Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Salman Rushdie Knighted

I'm delighted to see that Salman Rushdie has been knighted (he's now "Sir Salman Rushdie") in the Queen's "Birthday Honours List" announced today. Rushdie is probably the most significant "Anglo-Indian" author writing today, and all his books are wonderful - if you've never read any, I do urge you to do so!

(All the fuss about "The Satanic Verses" came, I'm certain, predominantly from people who'd never actually read it, as is usually the case in these situations.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I actually don't like Rushdie much. His portrayals of the sub-continent are a trifle histrionic. But I should say that disliking Anglo-Indian authors is something of a tradition in India :-)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2007, 03:30 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reason I was so surprised by this is that being knighted for being an author is an incredibly rare thing. In fact I can think of only one other author it's happened to - Arthur Conan Doyle, although I'm sure there must be a few other examples. People with titles quite often write books (eg Baronness Orczy, Sir Henry Rider Haggard), but to be given a title for being an author is just amazingly rare. I'm very pleased for Mr Rushdie - he's had to put up with a lot of bad stuff.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No doubt, I don't say he shouldn't have his knighthood. He certainly deserves it on the grounds of personal courage alone, I just don't like his writing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fair enough .
Advert
Old 06-20-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Ah, some people diagree with you HarryT

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle1951462.ece
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1955955.ece
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I know - it's caused a big fuss in Pakistan. They've summoned the British Ambassador to express their disapproval, etc.