Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Although I don't care if a tablet has an SD card slot or not, if I were a manufacturer I would insist on adding a micro-SD slot to my tablets simply because people are so use to having them come standard on smartphones and many other electronic devices. It gets expensive adding more RAM, so they could add an inexpensive micro-SD slot as an alternative. Assuming of course that Android can deal properly with these slots. If Android/iOS are flaky with a port I would leave it out of the spec.
Less RAM for the sake of micro-SD?! No thanks. RAM is much needed for the newer games out there.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Less RAM for the sake of micro-SD?! No thanks. RAM is much needed for the newer games out there.
That's not what I said or meant. If a manufacturer can only afford to include 8 GB of RAM in order to sell a tablet at a given price, then instead of trying to put a greater amount of RAM which would drive up the price substantially they could add a relatively inexpensive SD slot. That way the tablet would still have only 8 GB but buyers could add more storage via cheap SD cards.
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I want a tablet primarily for watching videos while on vacation. Most of my vacation spots don't have WiFi. Therefore, I need a card slot in order to watch videos.
Who watches videos on vacation?
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #19
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
Who watches videos on vacation?
Oh, not again. We've already been down this road in another similar thread!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Oh, not again. We've already been down this road in another similar thread!
That's why I'm not responding to it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 AM   #21
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
That's not what I said or meant. If a manufacturer can only afford to include 8 GB of RAM in order to sell a tablet at a given price, then instead of trying to put a greater amount of RAM which would drive up the price substantially they could add a relatively inexpensive SD slot. That way the tablet would still have only 8 GB but buyers could add more storage via cheap SD cards.
I'm not even getting into this again after the argument in another thread, but RAM is not the same thing as storage.

I KINDA agree with you though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #22
rgc2005
rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'rgc2005 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
The Kindle Fire needs an idiot proof syncing program like Apple has with iTunes. The vast majority of users are not tech literate enough to maximize the Fire beyond the current cloud system. The Amazon Cloud is not intuitive or efficient enough to drive content consumption the way iTunes does. How many new Kindle Fire users have plugged the USB cable in only to get a "Device Driver Not Found" and simply quit thinking something was wrong?
rgc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #23
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Agreed for the most part. At the least, if the price is low enough...I could swing selling the current Fire for a decent chunk towards getting the next one.

At the least, it would be worth considering. I would really hope for an SD slot, though. That would make it an immediate I'm-camping-out-in-front-of-the-nearest-Amazon-warehouse-for-pickup purchase for me.
I definitely would not buy the new Kindle Fire unless it had an SD slot of some kind (micro?), but Amazon is so enamored of "The Cloud" that it ain't gonna happen EVER.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #24
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
I'm not even getting into this again after the argument in another thread, but RAM is not the same thing as storage.

@jessica: please accept my appology for previous aggressive comments in the "other thread".

Okay, I agree with you that memory and storage ARE different in that memory is a subset of storage. Memory stores information for immediate or long term use (including biological and computer memory). Storage can store information AND physical objects (you can store you car in a garage). This gets blurred when information is represented as physical objects, such as a storage box full of books that contain information. Technically, the books are the memory storage device, and the box containing them is the physical storage device in that case. The dividing line between memory and storage has always been rather blurred (such as magnetic core memory storage, and drum memory storage, both of which were used for CPU register storage and for archival storage). These words are often confused and misused in technical literature. Sorry about any previous confusion or disagreement, but fifty years of professional experience in computer hardware and software design tells me that I am right.

P.S. I just bought a Nexus 7 after reading your other thread. Thanks for posting that information!

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-10-2012 at 08:45 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #25
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"The Kindle Fire needs an idiot proof syncing program like Apple has with iTunes.
"

NO!!!!! strongly Disagree!!

IMHO the biggest drawback of the Ipad is dependence on the latest version of itunes

I have an OLD intel Macbook (2007)
running an Old version of the OS (10.4)
for logistical reasons I wont be up grading it
But it recognizes my Kindle Fire as just another generic USB drive to which I can drag & Drop files for side loading.

A special kindle fire "syncing program" from Amazon will have to keep up with all the Windows/Mac OS updates and will likely have some draconian
("Side loaded App not authorized") DRM Bull Crap...NO thanks!!
I want to load what I want On my device without some middleware nanny app meddling in the process.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #26
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I want to load what I want On my device without some middleware nanny app meddling in the process.
Agreed, there. One less thing to have to worry about when putting stuff on my device(s).
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

How about saying "built-in or onboard storage" and SD card storage. You are absolutely correct about RAM not being onboard storage. I used the wrong term. My bad.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How about saying "built-in or onboard storage" and SD card storage. You are absolutely correct about RAM not being onboard storage. I used the wrong term. My bad.
A lot of our embedded controllers stored their configuration in RAM chips that had built-in lithium batteries. But some needed replacing after 10 years or so in some machine tools. So even RAM is often used for long term non-volatile storage. MMC (and other flash memory) chips are a lot higher capacity and cheaper (and surface mount), so it is more popular these days. I recently had to get a free sample battery-backed RAM chip to replace the one in my thermal camera, so I do not have to reconfigure it every time I turn on the power. There is no clear boundary between memory and storage, but in general usage, memory is a subset of storage. "Onboard" is not a clear distinction either, because the SoC (system on chip) used in the kindles contains both volatile and nonvolatile memory storage (RAM/ROM and programmable permanent storage). SD card storage is a clear distinction though (up to a point). Even onboard chips can use the same communications protocol as an SD card, so from a programmer's perspective it is the same thing. MMC memory storage is available in both onboard chips and in removable SD-card format. Before SSDs (solid state drives) became affordable, external high-speed backup storage could be purchased that contained a large quantity of battery-backed RAM chips.

All I am saying is that it is not safe to make an absolute statement that there is any clear distinction between memory/storage or onboard/external. They are just different implementations of the same thing (with the exception that storage can also contain physical objects that do not represent information).

EDIT: Okay, fine. Be happy with your absolute belief in absolute definitions, despite a ton of technical literature that uses these words in very non-absolute and conflicting ways, and a lot of real hardware that also crosses any artificial boundaries you have defined.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-10-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Semantics is the key term here. I really don't care what the internal storage capacity is called or what the technical term for SD card storage is called. All this technical jargon is a moot point. The point I was trying to make is SIMPLY this:

The average consumer sees the 8GB storage capacity of a tablet s/he is considering purchasing. S/he thinks that perhaps that is not enough for all those MP3s, videos, apps, etc. s/he owns. But wait, look here is an SD card slot. So now the consumer's perception is, "Okay I can now live with only 8GB of device storage if I can insert SD cards into it." So s/he buys the device.

Is the consumer's perception correct? It really doesn't matter because s/he made the purchase. Are we using the correct terminology here? Who gives a crap as that has absolutely nothing to do with the point being made.

It is a simple as that. A consumer who is on the fence teeter-tottering about whether to purchase a tablet with only 8GB of storage is probably more likely to purchase this tablet if it has an SD card slot because they perceive that as meaning more storage space.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #30
geekmaster

Quote:
Semantics is the key term here. I really don't care what the internal storage capacity is called or what the technical term for SD card storage is called. All this technical jargon is a moot point. The point I was trying to make is SIMPLY this:

The average consumer sees the 8GB storage capacity of a tablet s/he is considering purchasing. S/he thinks that perhaps that is not enough for all those MP3s, videos, apps, etc. s/he owns. But wait, look here is an SD card slot. So now the consumer's perception is, "Okay I can now live with only 8GB of device storage if I can insert SD cards into it." So s/he buys the device.

Is the consumer's perception correct? It really doesn't matter because s/he made the purchase. Are we using the correct terminology here? Who gives a crap as that has absolutely nothing to do with the point being made.

It is a simple as that. A consumer who is on the fence teeter-tottering about whether to purchase a tablet with only 8GB of storage is probably more likely to purchase this tablet if it has an SD card slot because they perceive that as meaning more storage space.
Okay, perhaps in the context of tablet computing, "internal storage" and "removable storage" (whether a USB stick or an SD card) are more appropriate terms because they match the terms used in those specifications. Other contexts use these words in different ways.