Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2024, 10:50 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Question Repeating table headers

Working on a EPUB2 document (not kepub) with a table spanning multiple pages (on my kobo), I figured it would be nice to have the table header repeating itself for the benefit of the reader. Well, I used the obvious setting below, which did not work of course (on my kobo, but also other devices).
Code:
thead { display: table-header-group; }
So my question: Has anybody ever been able to make this work? On a kobo? On any device?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:37 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Does anything on this work?
https://www.w3schools.com/html//html_table_headers.asp

It's maybe one of many things that works on websites and not in ebooks.

I don't do text books or similar, really just novels, so I've only experience with tables on websites and that not for years due to using CMS and plugins.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-23-2024 at 11:40 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2024, 12:12 PM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've seen those, but they won't work. Not when crossing a page boundary. Problem is that repeating table headings are not clearly defined in the CSS specs, lest it is implemented in ereaders. But you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I don't do text books or similar, really just novels, so I've only experience with tables on websites and that not for years due to using CMS and plugins.
I sometimes create my own ebooks and like to include an appendix containing all relevant info, references, etc. By adding them to the book they won't get lost as long as the ebook itself does not get lost
Old 02-23-2024, 01:52 PM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've tried to get repeating table headings working on the Libra 2 and never could. I guess the Libra 2 software ignores repeating table headers along with the <tfoot> tag.

I tried with the following...
Code:
<thead>
  <tr>
    <th></th>
    <th></th>
  </tr>
</thead>
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/.../Element/thead
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:51 PM   #5
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't suspect it will work but worth a try.
Perhaps it is supported by epub3, convert the file to epub3.

I would also suggest to test the epub3 file with the kepub renderer by changing the file extension from .epub to kepub.epub

If this does work you can at least convert the final epub2 to epub3.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2024, 03:07 PM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I've tried to get repeating table headings working on the Libra 2 and never could. I guess the Libra 2 software ignores repeating table headers along with the <tfoot> tag.
Well, Libra 2 works with the <thead>, as my following construct is working for the header:
Code:
  thead tr td {
    border-bottom: solid 2px;
    background: #eee;
  }
I found this site also handy.

What is not working is the "zebra" setting (alternate row coloring):
Code:
  tbody tr:nth-child(even) {
    background: #eee;
  }
Currently the Libra 2 does not recognize the ":nth-child" selector and such. It does work on the PocketBook app though.
Oh well.

Last edited by DrChiper; 02-23-2024 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:13 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I've seen those, but they won't work. Not when crossing a page boundary. Problem is that repeating table headings are not clearly defined in the CSS specs, lest it is implemented in ereaders. But you never know.

I sometimes create my own ebooks and like to include an appendix containing all relevant info, references, etc. By adding them to the book they won't get lost as long as the ebook itself does not get lost
Try KePub and see if your table header works there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:13 PM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I don't suspect it will work but worth a try.
Perhaps it is supported by epub3, convert the file to epub3.

I would also suggest to test the epub3 file with the kepub renderer by changing the file extension from .epub to kepub.epub

If this does work you can at least convert the final epub2 to epub3.
I want to keep clear of KEPUB files as they disable selection and marking on Kobo devices.
EPUB2 >> EPUB3 might work, but I have no clue yet how Kobo's support is for EPUB3 (I suspect very minimal at the moment), but I can give it a shot.
Old 02-23-2024, 03:20 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I want to keep clear of KEPUB files as they disable selection and marking on Kobo devices.
Using kepubify (standalone) or the KoboTouchExtended driver on calibre will allow selection and marking to work as they add the required spans.

Quote:
EPUB2 >> EPUB3 might work, but I have no clue yet how Kobo's support is for EPUB3 (I suspect very minimal at the moment), but I can give it a shot.
ePub 3 support by the RMSDK renderer on Kobo ereaders is better but the WebKit renderer used to kepub is still more feature complete. I'd give it a try but would not get overly optimistic.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:28 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
ePub 3 support by the RMSDK renderer on Kobo ereaders is better but the WebKit renderer used to kepub is still more feature complete. I'd give it a try but would not get overly optimistic.
ePub 3 support on version of RMSDK used by Kobo is quite poor. Access (ued by KePub) is much better for ePub 3. For example, small-caps does not work with RMSDK but does with Access. small-caps does work with the current version of RMSDK but Kobo uses some version 10 instead of the current version 11.xx
Old 02-23-2024, 03:32 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Access (ued by KePub) is much better for ePub 3.
Just a note that the renderer used by Kobo is no longer ACCESS. The current renderer is based on Readium's WebKit based renderer for which ACCESS is an ancestor.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:40 PM   #12
DrChiper
Bookish

EPUB2 >> EPUB3 does not work for repeating headers and selector "nth-child": I would say kobo Libra 2 behaves further the same.

Now trying the kepub, but first unfreezing Libra 2 as it stopped working (happens from time to time).

Update:
KEPUB does honor selector "nth-child", but does not show repeating headers. So I guess that like most implementations the display: table-header-group; is regarded for printing only, hence not supported.

Update 2:
Kobo's EPUB uses just CSS 2.01: nothing more.
Kobo's KEPUB seems to use CSS 3.x: the selectors I tested (mind not all!) work.
Repeating headers are still a pleasant dream, though.

Last edited by DrChiper; 02-27-2024 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:17 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
EPUB2 >> EPUB3 does not work for repeating headers and selector "nth-child": I would say kobo Libra 2 behaves further the same.

Now trying the kepub, but first unfreezing Libra 2 as it stopped working (happens from time to time).

Update:
KEPUB does honor selector "nth-child", but does not show repeating headers. So I guess that like most implementations the display: table-header-group; is regarded for printing only, hence not supported.
Read this thread. It may help.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347972
Old 02-27-2024, 05:34 AM   #14
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Read this thread. It may help.
Interesting, but it does not work for me.

I found this which explained some. Kobo has problems with detecting page-breaks, which is the trigger for the repeating table headers.
Other devices seem to have the same issue.

Last edited by DrChiper; 02-27-2024 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:37 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Interesting, but it does not work for me.
Maybe it just cannot be done.