, more horsepower for video/graphics stylus input, to hack it into, or just upgrade it into an art panel/book commenting/authoring/co-operating tool/cell phone/personal TV/video player/EVDO modem for laptop/GPS, or all above and whatnot
Old 05-30-2008, 01:37 AM   #23
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
To brecklundin:

-- do you know how good or bad Nokia N95 or N99 is with streaming video/TV?

Well, in any case it looks like one might better wait for 9" Kindle 2.0 (with colour touch (O)LED, more horsepower for video/graphics stylus input, to hack it into, or just upgrade it into an art panel/book commenting/authoring/co-operating tool/cell phone/personal TV/video player/EVDO modem for laptop/GPS, or all above and whatnot
Sorry I have zero experience with the N95 or N99. The issue might be different as those are actually smart phones vs. the N8x0 devices are classed as internet tablets.

My solution for the whole thing is I am going to buy myself a present because I am doing all my remodeling of the house myself this summer. So with part of the cash I will save, apart for the need for a couple extra buckets of Vicodin as a result of all the home, ummm, improvements, but I am gonna get a TabletKiosk Sahara i440D Slate PC. It's everything I have been wanting. I will likely have the sell blood and possiably a lung and a kidney. But by the gawds I am gonna own one by the end of June. I am ordering next week. Then I will have my N800, my laptops as well as the Sahara Slate. weeeeeeeee....

Sorry I could not offer any help on the video for your devices though. Have you visited the Nokia Users site thought? There might be some tools there where you can either view streams and/or re-encode captured or ripped video to a format your device can play. I am unsure if they can play either Amazon Unboxed or iTunes but it would seem to make sense they could.

There might be a copy of mplayer for the N9x devices. And if it has the correct codecs at least the potential to play video is there. I might add ( forget what I previously mentioned and am too lazy to re-read it all...hehehehe...forgive me for being a lazy, lazy guy...) but the reason the N8x0 devices have probs is due to the encoding settings for most video streams. I am sure I mentioned it's simply fussy and needs a format at about 400x200 @ 24fps. And there is a great tool from Nokia to convert videos in a batch to run on your device.

Anyway, in case you dint know it exists here is a link to the offical Nokia site with software (free of course) for your devices:

http://www.nseries.com/index.html#l=...ations,landing

I am not sure if there is a site similar to the http://garage.maemo.org which is the Nokia supported site for those developing applications for the internet tablets running ITOS2008.

One day, maybe before I get run over by that bus with my name on it, we'll see common sense video streaming where the servers can re-encode for your device on the fly. It WILL happen. I actually see Amazon looking to create so way to stream video to their own device...or not. But somehow I feel that is a few decades out...hehehehehe....
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 AM   #24
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
In my case I have an UNLIMTED EVDO Rev A data plan via Millenicom over the Spint/Alltel network for $50/mo and associated hardware to allow connecting on the go to the EVDO network.
You're paying Sprint $50/month. That's not quite the same as getting unlimited calls through your Kindle If you could do it on your Kindle, would you still be paying Sprint $50/month? Still Amazon likely pays based on bandwidth used so I doubt they'd want to float that.

Last edited by Alisa; 05-30-2008 at 02:06 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #25
aludal
Enthusiast

Kindle DX

or whatever is up now, stubbornly didn't do much in improving the core functionalty. Hopefully it's the same in hackability (isn't it so, igorsk? are you alive still? haven't heard from you lately....). So I'd rather refine my requirements for a "desirable" Kindle 4.0 (or 5.0?):
-- full support of Unicode, CJKV, PDF, OpenOffice, all major ebook formats: one just cannot be "half-pregnant";
-- Pixel Qi technology (touch) 9...10" screen, leave that eInk stuff for cheaper (<$150) Kindle2 level or so models ;
-- Linux tablet formfactor, with a bigger battery, "netbook" (Atom 1.7 GHz, or better) architecture. Maybe slider type keyboard;
-- all the major cell radios (or at least upgradeable to whatever), plus WiFi, WiMax, magicJack "life" (I presume it's extra $150) support over WiFi as a base option;
-- you say your last creature is also useful for college students, let's do it really really useful: a good camera capable of making good shots of whatever pages of textbooks one such student can lay his hands in his/her university, or public (free) library. Good OCR software for it. Art students would love a decent video camera, to simultaneously record some technique demonstration classes while doodling their own masterpieces on the tablet;
-- did you know that "partially available" books in GoogleBooks are actually available in full, one just needs to do enough "smart" googlesearches on a text of a book in question. There should be some scripts/routines doing it for you automagically. Amazon's elibrary is a microscopic non-entity compared to what GoogleBooks has an access to;
-- sure all the original netbook/tablet functionality stays, and with a price tag of $500....$800 you being a poor student can save on a separate netbook ($350....$500) and even separate "smart" phone (smarting you out of ~$1K a year, nicht wahr?)
Old 07-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #26
pmul
Enthusiast
pmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to beholdpmul is a marvel to behold

Device: K-1, K-2-3G, K-3-3G, K4PC, K4iPhone, K4iPad, K-Touch-Wifi, K-Fire, DXG
Hi,
old thread, but interesting, as I am about to receive a Kindle 1, and I live in Germany.
If I understand you correctly, then:
1) There may be a free USB port inside the Kindle 1.
2) Assuming this is the case, a suitable WiFi stick could work, but would need patching of the Linux Kernel?
3) Other than that, the internal Modem is connected via usb2serial, meaning that one could also theoretically connect a TTL(3V?)<->Serial connector here (possibly cutting the lines to the existing modem), and then one could emulate the internal modem via program running on a PC that would then allow tethered access to the Amazon store, etc. without the need for Whisprenet?

Or am I totally on the wrong track(s)?
Regards
,Philip
pmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:09 AM   #27
aludal
Enthusiast

Lese mehr: http://igorsk.blogspot.com/. Google.com ist dein Freund.
Jokes aside:
0. Kindle 2 is quite a bit better choice for the same money. However, I suppose you "receive" your K-1 as a gift? then yes, it's for "deep" hacking.
1. There might be a (free) USB port/hub inside, or holes in the PCB to DIY your own. Try to ask Igor.
2. probably.
3. Are you talking about adding WiFi/tethered access as opposed to Whispernet? do you guys have a carrier/Deutsche Whispernet to play with Kindles' lifetime free online access in Germany? If not, then yeah, you might want to get yourself WiFi module and make it work. Again, ask Igor -- even if he stopped jailbreaking this Kindle toy (I presume Amazon bought him, when they realized Igor can mod and hack it into something monstrous like I described in my post above yours)
Old 07-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
do you guys have a carrier/Deutsche Whispernet to play with Kindles' lifetime free online access in Germany?
No, there are no CDMA carriers in western Europe - we're all GSM (and its successors).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #29
aludal
Enthusiast

then Genosse pmul might need to hack his Kindle into a WiFi device. igorsk is again an ultimate guru in this
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #30
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree, I have no doubt whatsoever that Amazon will kill Kindle web access with great haste if it gets hacked into a free connection, no doubt at all, and I wouldn't blame them a bit.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote