Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
MechTheTech
MechTheTech began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to Set Device Name

Ok, maybe I am blind and/or stupid, but I can't seem to find anywhere in the interface or on the web on how to set the device's name in Calibre. I have 3 different Kindles and I want to be able to identify which Kindle is connected to Calibre other than it showing up as 'Main' - is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks!!!
MechTheTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre does not track individual devices, so there is no way to do this.

It is a feature that has been requested, so it may appear in a future Calibre release if we are lucky.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps putting a small physical label on each kindle would help?
Not elegant but you could turn your head and see it at a glance.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTheTech View Post
Ok, maybe I am blind and/or stupid, but I can't seem to find anywhere in the interface or on the web on how to set the device's name in Calibre. I have 3 different Kindles and I want to be able to identify which Kindle is connected to Calibre other than it showing up as 'Main' - is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks!!!
Can you set a 'Volume Name' for your Kindle device storage from the OS?
All my SD cards have 'Labels' that show in Calibre Save to Disk.

Devs: is it possible to grab the Volume label and show it some how in the GUI?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
thundt
Kindler
thundt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Can you set a 'Volume Name' for your Kindle device storage from the OS?
All my SD cards have 'Labels' that show in Calibre Save to Disk.
Yes, you can set the volume label. Mine is just "Kindle". (Still shows up as "Main" as far as Calibre device name goes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Devs: is it possible to grab the Volume label and show it some how in the GUI?
I like this idea. The OP could name his Kindles "Kindle1", "Kindle2" etc.
thundt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Unfortunately, using names for devices opens pandora's box. We would be immediately faced with (inundated with) requests to track contents by device, to queue news to specific devices, to manage collections by device (at least for sonys), to configure plugins by device, configure libraries by device, save preferences by device, and a host of other things. It is easier to do nothing than to deal with the problem. In effect, "no good deed goes unpunished". I've been there and done that, and am not interested in going there again.

Up to now, no developer has felt enough personal need for the feature to be willing to deal with the hassle. I know that I don't need it, even though I have two Sony 300s. I would rather work on things that I use or on things that are for some reason intellectually challenging.

If someone is interesting in taking this on, then I would be happy to explain how to get and set calibre's device_info record that is stored on each device, and to provide pointers into calibre's device management to deal with the issues that will arise. In the past, Kovid's position has been that he will accept such code if he is convinced that the changes are useful (don't think that would be an issue), and (important here) he is convinced that the contributor will be stay around to maintain the changes.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Book Sync plugin is now a way down this route of tracking specific devices. It allows you to queue items to be queued to a specific device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote