Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you jackie_w for the wonderful explanation. I especially liked the part about Amazon's tags!
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Yes! Thank you so much jackie_w!! I worked so hard getting all my books the way I wanted in calibre, but not displaying on my readers. Your post was so well done and easy to follow, my reader shows me exactly what I want now! Thank you, thank you!!

One quick question. I prefer using tags for collections, but with multiple readers, I was adding a tag for the reader the book was on, which are now collections I don't want. I was wondering if you had a better way of showing in calibre, which books are on each reader when they aren't connected?
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
One quick question. I prefer using tags for collections, but with multiple readers, I was adding a tag for the reader the book was on, which are now collections I don't want. I was wondering if you had a better way of showing in calibre, which books are on each reader when they aren't connected?
Calibre has thought of everything, you know You have 2 choices, pick whichever appeals most:
  1. Suppose you have 2 readers and you're using tags retro1 and retro2 in Calibre to denote which reader(s) a book is on. If you don't want retro1 and retro2 to become Sony Collections on the readers, all you have to do is to put square brackets around those tags, i.e. [retro1] and [retro2]

If you've tagged a lot of books, you can use the Edit metadata button to bulk-rename tag retro1 to [retro1].
    Select all retro1 books by entering tags:retro1 in the search bar
    Highlight them all
    Press the Edit metadata button and on the 'Basic metadata tab',
    Add tags: [retro1]
    Remove tags: retro1
    Repeat to rename retro2 to [retro2]
  2. Create a new Calibre custom column to hold the retro1, retro2 metadata rather than making them tags. The most suitable column-type is probably
    'Comma separated text, like tags, shown in tag browser' or
    'Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values'

FWIW, I use the second option, but don't let that influence you
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
shadowfort
shadowfort began at the beginning.

Device: itouch, sony reader
jackie_w,

Thank you. It helped alot.
shadowfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
BoyScout
ShiftlessBum
BoyScout began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST1
Fantastic!! This is exactly the kind of information I've been looking for. Thanks for providing such great instructions and for doing all the "work".
BoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyScout View Post
Fantastic!! This is exactly the kind of information I've been looking for. Thanks for providing such great instructions and for doing all the "work".
Well, you're very welcome, but the "real work" was done by the Calibre Devs

P.S. Welcome to MobileRead
Old 04-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #22
The_Bird
The_Bird began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 & Kindle PW2
Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I was lost in the fog trying to have logical sorting on my new T1, trying to get help from French forums... Then, I found that luminous explanation and I've found the light (really... I was looking like Jack Blues in James Brown's church...)

Great job, really...
The_Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
The_Bird

Jackie, may I translate your post in French and post it in the French forum where I've searched for help previously ?
http://www.teamalexandriz.org/forum/...php?board=49.0
Old 04-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #24
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bird View Post
Jackie, may I translate your post in French and post it in the French forum where I've searched for help previously ?
http://www.teamalexandriz.org/forum/...php?board=49.0
Well it's certainly preferable to asking ME to translate it into French

Seriously though, of course you may. The more happy Sony users there are the better.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
The_Bird

Here is your translated masterpiece :

http://www.teamalexandriz.org/forum/...8762#msg108762

To be honest, I don't remember if you may read this post without registering to the forum... If you're curious, you'll try

And once more :
Old 04-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
This is amazing--thank you. I had been thinking I wanted something like this instead of having to go to Collections each time to get a list of series in order.

Does PRS+ interfere in any way with this or provide similar functionality? I will try this as soon as I get home tonight but just wondering, as I couldn't live without PRS+.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #27
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Does PRS+ interfere in any way with this or provide similar functionality? I will try this as soon as I get home tonight but just wondering, as I couldn't live without PRS+.
I also use PRS+ on my PRS505 and 650. The methods do not interfere with each other.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #28
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Thank you again for your detailed instructions. It seemed daunting but was not at all, done in a few minutes, and I *love* how I can see collections next to authors and how the books are sorted. I was always annoyed by how books weren't sorted within collections.. this is wonderful! and thank you to the calibre developer(s).
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #29
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Thanks for the instructions, from me, too. I used some of the tips to modify settings on my T1 and in Calibre. Now Calibre will show the mobi's I have loaded into the Sony, not just the epubs. Very nice!

I noticed after I unhooked it that, on the Sony side, under Collections, there are 4 times as many as there were before, this despite my changing tags so they wouldn't show up. I don't know why it shows over 2000 collections when I don't have more than 10 or 15 tags in Calibre. Well I think it includes author, title and series as a Collection there. Which seems odd.

I did have the T1 freeze while I was poking around in it after updating the metadata then unhooking it from the computer. (I didn't load any books, but I did delete a few via Calibre). I was trying some of the features I don't normally use. I believe I was on the Android side going through the Books by Author list in Coolreader. It froze in such a way that not even reset affected it. The only thing that worked was to plug the USB into the computer. That broke the freeze and restored it. I left in in to charge for a while (though it was fully charged). It has been working fine since, though I am reluctant to mess with that particular feature again!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #30
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@booklover6,
Do you have books loaded on an external SD card? I don't use one myself, but as far as I know there has been a long-standing problem with Calibre/Collection management when an external SD card is involved. You can read more about it here (also see post#303 in the same thread).

I also noticed that it was mentioned again in the BugFixes section of the changelog of the most recent Calibre version v0.8.48. You can read about the latest state of play via the ticket reference link.

Also I expect you are aware that the Collections on the external SD and in internal memory are independent of each other, e.g. if you have Sci-Fi books in both locations, you will have 2 Sci-Fi Collections.