Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 AM   #61
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Staying late at school to play games on the BBC Computer
We didn't have games on our computers at school. But we did at home, on my father's Apple. You only had to type them in yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Only 3 TV Channels (UK)
That's one more than we had! But then, we also had the BRT (Belgian channels) (those were in Dutch too, or rather Flemish, but that's close enough )

Talking about games...

Playing all through the night, only stopping to walk the dog at around 2 in the morning. The game? Civilization by Sid Meyer.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #62
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I wish I would finally get to the point where I don't remember that there's something I can't remember but need to remember.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #63
sriram
Nameless Being

I remember when we had no television, relying on books, imagination and a short-wave radio for entertainment; Writing a computer program meant punching holes on cards and feeding them through a card reader (no monitors); and a 30MB hard disk drive held all code and data for a company.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #64
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I remember movie theaters with only one screen and you had to wait for weeks for that new anticipated movie to come to town.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #65
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I remember movie theaters with only one screen and you had to wait for weeks for that new anticipated movie to come to town.
They showed two main features on Saturday mornings, with a episode of Flash Gordon, Gene Autry, or Zorro (sometimes all three!) and the Movietone News before the main movies. The matron would be patrolling the aisles with her flashlight, throwing out the rowdy kids! Entry fee was 25 cents and that included a big box of popcorn.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #66
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I remember interstate phone calls costing $.38/minute. I never complain about the cost of cellphone calls.

And I remember when MTV played music. (It was a shock finding out why they stopped... apparently, the Nielsen ratings were unable to get numbers for 3 minute videos so they couldn't figure out where to put the marketing dollars. Once they switched to half-hour shows, they could gather stats usable to convince advertisers to spend money.)

And I remember typing papers on an Adam tape-drive word processor. Shudder.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #67
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I remember laughing at all the jokes I didn't get on Are You Being Served? and The Benny Hill Show.
I remember the shock I had when I saw Are You Being Served in colour for the first time and seeing that Mrs Slocum had purple hair!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #68
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Remember the first time you saw color TV? I saw 'Bonanza' in color on a friend's TV and was astounded! There was so much GREEN!!! Trees, grass, the mountains... westerns were supposed to be shades of gray, but 'Bonanza' was green! Now the only B&W TV's I see are people's front door security!

Stitchawl
Old 08-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #69
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
Our neighbors were the first on our block to get a color tv. We went to their house to watch Bonanza because it was such a beautiful show in color. The episode they had on that evening was the one where Adam was lost in the desert, so all we saw for most of the show was sand.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #70
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I remember when candy bars cost 5 cents ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #71
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Remember the first time you saw color TV? I saw 'Bonanza' in color on a friend's TV and was astounded! There was so much GREEN!!! Trees, grass, the mountains...
Green lawn, and Lorne Greene !!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #72
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I remember when candy bars cost 5 cents ...
... and a "Three Musketeers" Bar was semi-ridged so that you could break it and share with two other friends!

Stitchawl
Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #73
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
I remember when the Atari 2600 was the coolest toy. I remember 8" floppies, when MacDonalds Happy Meals came in nifty and interesting boxes even some shaped as flying saucers.

In a weird way I sometimes feel nostalgic for the days when I never seemed to have enough hard disk space. Now a days I my drives are typically only half full at any given time. Gone are the clever archiving strategies and shuffling applications around between floppies and hard disks depending on what I needed to do at the time. It was a major part of my computing life for about two decades but in the last decade hard disks are so large that it's hardly an issue. [sigh]
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #74
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
In a weird way I sometimes feel nostalgic for the days when I never seemed to have enough hard disk space. Now a days I my drives are typically only half full at any given time. Gone are the clever archiving strategies and shuffling applications around between floppies and hard disks depending on what I needed to do at the time. It was a major part of my computing life for about two decades but in the last decade hard disks are so large that it's hardly an issue. [sigh]
Do you ever find yourself starting to panic when you fill your disk more than half full, before remembering that, actually, you've still got tons of free space left?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #75
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Do you ever find yourself starting to panic when you fill your disk more than half full, before remembering that, actually, you've still got tons of free space left?
My first 'real' computer (IBM286) had a 20M hard drive that held all my software and data. DOS 2.0 was the operating system. I bought it to write my graduate thesis. WordPerfect 5 (complete with Keyboard template for the function keys,) had all the correct pagination, footnote, headers, etc., built right in! (If those weren't correct, the thesis committee wouldn't accept your work!) All text-based, no GUI yet.... And I never worried about running out of storage space.

These days I have over 4.5 terabytes of storage on two internal and four external drives... and I worry.

(But I've got back-ups of my back-ups )

I miss my Vic20. 20k of computer hooked to the TV, playing interactive games in text! Yellow text on a black screen. Those were the days...

Stitchawl