Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
eBook Readers 101

I've done a couple of posts that focus on eBooks in an academic sense at my student productivity blog MindfulInk that may interest some of you. But my audience isn't guys who hang out in eBook forums - but students who don't know much about this stuff, so it's not going to get into hard details.

Also, do keep in mind that space is limited so I only covered a few of the main devices and I no doubt left out details and many other bits of information - but as a blog post can't be a novel, I did try to point interested parties in the right directions to find out more.

E-Book Readers 101, Part I
E-Book Readers 101, Part II
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any particular reason that you don't mention the CyBook Gen3? In many ways it's the most flexible eInk reader out there - eg it's the only one that allows you to load your own fonts onto it, and has proper support for font families, rather than synthesising bold and italic fonts as the Sony does. It also has the best dictionary support of any reader, which is important for school use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Not any particular reason. It was more I could only really only cover so much. So I picked the most popular, the most widely known, and then the "power user" option (since it would be of the most use to technical fields.)

Most students who read my blog, however, are fairly technically aware and will probably look into the issue themselves to figure out the best solution for them.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I understand. Is your blog only aimed at Americans? If not, perhaps you should mention that the Kindle is only available in the US?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

That's a good point. Most my hits are from Americans, but I have a few regular European readers. I'll make a follow up post and hit on some of these issues.
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I enjoyed reading it, I should add. Very well written.