Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
Saleem
Saleem began at the beginning.

Device: sony 500
Page size for conversions

Greetings,
I am still new to the Sony PRS-500 so bear with me.

I have several books which I would like to convert (works which I myself have translated or worked on for other publishers) and thus, have the DOC files with me. Is there a standard page size I should be using (in MS Word) when I want to begin the process of conversion of these titles?

I should mention that they are multi-language books (English with Arabic, Farsi and some with Urdu) - would I have a problem viewing these on the Sony??

Thanks
Saleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Saleem.

With multi-language books like you're describing, you'll pretty much have to go with font-embedded PDF files. You can find the details on formatting here, including a discussion of how to format PDFs for best viewing on the Reader.

The only thing I'd warn you of is that font-embedded PDFs are sometimes rather slow about page turning on the Reader, just so you know to expect it. You'll have to decide for yourself if it's acceptable to you or not.

The other suggestion I can offer is to try font embedding with BookDesigner, the drawback there, in addition to about a 2 second page turn for embedded fonts, is that creating the books would be pretty labor intensive, since you'd have to go through and mark the non-English passages in the appropriate font, which is kinda labor intensive.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert