Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
puppychair123
puppychair123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Angry Some words stick together after pdf to mobi conversion!

I've done a thousand Google searches about this, and I've come up with nothing. I'm honestly about to pull my own hair out now, I'm so fed up with being unable to solve this problem. I've also searched on this site, but found nothing.

Anyway, I have some books that are pdfs and I went ahead and downloaded Mobipocket Creator because I read that it takes away the ligatures problem. Sooooo, I try to convert my pdf and when I open it with the Mobipocket reader and with Calibre (the newest version), there are words that are linked together! What I mean by that is that there are random places where there aren't spaces. Most of the time it's between three words with an italicized one in the middle, but not always.

I've tried everything else to get around this problem, but have come up short. I can't stand it if letters are gone. Someone please help me before I use a gun on myself please.
puppychair123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
grunlowen
grunlowen began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wonder if it has something to do with <span>s, which would be around the ital text.

I found an issue where if I put a special character next to a span (for example <span>&zwnj that it would create a duplicate copy of the closest word.

Not sure what the fix is, but I'm finding out that epub is superior to mobi, as I have had way fewer issues.
grunlowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The problem is the fact that you're trying to convert PDF. I'm afraid PDF just can't be cleanly converted to other formats. OCR, rather than file conversion, is generally to best way to do it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
puppychair123
puppychair123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I'm still new to all of this, so what, exactly, is OCR? Someone please? I know I probably sound like a noob/dumb.
puppychair123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Optical character recognition. A program which "looks" at a page and reads text from it. One of the market leaders, which works extremely well with PDFs, is "Abbyy Finereader".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
I use OmniPage 17 OCR software...but remember, an OCR'd document (usually in an "rtf" or "doc" file) has to be proofed to the print version...OCR using any software will not be a perfect conversion to editable text.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle, mobi, mobipocket, pdf