Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)
MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Better question is what DOESN'T this family have?! Current: Kindle PW
Paperwhite Battery Issue?!

Let me start by saying: Absolutely LOVE my paperwhite - it's fantastic. I have read more books in the past month than I have in years - seriously.

I noticed the other day though that after reading a book in a single setting (about 8-9 hours ish) with no wifi on, the Paperwhite had gone from about full battery to maybe 40% ish or less.

Is this normal?

Wifi wasn't on (that I remember) and the only other thing I can think is I deliver thinks via Whispernet a bunch (free books off Amazon, the auto-deliver option)

Does anyone else have this issue? Is this normal? I would just like a reality check before I call Amazon or anything. I have had it since ... oh probably October, but just started to notice this (since my reading has since picked up).

Thank you!
MrsAmandaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What setting do you have the light set to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Sounds pretty normal to me.

The ad says "8 week battery life (30 mins/day, wireless off, light at 10)". So let's do the math: that actually means 8*7*0.5 hours non-stop, meaning about 28 hours. Your 8-9 hours would be ~1/3 of that, so arithmetically, you should have ~60-70% left according to the ad. Other factors are light intensity setting and few uncertainties/"measurement errors" here and there.

IMO, there's nothing to worry about.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sounds normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAmandaK View Post
Let me start by saying: Absolutely LOVE my paperwhite - it's fantastic. I have read more books in the past month than I have in years - seriously.

I noticed the other day though that after reading a book in a single setting (about 8-9 hours ish) with no wifi on, the Paperwhite had gone from about full battery to maybe 40% ish or less.

Is this normal?

Wifi wasn't on (that I remember) and the only other thing I can think is I deliver thinks via Whispernet a bunch (free books off Amazon, the auto-deliver option)

Does anyone else have this issue? Is this normal? I would just like a reality check before I call Amazon or anything. I have had it since ... oh probably October, but just started to notice this (since my reading has since picked up).

Thank you!
That sounds normal to me. I can get 12 hours of reading with my PW with WiFi off other than for syncing. I go down to the 15% level before charging. If you just keep reading, the 15% warning will flash on your PW screen when you reach that level.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
That sounds normal to me. I can get 12 hours of reading with my PW with WiFi off other than for syncing. I go down to the 15% level before charging. If you just keep reading, the 15% warning will flash on your PW screen when you reach that level.
You use a very high light level, as I recall. That will drastically shorted the battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You use a very high light level, as I recall. That will drastically shorted the battery life.
I use it at 22 level of the 24 possible almost all the time. In low light I drop the PW light to 18. However, I prefer using my KFHD7-32 in low light with auto-brightness on and white fonts on the black screen.

My goal in use is reading enjoyment and comfort, not long battery life. The PW looks really great with the 22 light level. Its screen whiteness fades in appearance as the light level is reduced.

Also, I recharge at 15% - not 0% as some others do.

However, each PW should be used down to 0% at least once to calibrate the battery meter and to fully activate all the chemicals in the Lithium battery. At the 15% level a warning appears on the screen and at the 0% level the entire screen freezes with a picture of a battery icon, a wire and a lightning bolt.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-05-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Also, how many books did you transfer onto the device at one time? Could indexing significantly affect the battery life?

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I thought that I would never use the light on the paper white so I got myself an basic kindle. A few months later I noticed that I do in fact read in low lighting and the dark so I got myself a paper white and let me tell you I can definitely see what Amanda sees in the paper white, I love it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
MrsAmandaK
Nerdy and I know it ;)
MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsAmandaK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Better question is what DOESN'T this family have?! Current: Kindle PW
The light varied because I read both in bright light and in the dark. I probably stick close to around 15. I don't need it full brightness in order to read even in a bright room.

Ok this makes me feel much better. I will try and pay more attention to see if it drains itself anymore, but if you are saying its about right then I believe I will take it!
MrsAmandaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'm still on the charge it came with. I've read 18 hours so far. I use my light at 8 settings. The battery life seems excellent on the PW.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'm still on the charge it came with. I've read 18 hours so far. I use my light at 8 settings. The battery life seems excellent on the PW.
I am with you on this one. I have only had to charge by battery on average 1 time a month. My light is around settings 8-10
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I am with you on this one. I have only had to charge by battery on average 1 time a month. My light is around settings 8-10
Nice isn't it? I got about 25 hours out of the default charge which was a little under half way. I finally gave it's full charge last night. I'm not sure if it gives the battery charge message like other Kindles. It was down to it's last bar. So now we will see how much I get from a full charge.

I use the condensed font at size 5.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Oh, I forgot to add that my wifi is on also. I wonder what I would get if I turned it off.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard

I believe most PW battery use cycle estimates are WAY over estimated. The only way to measure the PW properly is by use of an Excel spreadsheet with individual reading sessions entered. I really doubt that 99.99% ever bother measuring it that way.

I did that for three cycles and got 10 hours with WiFi on and 12 hours with WiFi off. Obviously, I did NOT use that method for all the other cycles.

With the KFHD the only accurate method is by use of the GSam Battery Monitor. I doubt the vast majority do that either. Using that method for my KFHD7-32 I get 5.5 hours with WiFi on and 7 hours with WiFi off. The Screen Usage number right before a recharge would be the critical number.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-07-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Light on at 12-14, wifi or 3g on, I get about 10-12 hours between charges.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote